Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 08:39 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
You are talking about a relatively small pool of contenders here. In NJ its only 34/565 municipalities that even qualify for this list. Given the selections I think that they did a pretty good job of selecting the best, but you are certainly not talking about the elite towns of NJ by any means, those are just too small population wise. Although I'm surprised Wayne and Hoboken were beat out by Parsippany and Piscataway.

They also exclude "places with a median family income of more than 210% of the state average or a median home price of $1 million or more". I wonder if the family income could have had an impact on Hoboken? Otherwise, who knows how their "proprietary formula" deals with their 45 factors? By not revealing more of their methods, the ranking just becomes more suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 08:45 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,653 times
Wow...Cap May County didn't even make the list of contenders with its lower taxes (offshore)?

Old 09-30-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Wow...Cap May County didn't even make the list of contenders with its lower taxes (offshore)?
Does it have any cities with 50,000 people?

Old 09-30-2014, 11:40 AM

201 posts, read 619,635 times
Quote:
You are talking about a relatively small pool of contenders here. In NJ its only 34/565 municipalities that even qualify for this list. Given the selections I think that they did a pretty good job of selecting the best, but you are certainly not talking about the elite towns of NJ by any means, those are just too small population wise. Although I'm surprised Wayne and Hoboken were beat out by Parsippany and Piscataway.

The contenders:
Newark
Jersey City
Paterson
Elizabeth
Edison
Woodbridge
Lakewood
Toms River
Hamilton
Trenton
Clifton
Camden
Brick
Cherry Hill
Passaic
Middletown
Union City
Old Bridge
Gloucester Township
East Orange
Bayonne
Franklin
North Bergen
Vineland
Union
Piscataway
New Brunswick
Jackson
Wayne
Irvington
Parsippany
Howell
Perth Amboy
Hoboken
i think the name of the article should have had a better title like best places to live in a urban or large metropolis (suburban) setting. Very misleading as i thought they were going to pick the very affluent areas of nj.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:48 PM

300 posts, read 914,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhakarsr View Post
Whatever be the reason, real estate will see an upward trend in these areas next spring.
Franklin has been on money magazine list before also and prices has appreciated no more or less than rest of central jersey. The town is great in every way except schools and rt 287. And there is no chance either of these are going to improve this generation. Piscataway is even worse than Franklin. This happens when rankings are simply based on number crunching.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:37 PM

110 posts, read 175,375 times
Quote:

The contenders:
Newark
Jersey City
Paterson
Elizabeth

Edison
Woodbridge
Lakewood
Toms River
Hamilton
Trenton
Clifton
Camden

Brick
Cherry Hill
Passaic
Middletown
Union City
Old Bridge
Gloucester Township
East Orange
Bayonne

Franklin
North Bergen
Vineland
Union

Piscataway
New Brunswick
Jackson
Wayne
Irvington
Parsippany
Howell
Perth Amboy
Hoboken
How the hell can any of the bolded be considered overall good neighborhoods?

Old 10-01-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell03 View Post
How the hell can any of the bolded be considered overall good neighborhoods?
Again, that list simply lists the cities which have at least 50,000 people, which was the first criteria for this supposed ranking.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:53 AM

324 posts, read 575,441 times
I'd put Cherry Hill up there with Parsippany for towns with over 50,000 people. People often forget about South Jersey, but Cherry Hill is better than Franklin and Piscataway in almost every aspect.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:11 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,669,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post
I'd put Cherry Hill up there with Parsippany for towns with over 50,000 people. People often forget about South Jersey, but Cherry Hill is better than Franklin and Piscataway in almost every aspect.
Cherry hill, PA?

Old 10-05-2014, 03:23 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
with population of 50,000 to 300,000
Which knocks most of the best towns in NJ from contention.
A list of best cities over 300,000 population would not have any from NJ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey