Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:53 AM

12 posts, read 24,240 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband accepted an offer and we will be relocating to NJ
His job is in Rutherford but he has an option of working from home and going in twice a week for meetings. I will be working from home too or if I look for a new opportunity I will probably find something around bridgewater or Princeton area based on the industry I will be targeting.

We have 2 kids at pre-school so school district is very important to us, our budget for a house is around $800k and we would rather buy a bigger house since we have extended family staying with us from time to time.

We saw a house in Flemington that we liked a lot, we also liked the rural setting but close to some kind of downtown area. Is Flemington a good option for a young family? What do you think the commute is going to be like to Rutherford? And Bridgewater/Princeton?

Any other suggestions?
We are thinking of looking into East Brunswick, Monroe, Edison maybe???

Any thoughts or advise is more that welcome. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 09:55 AM

800 posts, read 1,297,603 times
brunswick and edison will have more "stuff" around you, in my opinion flemington is really nice, has lots of land and what not but its ALOT more rural compared to the other areas you mentioned. also the commute to rutherford is rough, how about looking in bridgewater, or north more like basking ridge

Old 02-12-2015, 10:24 AM

How long the commute to Rutherford you think would be?

Old 02-12-2015, 10:31 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPiggy View Post
Google maps puts it an hour and 3 minutes not at rush hour.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:37 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
Not sure about time but it's rough because you're commuting in the same direction as everyone going into NYC, Newark, and Jersey City.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:05 AM

311 posts, read 478,175 times
Quote:
Very dependent on the time of day. I did this drive for quite some time, my preferred route was 202 / 287N / 78E to GSP. If you can get to work before 7:30, an hour to 1:10 is probably reasonable. I would have to imagine that staying on 287N to 80E would be about the same; 80E can really slow during rush hour.

Leaving during rush hour, I'd say 1:30 would be a reasonable drive home; possibly worse with heavy traffic. Definitely try to avoid the rush hour at both ends.

Bridgewater is very commutable from Flemington. Again, 202 slows during rush hour, but that drive shouldn't take much more then 40 minutes, even with traffic.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:35 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
As long as you can do the twice a week commute to Rutherford than I would pick Flemington as my first choice over B'water and I am from B'water. Flemington is more rural and I like rural.

Just my opinion and others may differ but EB, Monroe, Edison are downgrades from Bridgewater and Flemington.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:58 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Flemington is very nice. My mom's cousin lives there. They have a lot of land (a lot of woods), even had a little chicken coop and large outdoor covered cages (more like houses) for their dogs in the yard. They had a couple ATVs and would always ride them in the hills and woods behind their house, which itself was large and very nice. My mom's cousin owns a timber company and custom-built the house. There was a farm right beside their property and neighbors weren't that close by. I always liked their house out there. Coming from Union County, for me that is the definition of "country" (I AM aware there are places far more "country" than Flemington, btw).

Old 02-12-2015, 02:24 PM

Any feedback on schools?

Old 02-12-2015, 08:19 PM

298 posts, read 341,810 times
Default Seattle to Flemington

Flemington is a nice town, but you will be hard pressed to find a $800k house in Flemington. You're really talking about Raritan TWP (where Flemington is located). You can get nice big 1-3 acre lots with a huge house for less than 700k, maybe even in the 500-600k.

BUT! Flemington is way too far to commute to Rutherford on a regular basis. You would have to go all the way up 202 to get to 287 and then Rt 78 east. Terrible traffic on 202 every morning and evening (and only getting worse). Just the morning commute up 202 to Bridgewater can take 45+ min now. A lot of traffic lights and congestion. And then he will have to go all the way across 78, North on GSP (more traffic) to get to Rt 3.

In your price range you could be much closer, you may want to look at Somerset county on Rt 78 corridor, like Green Brook or Basking Ridge. You could look in Bergen county as well.

Forget princeton, traffic is horrible in and out of there. Flemington to Bridgewater is do-able and Flemington to Princeton is about 30 min. You may want to look at Clinton, which is closer to Rt 78. Your husband will still encounter traffic on 78, but no stop lights like 202.

Just remember, any time you want to get to 78 or 287 from Flemington, you have to go up 202 and through about 15 traffic lights.

The other towns you mentioned are way too far from Rutherford. It may look easy on a map, but most of the major highways like 287, NJ turnpike are all congested during rush hour. Rt 1 is probably the worst of them all.

Quote:
Hello,
My husband accepted an offer and we will be relocating to NJ
His job is in Rutherford but he has an option of working from home and going in twice a week for meetings. I will be working from home too or if I look for a new opportunity I will probably find something around bridgewater or Princeton area based on the industry I will be targeting.

We have 2 kids at pre-school so school district is very important to us, our budget for a house is around $800k and we would rather buy a bigger house since we have extended family staying with us from time to time.

We saw a house in Flemington that we liked a lot, we also liked the rural setting but close to some kind of downtown area. Is Flemington a good option for a young family? What do you think the commute is going to be like to Rutherford? And Bridgewater/Princeton?

Any other suggestions?
We are thinking of looking into East Brunswick, Monroe, Edison maybe???

Any thoughts or advise is more that welcome. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey