Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 12:28 PM

22 posts, read 243,591 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...this site has such great info that I decided to post and try to find out as much information as I can. I (might) be moving to either Westchester or NJ in the next few months, and I was wondering about the Orange/ East Orange area. I'm a single female without a car that sometimes works at night, so I wanted to know if its considered a generally safe area? I was also looking into Jersey City and Hoboken, but most of the rentals I've seen have been too expensive for me to afford. If anybody has any suggestions, I would appreciate the help. Thanks again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 12:50 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAndBredInNYC View Post
Hi everyone...this site has such great info that I decided to post and try to find out as much information as I can. I (might) be moving to either Westchester or NJ in the next few months, and I was wondering about the Orange/ East Orange area. I'm a single female without a car that sometimes works at night, so I wanted to know if its considered a generally safe area? I was also looking into Jersey City and Hoboken, but most of the rentals I've seen have been too expensive for me to afford. If anybody has any suggestions, I would appreciate the help. Thanks again!!!
e orange is a very undesirable area, what made you condider it?

Old 01-12-2008, 01:02 PM

Default Uh oh :(

I've been looking at a lot of different areas both in NJ and in Westchester County- I am limited as to what I can afford on a rental, just about $1000- probably no more than that, so my options are not too plentiful. I would rather hear the truth now than move and run into problems- I appreciate the info. Any suggestions?

Old 01-12-2008, 01:22 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
If I were a single woman without a car, I would not move to Orange or East Orange. In my opinion, neither of these are very safe areas.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:47 PM

Default I guess Orange and E. Orange is out

Thanks for the replies you guys---I guess I'll keep looking. ..LOL...something has got to turn up sooner or later.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:34 PM

625 posts, read 3,634,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAndBredInNYC View Post
Thanks for the replies you guys---I guess I'll keep looking. ..LOL...something has got to turn up sooner or later.

Please take what you hear on these boards with a grain of salt. If it were up to the majority of people on the NJ forum we would all live either in Hoboken or in the outskirts of Jersey. Unfortunately not all of us can afford to do that. Now I admit E.O. is not the safest area by far but I would think that you would take the same precautions as you would if you lived in Harlem. Don't move to the most dangerous area of the city and if you get off too late take a cab home.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:22 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
The big question really is, where are you going to be working? There are plenty of affordable places close to public transportation that will have apartments under $1,000/month, while being far better/safer than Orange and East Orange.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:59 PM

Default I work in Long Island City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The big question really is, where are you going to be working? There are plenty of affordable places close to public transportation that will have apartments under $1,000/month, while being far better/safer than Orange and East Orange.
LOL....where are they? No, seriously- I would like to keep my current job, which is here in Queens.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:01 PM

Default You're absolutely right

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Please take what you hear on these boards with a grain of salt. If it were up to the majority of people on the NJ forum we would all live either in Hoboken or in the outskirts of Jersey. Unfortunately not all of us can afford to do that. Now I admit E.O. is not the safest area by far but I would think that you would take the same precautions as you would if you lived in Harlem. Don't move to the most dangerous area of the city and if you get off too late take a cab home.
So true- and any area is not the greatest after a certain hour anyway.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:02 PM

625 posts, read 3,634,990 times
There are none especially in an area that is not heavily populated and urban. You can check craigslist. There is a building in Bloomfield that has apartments for $800 I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey