Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:29 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,474,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman27 View Post
Livingston's not in the same league as Short Hills or Alpine, at all. Also, someone with that kind of money wouldn't worry much about taxes, if you know what I mean.

Pro athletes make way more than 500k a year and they are still worried about taxes, why do you think pro athletes list their home addresses in Florida and Texas instead of NY, NJ and CA, so they can save millions in taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 09:31 PM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman27 View Post
Livingston's not in the same league as Short Hills or Alpine, at all. Also, someone with that kind of money wouldn't worry much about taxes, if you know what I mean.
Livingston as a whole does not compete with Short Hills or Alpine. But Livingston is huge compared to Short Hills and quite a bit larger than Alpine, with a much bigger population. Livingston has almost 30 thousand people, compared to 2000 for Alpine. I can think of 5 or 6 neighborhoods (some of them very large neighborhoods) in Livingston that do compete with Short Hills or Alpine. Neighborhoods where the OP could not afford to live on his salary. The richest man in NJ (net worth around $10 Billion) lives in Livingston, and there are a few other billionaires in town, so I'm sure the OP would not feel like he is slumming if he moves there.

At any given time, there are some homes for sale in the $5-8 Million dollar range. There are also neighborhoods where you can buy a house for $400K. The latter is what makes Livingston different than Short Hills or Alpine. In Livingston, you can find Wall Street guys, tv personalities, and pro athletes, but also doctors and lawyers, and you can find teachers, cops, and plumbers. It is a very economically diverse town.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 06-18-2015 at 09:40 PM..

Old 06-18-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Livingston as a whole does not compete with Short Hills or Alpine. But Livingston is huge compared to either of those towns. I can think of 5 or 6 neighborhoods (some of them very large neighborhoods) in Livingston that do compete with Short Hills or Alpine. Neighborhoods where the OP could not afford to live on his salary. The richest man in NJ (net worth around $10 Billion) lives in Livingston, and there are a few other billionaires in town, so I'm sure the OP would not feel like he is slumming if he moves there.

At any given time, there are some homes for sale in the $5-8 Million dollar range. There are also neighborhoods where you can buy a house for $400K. The latter is what makes Livingston different than Short Hills or Alpine. In Livingston, you can find Wall Street guys, tv personalities, and pro athletes, but also doctors and lawyers, and you can find teachers, cops, and plumbers. It is a very economically diverse town.
I agree Livingston is still a fairly wealthy mostly Jewish town not as wealthy as Alpine and Short Hills but those towns are tiny in population compared to Livingston. Livingston is a bit like Newton, MA you have billionaires living in Newton but they also have a middle class section with modest homes same with Livingston, Chelsea Handler talked about this on her show and in her books before.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:48 PM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Pro athletes make way more than 500k a year and they are still worried about taxes, why do you think pro athletes list their home addresses in Florida and Texas instead of NY, NJ and CA, so they can save millions in taxes.
Very true. And while $500K seems like a lot to most people, people in this range pay the highest percentage in taxes. People in this range are wage earners who are greatly affected by the AMT. They are paying in the highest tax bracket, yet they are not in a position to have all of the tax shelters and capital gains income that truly wealthy people have. They are also paying a high NJ state tax. So someone making $500K is not exactly happy about paying $25k-$40K in property taxes on top of all those other taxes.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Very true. And while $500K seems like a lot to most people, people in this range pay the highest percentage in taxes. People in this range are wage earners who are greatly affected by the AMT. They are paying in the highest tax bracket, yet they are not in a position to have all of the tax shelters and capital gains income that truly wealthy people have. They are also paying a high NJ state tax. So someone making $500K is not exactly happy about paying $25k-$40K in property taxes on top of all those other taxes.
True I agree most of the extreme wealthy families like 100 million or higher have their money tied up in investments, stocks real estate ventures especially commercial and venture capital interests, the upper middle class to wealthy like doctors and lawyers that make 200-500k a year get hammered in taxes so some of them never will be able to reach the levels of the investment bankers and blue blood families that avoid income taxes through generational wealth. Too many loopholes in the America tax system.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:03 AM

472 posts, read 812,882 times
Quote:
Livingston as a whole does not compete with Short Hills or Alpine. But Livingston is huge compared to Short Hills and quite a bit larger than Alpine, with a much bigger population. Livingston has almost 30 thousand people, compared to 2000 for Alpine. I can think of 5 or 6 neighborhoods (some of them very large neighborhoods) in Livingston that do compete with Short Hills or Alpine. Neighborhoods where the OP could not afford to live on his salary. The richest man in NJ (net worth around $10 Billion) lives in Livingston, and there are a few other billionaires in town, so I'm sure the OP would not feel like he is slumming if he moves there.

Actually, the OP could live ANYWHERE in Livingston on a $500,000 dollar salary. I don't know why he would choose to, though, when you have towns like Alpine, Saddle River, Franklin Lakes, Rumson, Harding, Mendham, etc., where there's more money overall and a more prestigious address. Just throwing that out there.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:06 AM

472 posts, read 812,882 times
Quote:
True I agree most of the extreme wealthy families like 100 million or higher have their money tied up in investments, stocks real estate ventures especially commercial and venture capital interests, the upper middle class to wealthy like doctors and lawyers that make 200-500k a year get hammered in taxes so some of them never will be able to reach the levels of the investment bankers and blue blood families that avoid income taxes through generational wealth. Too many loopholes in the America tax system.

That's why he could live in New Jersey. I guess that slipped by you in my first post.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:06 AM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Quote:
I hardly doubt Pro athletes worry about real estate taxes. The same with Bon Jovi and Springsteen who's incorp are down in Delaware.

The old saying, is "what does a man with a million dollars want"...another million.

It's called greed.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:27 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Quote:
but on their lower income, they're paying the same exact tax that all the rest of us pay. I make substantially less than $500k/yr as a household, and I'm more than comfortable. that's why the initial post is comical to a lot of us. if you added $100,000 in income to my household, maybe i'd drive nicer cars or buy cars more frequently (probably not). i can't see how it would substantially change my life though. but i also realize some people aren't that savvy with money, and probably don't pay attention to value, so there's that also.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:30 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,926 times
Can I live on $5 million salary for a family of 4? I am little scared....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey