Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 09:02 PM

71 posts, read 125,509 times

Advertisements

We moved to Mendham NJ a couple of weeks ago and I need to be in the Financial district for a week. I am figuring that the best place to catch at train is Morristown (20 mins) and go to Secaucus then to Newark and hop on the Path. I am ~10 mins from Peapeack/ Gladstone but that line looks like trouble. So the question is what would be the best driving/ train combination? I was also thinking about driving to Newark, Harrison or JC and taking the Path from there. If I park in Morristown which garage would have opens spaces if I want to catch the train...

I did search on the board but didn't see anything relevant posted recently.

PS: Parking fee is not a consideration, neither is milage driven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 10:24 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjmac View Post
We moved to Mendham NJ a couple of weeks ago and I need to be in the Financial district for a week. I am figuring that the best place to catch at train is Morristown (20 mins) and go to Secaucus then to Newark and hop on the Path. I am ~10 mins from Peapeack/ Gladstone but that line looks like trouble. So the question is what would be the best driving/ train combination? I was also thinking about driving to Newark, Harrison or JC and taking the Path from there. If I park in Morristown which garage would have opens spaces if I want to catch the train...

I did search on the board but didn't see anything relevant posted recently.

PS: Parking fee is not a consideration, neither is milage driven.
The best bet for the quickest train ride is to take the train from Morristown. There is parking right across the street available as I believe the lot at the station is full with monthly permit holders. This map will show you where the lot is located. New Jersey Transit Note that Lafayette is a one way street that comes up to Morris St right before the train station, so you have to go past the station to the light at Ridgedale, make a left onto Ridgedale, go a block and make a left onto Lafayette. Parking is in a secured covered garage, it costs $6 a day. Be sure to give yourself enough time to get to the parking deck, park/pay, and walk across Lafayette to the station in time to buy your train ticket from the machine. You will find there are many in Mendham doing the same commute, perhaps you can even start a carpool. Forget driving to Harrison, it's a PITA and time consuming, it is quicker to hop on the train in Morristown. I know many take the Train to Hoboken and then hop on the ferry (the terminal is adjacent to the Hoboken train station.) The ferry goes right to Pier 11 at Wall Street, and only takes 15 min. The cost is $70 for 10 trips, (one week, going round trip). The ferry is nice, less crowded than PATH, plenty of fresh air, cool water breeze, and a little quicker. here is the ferry's website. Hoboken / NJ Transit Terminal Yes PATH to the financial district is a bit cheaper, but in my (limited) experience it is often packed like a sardine can, and I have had to stand the entire route on occasion.

You are right to avoid going in from Peapack/Gladstone, as presently they are doing extensive work on that line, and are experiencing many delays.

HTH

KoalaNJ

Old 07-15-2015, 06:56 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,978,324 times
Agree that taking the train to Hoboken is a lot simpler then the OP's plan with transfers. The ferry is a great idea for more money and it sounds like costs for the week aren't a big concern (otherwise the PATH from Hoboken and then walking is a decent option too).

Depending on where in Mendham you're coming from (and timing), you might consider trying back roads around and parking at the Convent Station lot, which is the next stop east of Morristown. Always plenty of (uncovered) parking there.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:01 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,540 times
I would take the Morristown Line Midtown Direct to Penn Station and catch the 1-2-3 or A-C-E to take you into the Financial District. Where specifically in the Financial District do you need to go?

Old 07-15-2015, 12:47 PM

378 posts, read 586,686 times
If leaving from Morristown, you should transfer in Summit for the Hoboken train, not Secaucus.

If leaving from Gladstone, most likely you will be on a Hoboken train, so no changing necessary (good if you like to sleep). But the train from Gladstone might be a bit slower due to many stops on the branch before reaching Summit.

(Little-known fact: ) At Morristown, you can park for free behind town hall if you don't mind the 0.5 mile walk. The police station is there, so safety isn't an issue.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:22 AM

71 posts, read 125,509 times
Just to put a closure on this thread , driving to bernardsville ; taking a train to Hoboken and then getting on a ferry works well. 90 mins door to door without delays . Plenty of parking at bernardsville train station and very light ridership

Old 08-24-2015, 03:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,761 times
For anybody else considering a similar commute, consider that the PATH runs from Hoboken to the WTC. It's cheaper, but likely more crowded.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:42 PM

10,442 posts, read 6,974,789 times
Path is alot cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey