Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 09:09 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Actually, Vineland (Cumberland County) is growing in terms of commuters to Philly. My friend does it every day. It's about an hour commute, but because the area is dirt cheap to live in people are starting to move there as a cheaper alternative to the more expensive suburbs in Burlington County.
I guess that's okay with the way things are now, but imagine if more and more people starting moving there and doing that. 55 is not equipped to handle that type of heavy traffic and there is no alternative to that road, and it would definitely then become a less desirable commute. If there is only a small amount of people doing it, it is fine.

Part of it simply is also just that Philly is a smaller city than NYC, so you should rightfully expect that the sphere of influence (or "circle of commuter towns") will not expand out as far as well. Sure, lack of interstate highways for a large chunk of South Jersey, as well as lack of train lines, does not help the cause either. But even if you look at the ring of major commuter towns to Philly on the PA side, where they do have a good train system in place to get into Philly, it does not reach out as far as NYC's suburbs do, whether talking about those in NJ, NY, or CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 05:26 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
To be close to the luxuries that come with living on the coast in proximity to some really wonderful beach towns. Spending the summer with the family at the beach, boating,surfing,fishing etc etc sounds a little better than raising a family in the middle of NC.

I remember as a kid riding thru Dennisville thinking whoever owns these forests is sitting on a gold mine. And here it is decades later and the forest is still there ,Bridgeville,Millville, and Vineland are still pretty much dumps and your 15 minutes away from cash cow coast line. I mean WTH? I still sit in traffic on a country road for an hour on 347 to go 5 flipping miles. Get it together down there.

I mean you have control of some of the most prestigious and enviable real estate in the world(A beach in NE USA) and 5 miles inland looks like the middle of Arkansas.

Beachfront living is not a primary motivator for companies considering relocation. I'd rather live on the coast myself but I wouldn't start counting any chickens yet on Wildwood being saved by big business.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:01 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,153 times
I used to be a year round resident in the Wildwoods from 1982-1996 and i graduated from Wildwood High in 1996. I moved to PA in 1996 for better work opportunities.

When i lived there Wildwood was run down much much worse then it is now. Old falling down houses everywhere and drugs everywhere especially in the 90s but the town was booming in the summers. I remember memorial day weekends where the traffic coming into the island was backed up all the way from the bridge in Wildwood all the way through wildwood and far into north wildwood. It was so bad that cars were stuck in the middle of the streets when the traffic lights turned red so they had to get cops out at tons of intersections to direct traffic. You almost had to jump over car hoods to cross the street it was literally bumper to bumper. All the cars had stereo systems blasting window shattering bass, girls hanging out of convertibles and hanging out of car windows and guys doing the same yelling back at the girls. People were walking right down the middle of the yellow lines in the street video taping the chaos. People were yelling off the motel balconies at girls and guys in the streets. I remember seeing a jeep with like 7 people jammed into it with a keg in the back and everyone had a red cup in their hand. Police were outnumbered by far. Now that i think about it they should have called in the national guard for assistance. Pretty much every day in the summer the island was very crowded in the 90s now it's just the major holidays and events.

I worked up at Moreys pier when i was 16 at the games and some nights we didn't shut down until 3 am and still the boardwalk had lots of people it, now it's completely different. The piers close at midnight i think and the crowds are not as big as they used to be. The main thing that changed Wildwood was the sellouts in the housing boom that turned everything into condos. Wildwood is a blue collar town and has been for many decades and to change it to look like Avalon doesn't make sense. Hotels and historical restaurants torn down to make way for condos was such a stupid move. Not everyone can afford to stay in a fancy condo but they could swing a hotel room. Now the people who built condos can barely rent them so they are renting to year round residents and section 8 renters. The ones who just outright sold their property were the smart ones I guess. It was good for them but not for Wildwood but if someone offers you a million for a tiny lot...I would probably take the money and run too.

Wildwood will never be the same. I can tell you so many stories about the island i could write a book. Atleast I have my childhood memories that can never be taken away.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:45 PM

989 posts, read 1,876,855 times
I was in Cape May this past Labor Day Weekend, and took a stroll on my last night over to the WW Boardwalk. It looks like Coney Island, ie, real ghetto.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:38 PM

293 posts, read 590,253 times
Default Villas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Why not direct them to Vineland or Bridgeton or even the bayside down by the Villas.

Wildwood has so much potential if it were allowed to realize it, ocean front real estate is rarely squandered like this.
It already has happened in the Villas.The worse thing I ever did in my life was to buy and move to the Villas.No matter what the powers to be claim.No where in the Villas is safe.If your a good honest tax paying citizen you have to have lots of lights around your house locks and chains,on everything.because the dirt bags will steal anything thats not nailed down.Section-8,drugs,absentee landlords are all over..

Old 05-12-2019, 04:14 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,983 times
That old fashioned, dirty clothed, fireman mayor needs to go. I accept that there's a possibility he is a halfway decent human being, but he is just not fit to be the mayor of any town that's not in the backwoods of Mississippi. He is too nonchalant about police brutality, and too my way or the highway about his own views. Antiquated stupid laws and police officers patrolling the beach with breathalyzers is not going to make people want to visit. It's a shame because I'm certain Wildwood has a bright future.

Last edited by KoNgFooCj; 05-12-2019 at 04:34 AM..

Old 05-12-2019, 07:43 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
The trash needs somewhere to go, hopefully they're confined. I guess the saggy pants law was not a success.
That’s really messed up. Just because someone is poor does not mean their trash.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:48 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,623,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That’s really messed up. Just because someone is poor does not mean their trash.
U said it, not me. There's plenty of trash with money that walks around with their pants falling off their @ss.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:51 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
U said it, not me. There's plenty of trash with money that walks around with their pants falling off their @ss.
Not every poor person does that. It was a youth trend. I don’t think it’s even in style anymore.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:17 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Not every poor person does that. It was a youth trend. I don’t think it’s even in style anymore.
It's not, but I still see it once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey