Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 09:22 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times

Advertisements

Here's a weird little thing--when I moved to a suburb of Boston, it was always common practice when visiting someone to park in their driveway, and never on the street in front of the house. Then I started to wonder, is it a Jersey quirk to NEVER park in someone's driveway when visiting? I mean, who wants to have to move their car so someone can leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 10:20 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Here's a weird little thing--when I moved to a suburb of Boston, it was always common practice when visiting someone to park in their driveway, and never on the street in front of the house. Then I started to wonder, is it a Jersey quirk to NEVER park in someone's driveway when visiting? I mean, who wants to have to move their car so someone can leave?
I've always parked in front of the house where I was visiting.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:03 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
ok: from passaic county--north jersey
1. TAYLOR HAM, egg and cheese
2. hock a noogee
3. "hey how r ya?... i'm auright, you?"
4. DUH and "that is so gay" (sorry about that one--no offense to anyone)
5. goosey night
6. you guyz
7. and i am italian, so i could make a list of how my family destroys and creats new english words...
It's hock a loogie, not noogee...lol.., sliding pond, yes that was our version of sliding upon, mischief night, that is so gay, yes we used to say that...are you friggin' kidding me??...Not for nuthin'..yes, that to..sometimes yous guys...Hey, how ya doin'..never any g's..and I'm from Fairview which borders Hudson County but is in Bergen.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
It's hock a loogie, not noogee...lol.., sliding pond, yes that was our version of sliding upon, mischief night, that is so gay, yes we used to say that...are you friggin' kidding me??...Not for nuthin'..yes, that to..sometimes yous guys...Hey, how ya doin'..never any g's..and I'm from Fairview which borders Hudson County but is in Bergen.
Sometimes I slip and my NJ acent takes over my writing

Old 04-13-2009, 11:07 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I've always parked in front of the house where I was visiting.
I never park in anyone's driveway when visiting unless you aren't allowed to park in the street, it's presumptious and rude imo unless the owner tells you to and ok's it or there is nowhere left on the street to park, for example, if they were having a big party and you couldn't find a spot because everything was taken and you know you aren't blocking anyone in who is planning to go out any time soon but you leave your keys just in case..

Old 04-13-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
I never park in anyone's driveway when visiting unless you aren't allowed to park in the street, it's presumptious and rude imo unless the owner tells you to and ok's it or there is nowhere left on the street to park, for example, if they were having a big party and you couldn't find a spot because everything was taken and you know you aren't blocking anyone in who is planning to go out any time soon but you leave your keys just in case..
I always thought that was a common practise but it looks like it isn't.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:12 PM

149 posts, read 596,503 times
It's definately Taylor Ham not pork roll. Otherwise, how could you have a taylorhamandcheeseburger. I'll have a soder with that. Anyone for a game of runnin bases.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:44 AM

21 posts, read 62,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
yeah, my parents aren't native New Jersyans. so i missed out on all of these for... mmm... i'd say the first 12 years of my life. i learned all the jersey'isms from my friends. yet some of them we're kinda natural to me. like i always said down the shore, and i've always loved taylor ham and eggs. its a natural breakfast staple for me. and also when people asked me what highway exit i lived off of, i always thought it was a serious question.
So you didn't live in NJ for the first 12 yrs of your life, but you say you were born in Summit and grew up in Bridgewater???

Quote: "i was born in Summit. It's a very nice and safe area, and it's within a good commute to the city. you can take the train directly into Penn Station".

Old 07-30-2009, 10:25 PM

52 posts, read 207,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sligogirl View Post
You recall having a Jersey tomato sandwich on white bread, with a ton of mayo and some salt. This was called lunch in the 70's, and my Bronx born hubby still winces when I eat this Jersey delicacy.
Ahh! Those wonderful sandwiches - Jersey Tomato's on wonderbread with mayo and salt! It's still a favorite of mine! But these days since I watch my carbs, I eat the tomatos right off the vine from my yard with salt! (No bread or mayo anymore!)

THAT'S why we're called the "Garden State!"

Old 08-01-2009, 03:42 PM

55 posts, read 121,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
New Jersey definatley has different ism's and accents depending on what part you are from. for examapl - I originally came from Ringwood and we called the night before halloween, "goosy night" and when we moved south..ok closer to Rt 80 : )), they called it "mischief night"... how posh I thought : )) Any other deviations?
Central Jersey here, we called it "wreck-up night" !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey