Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 09:15 PM

245 posts, read 311,067 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Sometimes I have to walk home through a bad neighborhood, so I've wondered what weapons I can LEGALLY carry for self-defense. I actually feel a little paranoid about even asking this question, even though I shouldn't. And I know that it's almost impossible to get a gun carrying permit in NJ.

The other day I was standing in line at the 7/11 right behind a local cop (some idiot ahead of us was taking forever to get lotto tickets...), so I started making small talk and I asked him what I could carry for self-defense in a bad neighborhood. He took a step back from me and put his hands on his utility belt. I thought he was about to frisk me or something so I quickly muttered, "like pepper spray?" His response was "take an Uber if you're so worried." I didn't expect such an immediately hostile response, because I grew up in a cop neighborhood and feel like I usually see eye-to-eye with them.

It shouldn't be like this. I know it's NJ, but I'm sure that in other states like Texas the cop would have considered it a totally legitimate question. So, am I supposed to just be a victim? Again, I am asking about LEGAL items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 10:12 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,109,593 times
Small sprays are legal IIRC, they're limited in terms of quantity in the can.

In general, you can't carry something for the purpose of self-defense otherwise. CCW permits for guns are basically impossible to get for a normal citizen as I'm sure you know. Batons, tasers, etc are all not allowed either.

-------------------------------

As for knives, NJ's knife laws are very vague.

There's not much you're explicitly not allowed to carry (especially since there's a further exception to what is banned if you have an explainable lawful purpose), but the definition of an illegal "dangerous knife" can also be literally any knife if they decide you were carrying it as a deadly weapon (doesn't require you to have done anything with it).

In short, if you don't have a good legal (not self-defense) reason for why you are carrying the specific knife at the specific time, you're in the grey area and an officer who doesn't like you can potentially come up with weapons charges, especially if it's any sort that would actually make a decent weapon instead of some little multitool.

Note: I'm not a lawyer, this is my understanding of the situation from poking around on the internet.

I'll also note that a person without any experience trying to use a knife in a fight with someone (who is probably quite experienced in street fights) is probably not going to accomplish anything with it and may have it used against them.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:33 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Carry a bat and pretend you are coming and going to the batting cage. Or carry a hammer and pretend you are coming and going to do some construction.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:22 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Carry your keys and stick them between your knuckles. That can do some damage. I used to do that when I walked home late at night

Old 01-10-2016, 07:34 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
Hello,

Sometimes I have to walk home through a bad neighborhood, so I've wondered what weapons I can LEGALLY carry for self-defense. I actually feel a little paranoid about even asking this question, even though I shouldn't. And I know that it's almost impossible to get a gun carrying permit in NJ.

The other day I was standing in line at the 7/11 right behind a local cop (some idiot ahead of us was taking forever to get lotto tickets...), so I started making small talk and I asked him what I could carry for self-defense in a bad neighborhood. He took a step back from me and put his hands on his utility belt. I thought he was about to frisk me or something so I quickly muttered, "like pepper spray?" His response was "take an Uber if you're so worried." I didn't expect such an immediately hostile response, because I grew up in a cop neighborhood and feel like I usually see eye-to-eye with them.

It shouldn't be like this. I know it's NJ, but I'm sure that in other states like Texas the cop would have considered it a totally legitimate question. So, am I supposed to just be a victim? Again, I am asking about LEGAL items.
NJ cops are just not used to civilians carrying guns. And gun conversation by civilians with a cop unless you are friends with them is out of the ordinary.

Not the case in NC. I go to the shooting range a lot and many times cops are there, usually sheriffs officers or state policemen. It is not unusual for them to converse with you about guns and many times offer to let you shoot their own personal guns. NC law enforcement officers are used to civilians having carry permits and unless you are doing something suspicious will not even ask you if you have a permit.

On the other hand we have had at least 6 people killed in NC in domestic cases since the first of the year so the argument about everybody having a gun will make us safer is nonsense.

I don't have to walk home through a bad neighborhood so I don't have that problem but I would just move out of the bad neighborhood or get some pepper spray if moving is out of the question.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:35 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
anything can be deemed a weapon in legal retrospect

best to not defend yourself in NJ, at least the dems and the gang members they exempt from restrictive gun laws, prefer you don't.

Stones have been around for centuries and used quite effectively.

Yes, officer, I keep the stones in the car because I'm always canoeing alone and use the stones for ballast.

You can cut someone terribly with a pieceof paper.

Then again, the pen is mightier of the sword......hint, hint

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but"..... the prosecutor and activist judge really hurt me.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:56 AM

90 posts, read 145,275 times
No Concealed Carry Weapon. Meaning if you see your mom getting robbed in front of your house, you do NOT have the right to use force. Carry in the case. I know people who have got arrested for stopping at a diner between the gun range and home. Absurd absurd laws.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:39 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
I hope they never allow concealed carry in NJ. Even though I do have a concealed carry permit in NC because it is more dangerous living here with all the nut jobs who have permits.

Be careful what you wish for in NJ because more legal guns means more murders, more accidental shootings, more kids getting access to dads gun and shooting a friend. This happens frequently in NC and not just the cities, stupid gun owners live everywhere. Even in NJ.

BTW when I travel back to NJ I leave my gun home and feel safer in NJ without a gun then I do in NC with a gun. It's all about your paranoia tolerance.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:30 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
Avoidance is the best answer. Not a gun. Especially if you are high strung. Most people don't even have enough common sense or the right mental constitution to operate a motor vehicle properly and safely...especially in a high pressure situation...let alone a firearm.

The cop is right. If it's a once in a while walk through this neighborhood (and a considerable distance), you are better off taking Uber.

If that walk is part of a regular commute, and you absolutely have to take the exact route going through the bad neighborhood...

1. Be alert.
    • Don't have your attention on your phone screen. Try to have as much 360 degree vision as possible.
    • Don't have earpods/ear plugs in.
  2. Have both your hands free. For example, if you are a woman, don't have a purse in one hand (or even on your shoulder) and then a shopping bag/coffee cup, etc. etc. in the other hand. Wear the purse cross body, or put all your crap in a backpack on your back. The only thing you should have in your hands is your keys between your knuckles as ansky already said, or pepper spray.
  3. Walk with purpose, preferably wearing running/walking sneakers (i.e., put the heels or other fancy shoes in the backpack...if you have to run, fancy shoes are gonna hobble you).
  4. Blend in, and don't act like a victim. Unless you work as a Hollywood stylist or PR for Kanye & Kim, you do NOT have to wear that flashy expensive jewelry, watch, handbag, shoes or coat to work/school. If you are coming & going from some fancy event and you DO...take Uber. If you have expensive electronics, tuck them away from sight (see #1).

If the neighborhood is so bad that none of the above are a sufficient solution, having a gun is not going to help you because you'll be shot or shanked before you can even draw. Even if you do manage to squeeze off a round, you'll get shot anyway in that kind of neighborhood. Real life is not the movies.

As for the cop's general attitude towards you during that exchange in the convenience store...was he really being HOSTILE, or just cautious? Cops are on high alert right now. Maybe your general demeanor had something to do with it? You sound like you might have been slightly agitated (some IDIOT in front of you was taking FOREVER to buy lotto tickets)? I mean...it's Powerball mania right now, nation wide. Kind of understandable.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:33 PM

173 posts, read 245,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I hope they never allow concealed carry in NJ. Even though I do have a concealed carry permit in NC because it is more dangerous living here with all the nut jobs who have permits.

Be careful what you wish for in NJ because more legal guns means more murders, more accidental shootings, more kids getting access to dads gun and shooting a friend. This happens frequently in NC and not just the cities, stupid gun owners live everywhere. Even in NJ.

BTW when I travel back to NJ I leave my gun home and feel safer in NJ without a gun then I do in NC with a gun. It's all about your paranoia tolerance.
Right, like criminals actually follow the law. I'm all for background Checks, but other than that, if someone passes 1 they should be allowed to have anything they want. Remember, criminals will always be able to get them illegally anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey