Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 03:46 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
So obviously you have not read the stories of NJ cop hassling people with out of state carry permits?

Do I have personal experience? No, I just hope I never get stopped in NJ for a traffic offense.

Do they have legal cause? I don't know but when did that ever stop a cop from hassling anybody?

How about brushing up on your punctuation and capitalization, I'm thinking you must have graduated HS.
you said probably cause to search a car. you didnt say "heard stories of hassling." what does that mean? does that mean pull over, search, question, etc. etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 11:59 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i am familiar with some cases of non-nj residents getting caught transporting guns in nj. it seems like they got off the hook but it wasnt so easy. their struggle may have made it easier for others though. in any case, they actually were pulled over for some traffic offense and actually told the officer they had a gun in the car. im not sure what possessed them to tale the agents of tyrannical government that they are breaking the law.
You know the answer to this. Gun is not loaded, gun and ammo are locked up or secured in some way. Hopefully not in the cab of your pickup. That causes other problems. Oh, oh, you can reach them.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:53 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times
Quote:
you said probably cause to search a car. you didnt say "heard stories of hassling." what does that mean? does that mean pull over, search, question, etc. etc.?
Just trying to alert you to the fact that anybody in NJ ,resident or traveler could be in serious trouble for having a gun in your car or in your possession without a NJ carry permit.
If you think you are just going to get a slap on the wrist you are seriously mistaken.

In NC I can stand in front of a cop or sheriff with a gun on my hip and they will not even give it a second thought.
You just can't do that in NJ, different culture.

I know a few guys in NJ will illegal guns and the last thing they would ever do would be to have them in their car or on their person.

You can continue to debate with me and take your chances with guns but I am smart enough to not go into NJ with a gun.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:23 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Just trying to alert you to the fact that anybody in NJ ,resident or traveler could be in serious trouble for having a gun in your car or in your possession without a NJ carry permit.
If you think you are just going to get a slap on the wrist you are seriously mistaken.

In NC I can stand in front of a cop or sheriff with a gun on my hip and they will not even give it a second thought.
You just can't do that in NJ, different culture.

I know a few guys in NJ will illegal guns and the last thing they would ever do would be to have them in their car or on their person.

You can continue to debate with me and take your chances with guns but I am smart enough to not go into NJ with a gun.
you are fully aware that you are alerting me to something that i already know.

it is generally smart to not drive around with a loaded gun in nj. i dont do it. however, everyone should reserve the right to do what they feel is right at the time. your life (and lives of your family) come before everything else.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:45 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
The only weapon you can legally carry in NJ is a lawyer.

if you are a gang member/drug dealer or career criminal not connected to a recognized and surveiled gang, NJ law exempts you from the normally required FID, addtional pistol permit application and a NICS check. The 3 year mandatory imprisonment rule can be waived if it helps to advance a prosecutor or activist judge's politcal career.

NJ gun laws are designed to catch administraive violaters and generally discoutrage gun ownership even though the current federal administration says, " you can keep your guns if you like your guns. PERIOD!

FBI NICs Background Check FAQs

"How does the FBI NICS system work?

Once a dealer and buyer are ready to conclude a transfer, a retailer can perform the NICS checks by contacting the FBI system directly by telephone needs to do the following:
  • Call a NICS operator by toll-free number and confirm his identity together with his FFL number and dealer-selected password.
  • Provide the operator with the name, date-of-birth, sex and race of the potential buyer as well as the type of transfer – handgun or long gun. A buyer who has a common name may, at his option, may provide his Social Security number to make the check finish faster.
  • The system will confirm the data against its database of prohibited persons. If there is no "hit," the sale is approved. The system will assign a NICS Transaction Number (NTN) for the approval. The dealer will log the NTN in the form 4473, and then the transfer can proceed.
  • Partially completed forms 4473, in which a proposed sale has been denied, is required to be retained by the FFL per BATF regulations.
  • When a "hit" occurs, the seller will receive instructions to delay the transaction. A "delay" response shows that the check resulted in information that will require further review by an analyst, that will contact the dealer by return call "within a few hours" the FBI says.
While the law states that it provides three business days for the FBI to respond, the FBI anticipates that virtually every delay is going to be handled within a day. If records require further investigation, the FBI might take up to 72 hours to issue either a proceed or a denied response. There is, however, an appeals process for purchasers who feel that they were denied in error, and dealers are given forms for the process.
If you have been denied purchase visit our Denial Appeals Process page."

Old 01-31-2016, 10:24 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times
Quote:
you are fully aware that you are alerting me to something that i already know.

it is generally smart to not drive around with a loaded gun in nj. i dont do it. however, everyone should reserve the right to do what they feel is right at the time. your life (and lives of your family) come before everything else.
OK I understand that, you do what you want to do and take your chances. As long as you know the consequences.

I'm done with this topic.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:54 AM

6 posts, read 3,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
Hello,

Sometimes I have to walk home through a bad neighborhood, so I've wondered what weapons I can LEGALLY carry for self-defense. I actually feel a little paranoid about even asking this question, even though I shouldn't. And I know that it's almost impossible to get a gun carrying permit in NJ.

The other day I was standing in line at the 7/11 right behind a local cop (some idiot ahead of us was taking forever to get lotto tickets...), so I started making small talk and I asked him what I could carry for self-defense in a bad neighborhood. He took a step back from me and put his hands on his utility belt. I thought he was about to frisk me or something so I quickly muttered, "like pepper spray?" His response was "take an Uber if you're so worried." I didn't expect such an immediately hostile response, because I grew up in a cop neighborhood and feel like I usually see eye-to-eye with them.

It shouldn't be like this. I know it's NJ, but I'm sure that in other states like Texas the cop would have considered it a totally legitimate question. So, am I supposed to just be a victim? Again, I am asking about LEGAL items.
Carry a copy of the New Jersey gun laws and show it to the criminal who is about to shoot or rape you. Once he knows that it’s illegal for him to have a gun I’m sure he’ll dispose of it right away and apologize for breaking the law.
Of course on the other hand, if I were a criminal I would support every gun law our idiot politics came up with. This way I can be sure that the person I’m about to do harm to can not protect him/her self.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:30 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Too bad only legal gun owners are subject to NJ strict gun laws.

Makes you wonder why criminals are exempt and why, since they commit the greatest number of murders and violence, in predictable locations, why legislators do not target them with proposed gun laws??????????

something is amiss in NJ.

Now that murphy declared the majority of legal gun owners, felons, with the 15 to 10 shot reduction, will a bus trip to PA be sponsored to sell all those illegal magazines?

One thing it did, it made 15 shot mags super cheap in a market flooded by NJ gun owners.

Too bad it didn't come in time to prevent the just released thug, gang member from shooting up Trenton.

Examine the consistent number of murders that take place each year in Newark alone. How many of those hundreds of lost lives could have been saved by a reduction of magazine capacity as just enacted?

So why would NJ legislators tolerate more lost innocent lives by passing gun laws that have no impact on career gang members and criminals that do the most repeat damage in predictable locations?

Anti gun activists would make you believe that gun violence is evenly distributed across the state. The predictable perps and locations would be a huge clue to approach a solution to prevent lost lives.

Instead, the statistics are ignored to pursue an effort to just simply rid NJ of firearms instead of stopping the violence. All in an effort to fulfill an academic theory of, 'no guns no gun violence', which concludes the loss of innocent lives are acceptable sacrifice to achieve a theory that fails when it meets reality.

Why does the NJ legislature not care about innocent lives lost?

Under corey booker the murder rate skyrocketed to more than 2 Plus a week just in Newark! for a period of extended time and what did NJ voters do? they made him a senator! What did booker supporters do? when a single murder was not yet recorded for a week or month, out of decades of continuous murders, they touted Booker as a savior. That's all you need to know about NJ voters and the legislators who evolved like Darwin's finches to survive elections despite a record of abject legislative failure.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:48 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,482,861 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CoIhl3puuI

Old 07-12-2018, 11:42 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,638,818 times
christie had a chance to "allow" citizens to actually carry during his 1st term when he was extremely popular, but he turned out to be just another gun grabber until he decided to run for president and changed his stance. And by then it was to late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey