Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 02:40 PM

19 posts, read 212,910 times

Advertisements

Wow, this is a pretty interesting thread going on here! Since I've been living in the North Elizabeth area for the last two years (a block away from North & North Broad), and grew up in the Conant section of Hillside, I figured I'd leave a comment or two.

JR86 - I'm not sure what part of North Ave/Westminster that you live in, but you shouldn't have any real concerns about catching the train from North Elizabeth. I work in NYC and have been taking the train there for the past two years and never had a problem with the station (aside from the bridge at North Ave flooding every now & then). During the morning rush hour the platform is pretty packed, and in the evening you'll see lots of people exiting the train at the station, on their way home. I also used to take the train down to Trenton 2-3 times a week for classes, and like commuting to NYC, I've never had a problem. And I've caught the train at 6 AM, and gotten off it and walked home at 11:30 PM, all while fairly safe.

Also, in addition to the the train and the 112, there is also the 113N bus which stops at North & North Broad on North Broad in front of the Westminster Towers. The ride into the city is about a half hour, and a ride on the 112 into the city is a bit longer at 40-45 minutes (because of all the stops it makes on Fairmount and North Avenue before getting on the Turnpike).

While North Elizabeth provides great accessibility into the city, I do have to say that aside from Stop and Shop, the small strip mall on Newark Ave, and the bakery, deli, and liquor store on North Ave, there is not much else to offer. My boyfriend and I are young, in our mid-late 20s, and it would be nice to be able to go out for a nice evening without having to drive onto Rt 22 or Rt 1&9. Yeah there are a few bars (Ben's, Terminal One) within short driving distance, but it's not really feasible if either of us wants to have more than one drink. And although it's not that far, I would not walk there - Fairmount can be sketchy at night.

Overall I think Elizabeth (or at least N. Elizabeth), is an ok place to live. It's easy to get around, accessible to New York City, and the rents are affordable. With that said, if I was given a choice between living in North Elizabeth and another town/city - say Bloomfield or Nutley, I would have to choose the later. Not that Elizabeth isn't a good place to live, but because in the general scheme of things in many ways it doesn't have a lot to offer. Jstar, I can definitely understand why are you so motivated about Elizabeth, and I hope that more people will move into the area that share the same passion. Hopefully all the projects planned will help the city develop into something great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 09:11 PM

562 posts, read 2,617,037 times
Chickpea: great post.. i lived on North Ave for 3 years, right by the Portuguese bakery across the street from the liquor store and beauty salon.. I loved that section because being that i lived in Manhattan I got used to having a coffee shop in the corner and the best thing is that the 112 has the last stop right at the corner of VanBuren and North ave, then it'll jump straight into the turnpike.. I work at Rockefeller center and the commute took me about 25 mins to Port Authority.. I found that entire section to be very safe and convenient.. i took the train a few times from North Elizabeth both ways and never had an issue.. and i would do this late at nights.. also I attended Kean so school was only about 5 mins away.. oh and I do travel for business and the cab ride from North Elizabeth to Newark airport is only about 5. dollars.. like i said the location is very convenient..

but you are right there is not much in the area.. but you should look into Elmora if you want more of a scene.. Destino's lounge is right on Elmora and 2 blocks away is Club Miami.. oh and there is a new spot i think it's called Amor.. also there is a few coffee shops and many restaurants which all are open til 11pm and some later.. again like you mentioned the rents are very affordable when compared to other towns.. I'm moving to this section by Oct 1st.. I'm too in my late 20's.. the 112, 115 runs thru this area and you are about 6 blocks away from Midtown train station..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
Wow, this is a pretty interesting thread going on here! Since I've been living in the North Elizabeth area for the last two years (a block away from North & North Broad), and grew up in the Conant section of Hillside, I figured I'd leave a comment or two.

JR86 - I'm not sure what part of North Ave/Westminster that you live in, but you shouldn't have any real concerns about catching the train from North Elizabeth. I work in NYC and have been taking the train there for the past two years and never had a problem with the station (aside from the bridge at North Ave flooding every now & then). During the morning rush hour the platform is pretty packed, and in the evening you'll see lots of people exiting the train at the station, on their way home. I also used to take the train down to Trenton 2-3 times a week for classes, and like commuting to NYC, I've never had a problem. And I've caught the train at 6 AM, and gotten off it and walked home at 11:30 PM, all while fairly safe.

Also, in addition to the the train and the 112, there is also the 113N bus which stops at North & North Broad on North Broad in front of the Westminster Towers. The ride into the city is about a half hour, and a ride on the 112 into the city is a bit longer at 40-45 minutes (because of all the stops it makes on Fairmount and North Avenue before getting on the Turnpike).

While North Elizabeth provides great accessibility into the city, I do have to say that aside from Stop and Shop, the small strip mall on Newark Ave, and the bakery, deli, and liquor store on North Ave, there is not much else to offer. My boyfriend and I are young, in our mid-late 20s, and it would be nice to be able to go out for a nice evening without having to drive onto Rt 22 or Rt 1&9. Yeah there are a few bars (Ben's, Terminal One) within short driving distance, but it's not really feasible if either of us wants to have more than one drink. And although it's not that far, I would not walk there - Fairmount can be sketchy at night.

Overall I think Elizabeth (or at least N. Elizabeth), is an ok place to live. It's easy to get around, accessible to New York City, and the rents are affordable. With that said, if I was given a choice between living in North Elizabeth and another town/city - say Bloomfield or Nutley, I would have to choose the later. Not that Elizabeth isn't a good place to live, but because in the general scheme of things in many ways it doesn't have a lot to offer. Jstar, I can definitely understand why are you so motivated about Elizabeth, and I hope that more people will move into the area that share the same passion. Hopefully all the projects planned will help the city develop into something great.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:41 PM

Camille from Top Chef is from ELizabeth!!

Old 10-04-2007, 09:44 PM

UCC makes expansion in Elizabeth official
Category: News and Politics

UCC makes expansion in Elizabeth official
$48M building to house multiple programs
Wednesday, October 03, 2007
BY JONATHAN CASIANO
Star-Ledger Staff

In an effort to update its facilities, expand its course offerings and bring more of its 26,000 students into midtown Elizabeth, Union County College is constructing a six-story building across the train tracks from its tower in Elizabeth.

Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted articles

Jonathan Casiano may be reached at (908) 527-4012 or jcasiano@starledger.com.

Last edited by Yac; 12-13-2007 at 05:32 AM..

Old 10-05-2007, 09:21 AM

17 posts, read 78,716 times
Jstar41, your correct in your description of Elizabeth..I'm a New Yorker looking to move to NJ (NYC prices have hit the roof) so I had a friend of mine drive me around Elizabeth yesterday and there are some really nice sections, especially Elmora. Elmora Hills, N. Elizabeth, Bayway, and Westminster. We went down to the Elizabethport section and saw the new developments going up and I even hear that a ferry service to Manhattan is in the works. Even the economically challenged area weren't as bad (I've seen worse in sections of NYC). Being a resident of NYS (NYC and formally Buffalo, NY) I really like the urban feel of the place. I'm sorry, but I'm a city guy and I MUST live in the city (nothing against my suburban brothers and sisters)

My friend lives in Edison and works at Trinitas Hospital and he informed me that Morris Avenue, Elizabeth Avenue, and Elmora Avenue have great ethnic restaurants and an emerging night life. I liked the blue collar fill of the place and the neighborhoods were very quiet. I will defiantly keep Elizabeth in mind, along with Hudson County.

Decisions, Decisions...I wasn't aware that NJ had so many nice urban areas...

Old 10-05-2007, 11:45 PM

I'm glad you came by and took a look for yourself.. the one thing you'll notice is that many of Elizabeth's young crowd 20-35 are very motivated to succeed in life... many of the new lounges in Elizabeth are owned by young entrepreneurs.. you'll be surprise.. oh and it's not like the little suburbs that you need to know people to meet others.. it's just like the city where you can go get a drink and talk to anyone.. people are open minded in this city as most frequent the city often so you'll see that city actitute.. if you like art there is an Art exhibition at DOLCE lounge in broad st every tuesday.. also, Elizabeth has many large businesses in or around the city.. there are tons of medical buildings, all official county buildings are in Elizabeth, there is Jersey gardens for retail jobs, there are about 10-15 (approx) schools in Elizabeth for education jobs, there is also Merck/Scherwing in Rahway and Unions which are less than 5 minutes, there is another pharmaceutical in Elmora across the st from Dunkin Donuts.. there is also Kean University which is between Elizabeth and Union, there is Union county college (they are building another building across the st from the current bldg).. Newark Airport Terminal A and I think half of Terminal B is in Elizabeth..

oh and in regards about the ferry it is true.. it's under construction and for what I hear it's target time frame is mid-late 2008..

there are many new Luxury buildings on West Jersey and for what I hear they are also building a new luxury building on Linden Ave..

all of this within 14 miles from Manhattan..

btw.. i'm a city guy too, which is why i like the atmosphere.. it's not a money thing.. i make just above 6 figures.. so I choose this town.. regardless what everyone else in this forum says..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker1970 View Post
Jstar41, your correct in your description of Elizabeth..I'm a New Yorker looking to move to NJ (NYC prices have hit the roof) so I had a friend of mine drive me around Elizabeth yesterday and there are some really nice sections, especially Elmora. Elmora Hills, N. Elizabeth, Bayway, and Westminster. We went down to the Elizabethport section and saw the new developments going up and I even hear that a ferry service to Manhattan is in the works. Even the economically challenged area weren't as bad (I've seen worse in sections of NYC). Being a resident of NYS (NYC and formally Buffalo, NY) I really like the urban feel of the place. I'm sorry, but I'm a city guy and I MUST live in the city (nothing against my suburban brothers and sisters)

My friend lives in Edison and works at Trinitas Hospital and he informed me that Morris Avenue, Elizabeth Avenue, and Elmora Avenue have great ethnic restaurants and an emerging night life. I liked the blue collar fill of the place and the neighborhoods were very quiet. I will defiantly keep Elizabeth in mind, along with Hudson County.

Decisions, Decisions...I wasn't aware that NJ had so many nice urban areas...

Old 11-28-2007, 04:43 PM

88 posts, read 334,332 times
Default sCARY eLIABETH AND OTHER PLACES!

lOOK AT IT NOW!! sCARY! nO PLACE SAFE, BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO DO THE BEST YOU CAN.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:46 AM

70 posts, read 337,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy2 View Post
lOOK AT IT NOW!! sCARY! nO PLACE SAFE, BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO DO THE BEST YOU CAN.
People won't take your comments seriously if you can't spell words correctly or be grammatically correct in your statements.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:44 AM

53 posts, read 217,656 times
OK here is the deal where i need help. I m not familiar with elizabeth so could someone tell me if south park st in elizabeth city is good neighboorhood to buy single fam home in - has 2 BR - 2 bath - and going for 139K? is this good price? good location? price in line with home location or no? give me some sort of perspective here please. thx.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:39 PM

70 posts, read 337,230 times
Unfortunately, that's not a good area. It is the port area and they are striving to make it better but it's still struggling. The price sounds great but I think it does correlate with the area not being that great. My rule of thumb with Elizabeth is: west of the Turnpike and west of 1&9 is always best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey