Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 12:11 PM

167 posts, read 335,463 times

Advertisements

So, I notice that quite a few houses in and around Bridgewater have wells. My only experience with a well was a vacation home where you couldn't drink the water. What types of filtration systems do you recommend to ensure safe, drinkable water from wells?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 12:23 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,984,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunduri View Post
So, I notice that quite a few houses in and around Bridgewater have wells. My only experience with a well was a vacation home where you couldn't drink the water. What types of filtration systems do you recommend to ensure safe, drinkable water from wells?
Some people have softeners to remove minerals which produce the bad taste and crust up faucets and fixtures. My in-laws (Sussex County) have never used a softener and their water tastes great. Any filtration/softener system has nothing to do with the safety of the water, just the taste. The vacation home you mentioned probably drew water from what is known as a "surface well," in other words a shallow (less than 100') that draws water from the water table near the surface of the ground. That water is subject to bacteria and all kinds of other contamination. They were fine 200 years ago when houses were much further apart, etc...but not now.

Modern wells are drilled deep (often more than 200') to access water trapped in or below bedrock formations. The water is filtered naturally as it seeps through the layers of sand and rock. It is possible for bacteria to contaminate your well casing, but this is usually bacteria introduced from the surface. You can easily "shock" the well using bleach to remedy this problem. Finally, NJ state law requires that the well be tested and documented as safe prior to closing.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:31 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,207,139 times
Quote:
Not sure about filtration but if there is a substantial amount of iron in the water, have your plumber remove the reducing rod in your hot water tank. The iron goes back into solution, and unless present in very high elemental levels, prevents staining of toilet and tub. Worked like a charm at my cottage. I guess that rod is there to retard scale formation, but just flush the tank annually, that should suffice.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:33 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,398,698 times
Quote:
We never filtered our well water in Bridgewater but we did have it tested prior to closing.
If you're looking at a house ask the owners if they are drinking the water and taste it for yourself.

If it tastes lousy keep looking.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:24 AM

343 posts, read 615,723 times
why would you bother pulling and drinking water from the well, when you can just turn on the faucet?

never had a well, so just curious

Old 04-20-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude05 View Post
why would you bother pulling and drinking water from the well, when you can just turn on the faucet? never had a well, so just curious
Where do you think the water comes from before it gets to the faucet?

Old 04-20-2016, 12:12 PM

167 posts, read 335,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
We never filtered our well water in Bridgewater but we did have it tested prior to closing.
If you're looking at a house ask the owners if they are drinking the water and taste it for yourself.

If it tastes lousy keep looking.
Well, for starters, there are substances that can contaminate well water that one would not necessarily taste. Even if the water is tested prior to purchasing the home, contamination with bacteria, viruses or chemicals from run off could occur in the future, so just to be safe, my preference is to have some type of additional filtration system for a home with well water. So, I'm looking for folks that actually do have some type of system hooked up to their home water supply. It would be nice to know what (if anything) they found when they tested the water, what type of system they use, and what the cost and maintenance of said system is. Anyone with hands on experience?

Old 04-20-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Where do you think the water comes from before it gets to the faucet?
yeah but why going through the trouble of trying to get it from the well?

Old 04-20-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude05 View Post
yeah but why going through the trouble of trying to get it from the well?
I think maybe I see the issue here. We're talking about properties that are not served by a public water system and therefore get their water from a well drilled on the property. There are very large areas of New Jersey not served by public water and sewer, and as a result, the properties require a private well and septic system.

Quote:
Well, for starters, there are substances that can contaminate well water that one would not necessarily taste. Even if the water is tested prior to purchasing the home, contamination with bacteria, viruses or chemicals from run off could occur in the future, so just to be safe, my preference is to have some type of additional filtration system for a home with well water. So, I'm looking for folks that actually do have some type of system hooked up to their home water supply. It would be nice to know what (if anything) they found when they tested the water, what type of system they use, and what the cost and maintenance of said system is. Anyone with hands on experience?
If the water was that bad you'd probably be required to drill a new one.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I think maybe I see the issue here. We're talking about properties that are not served by a public water system and therefore get their water from a well drilled on the property. There are very large areas of New Jersey not served by public water and sewer, and as a result, the properties require a private well and septic system.
ah okie thanks for clarifying. That makes sense, was confused why people would bother with wells when there is water from public plumbing, didnt realize there are lot of properties in NJ with no public water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey