Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Positives of relocation southwestern Virginia versus New Jersey, cost of living, decrease in car insurance rates, grocery prices, NJ/NYC style pizza, Chinese food, crime rate, weather and seasons

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 08:14 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtanyc View Post
I dont know yet!!! I'm reading all of the postings on so many threads and it's making me so confused and in despair! I've done some research on NC, FL, CA, now VA. I have no idea where to move my family, but the clock is ticking. I have 2 yrs to find a place, sell my house and find a new home and move. I've lived in NJ my whole life except for living in NYC right after college then I moved back since having my 2 kids. I really dont know anything else except NY/NY metro and it's scarey. I realize I need to actually go visit these places but i need to have a strong feeling before asking my husband to spend the $$ on getting there.
Why don't you start with whatever line of work you and your husband are in, and see if the places you are looking into have available jobs on those fields. Also make a list of what you want in terms of schools, accessibility to certain areas (beaches, cities, etc), and what you don't want (the boonies, a lot of traffic, etc). What does your ideal place look like for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:41 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,276,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtanyc View Post
I dont know yet!!! I'm reading all of the postings on so many threads and it's making me so confused and in despair! I've done some research on NC, FL, CA, now VA. I have no idea where to move my family, but the clock is ticking. I have 2 yrs to find a place, sell my house and find a new home and move. I've lived in NJ my whole life except for living in NYC right after college then I moved back since having my 2 kids. I really dont know anything else except NY/NY metro and it's scarey. I realize I need to actually go visit these places but i need to have a strong feeling before asking my husband to spend the $$ on getting there.
Did you look into PA ? PA, like the other states you're looking at, is one of the top destination states.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:12 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Be sure to read all the the fine print for where ever you go. Friends of ours went to TN & go broke trying to put clothes on their kids because of the high taxes. They said there are 2 days during the year that the tax is lifted.

From what I hear of the Carolinas; people from Jersey don't fit in. I know someone that moved to NC & had issues getting a job because of being from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey