Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 03:25 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Well not everyone can afford Ridgewood or Wyckoff. I happen to agree with everyone saying Fair Lawn is one of the most "affordable" towns in Bergen County with everything it offers. Your comments come off as inconsiderate and snobbish.
Carlstadt, East Rutherford and Lyndhurst are cheaper and just as nice and closer to NYC. Just because Fair Lawn is further north doesn't make it on par with surrounding towns, well maybe on par with Elmwood Park but that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 06:31 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Carlstadt, East Rutherford and Lyndhurst are cheaper and just as nice and closer to NYC. Just because Fair Lawn is further north doesn't make it on par with surrounding towns, well maybe on par with Elmwood Park but that's about it.
Those are all fine towns but the fact that they're cheaper AND closer to NYC should tell you something.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:20 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Fair Lawn has a lot of nicer sections than Elmwood Park. While both border Paterson, some of Paterson seems to have actually spilled over into Elmwood Park. Go to the KMart in Elmwood Park sometime. I locked my keys in my car once at that KMart years ago and just looked around and called somebody over and he had my car open in 15 seconds lol. Having the river as a border is helpful to Fair Lawn.

Also, it does not border the meadowlands as Carlstadt, East Rutherford, and Lyndhurst do. That might matter to someone.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:56 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,143 times
Quote:
Fair Lawn's schools are way better than these other towns you've mentioned. You keep missing the point. NOBODY on this thread is saying Fair Lawn is Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Wyckoff or Franklin Lakes. What we're saying is Fair Lawn is one of the best options in Bergen County for families that can NOT afford towns like Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Wyckoff and Franklin Lakes. Mainly because of its decent schools, affordable homes and proximity to the city. Capisce?

Old 10-07-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Fair Lawn has a lot of nicer sections than Elmwood Park. While both border Paterson, some of Paterson seems to have actually spilled over into Elmwood Park. Go to the KMart in Elmwood Park sometime. I locked my keys in my car once at that KMart years ago and just looked around and called somebody over and he had my car open in 15 seconds lol. Having the river as a border is helpful to Fair Lawn.

Also, it does not border the meadowlands as Carlstadt, East Rutherford, and Lyndhurst do. That might matter to someone.
EP's proximity to Paterson has made it go downhill. The schools are not good either. This has not happened in Fair Lawn, despite also being close to Paterson.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Fair Lawn's schools are way better than these other towns you've mentioned. You keep missing the point. NOBODY on this thread is saying Fair Lawn is Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Wyckoff or Franklin Lakes. What we're saying is Fair Lawn is one of the best options in Bergen County for families that can NOT afford towns like Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Wyckoff and Franklin Lakes. Mainly because of its decent schools, affordable homes and proximity to the city. Capisce?
No, I do not capisce.

How could Fair Lawn be the "best" option in Bergen County when there are other towns that are basically the same by comparison. As for the schools, Carlstadt, ER and Lyndhurst have fine schools (although Becton HS is pretty rough) but if you have a kid in elementary school who is to say what the schools will be like in 10 to 15 years anyway? There is always the Fairmont section of Hackensack which is pretty nice as well and affordable. Also, not too far from Fair Lawn is Paterson which has some nice areas as well as Passaic and bordering Clifton.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
No, I do not capisce.

How could Fair Lawn be the "best" option in Bergen County when there are other towns that are basically the same by comparison. As for the schools, Carlstadt, ER and Lyndhurst have fine schools (although Becton HS is pretty rough) but if you have a kid in elementary school who is to say what the schools will be like in 10 to 15 years anyway? There is always the Fairmont section of Hackensack which is pretty nice as well and affordable. Also, not too far from Fair Lawn is Paterson which has some nice areas as well as Passaic and bordering Clifton.
Once again, all these towns and neighborhoods you've mentioned do not have schools on par with Fair Lawn. Especially the high schools. Fair Lawn High is comparable to Hackensack, Clifton or Passaic High in your eyes?? 10-15 years will do nothing to even the gap either.

Other towns comparable to Fair Lawn in this area: Rutherford, Hasbrouck Heights, Leonia, and Waldwick.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:47 PM

4 posts, read 8,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cukcoo_nest View Post
The area you are referring to is a good area. The price would be driven by what is in offer - so cant comment. If yours is renovated/like new, then yes, you are looking at low to mid 500s. WP is rated 9 (which is great given how competitive NJ schools are!), but the general opinion is that it is not as good as radburn or milnes...which I wonder why - because of this sentiment I am guessing that for the same house you pay 10k more in milnes/radburn?. Kids in WP are from more diverse background/ethinicity. If you want more jewish concentration you get it in milnes/radburn area. If you want more diversity WP is the way to go. Don't fall for the ones who heap praise on the school they are attached to - everyone is going to be biased. Go by statistics from great schools and school digger. If you commute to NYC, your best option would be Braodway train in the mornings and bus back home (to avoid issues with missing the connecting trains in Secaucus in the evenings). If you like bus for both ways, you can walk to morlot ave and 208 and take 148 express.

Overall Fair lawn is a good town with good commute, schools and most of all good friendly people Good luck!

Hi, sounds like you know a thing or two about the commute from Fair Lawn. I'm looking to buy there and nervous about the commute. Do you know anything about the bus parking lot on Saddle River Rd? I'm wondering if it fills up by 7:30am? Or do you know of another lot close to an express bus into Port Authority?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 10-09-2016, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Once again, all these towns and neighborhoods you've mentioned do not have schools on par with Fair Lawn. Especially the high schools. Fair Lawn High is comparable to Hackensack, Clifton or Passaic High in your eyes?? 10-15 years will do nothing to even the gap either.

Other towns comparable to Fair Lawn in this area: Rutherford, Hasbrouck Heights, Leonia, and Waldwick.
Waldwick is another town people like to prop up. It is better than Fair Lawn though. I looked at buying in Fair Lawn in 2005. Glad I didn't. I know people who live there and there who refer to it as northern bogota.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:15 PM

38 posts, read 55,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffiG79 View Post
Hi, sounds like you know a thing or two about the commute from Fair Lawn. I'm looking to buy there and nervous about the commute. Do you know anything about the bus parking lot on Saddle River Rd? I'm wondering if it fills up by 7:30am? Or do you know of another lot close to an express bus into Port Authority?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
I haven't used the parking lot on saddle river road, so can't comment. It's NOT restricted to just fair lawn residents I believe, anyone can park - check fair lawn town website to confirm. Try going to the parking lot on Monday-Thursday to see.

If u are thinking of taking express 164, u can just street park nearby and walk to TD BANK bus stop (landzettel way or Ackerman dr?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey