Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:39 AM

14 posts, read 116,029 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone could share their thoughts on commuter parking at Glen Rock and Ridgewood stations weekday mornings. My husband and I are considering buying a house in one of these towns, but are wondering if it is impossible to park around 8am at either of these stations.

If so, what do people do? Take a bus to the station(if there even are any)? Park on the street somewhere near the station?

Basically, I just want to figure out if the house we buy has to be within walking distance of the station.

Many thanks for your help!
Laura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 07:10 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,866,474 times
Do you mean train, or bus? For train in Ridgewood, you need a permit, and to be a resident, then you need to pump quarters in , last time I checked. Not positive on the quarters. The permit might be all that you need.There is no shortage of parking I don't think assuming you are not trying to leave for work at 9am.

For bus in Ridgewood, there is a huge lot on Route 17 south. I think you just need a permit, don't think you need to pay the meter. I could be wrong on both of these.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:48 AM

276 posts, read 1,459,261 times
My husband used to commute to NYC and we live in Ridgewood. He rarely used the Ridgewood station since by 6:30, the lot was usually full. They are building new parking facilities in town, but I imagine it will be a year or two (maybe more) until its operational. And yes, you still need quarters, even if you have a permit.

He used the Ho-Ho-Kus station, which was much less crowded. He almost always found a parking space there, even if he went in late. The Ho-Ho-Kus train station is also walkable from many Ridgewood neighborhoods (our included), so keep that in mind when looking at homes.

Be forewarned that if your car is not out of the parking lot by 8pm in any of these lots, you can be ticketed - even if you still have money in the meter. I can't tell you how many parking tickets my husband received when he was working late.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:59 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,932,256 times
The big parking lot right next to the station is full by about 7 am. There is another parking lot about 5 min walk from the train station that has 12-hour meters. That one usually has spots later in the morning.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:50 PM

14 posts, read 116,029 times
Thank you all for your help.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:15 PM

4 posts, read 34,203 times
Default Parking at Glen Rock station

How about in Glen Rock? Is there parking available there around 7am? We are looking in the area as well and heard the parking was good in Glen Rock. Thanks!

Old 03-10-2008, 08:34 AM

3 posts, read 15,541 times
Default I park in Ridgewood every day

I was concerned about the parking as well when we were looking for a home in Bergen County - We tried to find a house from which I could walk to the train, but it just didnt happen whether we were looking in Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Hillsdale, etc - Yes, the train station parking lot fills up very early, unless its a holiday week - I drive to the Cottage Place parking lot off Ridgewood Ave (behind the Gap) where they have 12-hour parking meters - I put in $3 in quarters per day into the meter - Yes, its a pain, but even with a Ridgewood resident permit (costs $25 per year) which enables you to park in other lots that are a bit closer to the train, you still have to put in $3 in quarters each day! But alot of other towns in Bergen County have fewer or no parking options, you may have to enter a lottery and maybe " win" a parking permit (that you pay for) - The meters are in effect until 8pm, after that you do not have to pay - I have not been ticketed on the days I have had to work late/stay late in NYC. My boss lives in Glen Rock and he never has a problem getting a parking spot at the Glen Rock train station, but I think he takes an early train - He also told me that Glen Rock has a shuttle bus service that picks up commuters from various areas in Glen Rock and brings them to/from the station -

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhousehunter View Post
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone could share their thoughts on commuter parking at Glen Rock and Ridgewood stations weekday mornings. My husband and I are considering buying a house in one of these towns, but are wondering if it is impossible to park around 8am at either of these stations.

If so, what do people do? Take a bus to the station(if there even are any)? Park on the street somewhere near the station?

Basically, I just want to figure out if the house we buy has to be within walking distance of the station.

Many thanks for your help!
Laura

Old 03-10-2008, 10:34 AM
ira

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc1266 View Post
I was concerned about the parking as well when we were looking for a home in Bergen County - We tried to find a house from which I could walk to the train, but it just didnt happen whether we were looking in Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Hillsdale, etc - Yes, the train station parking lot fills up very early, unless its a holiday week - I drive to the Cottage Place parking lot off Ridgewood Ave (behind the Gap) where they have 12-hour parking meters - I put in $3 in quarters per day into the meter - Yes, its a pain, but even with a Ridgewood resident permit (costs $25 per year) which enables you to park in other lots that are a bit closer to the train, you still have to put in $3 in quarters each day! But alot of other towns in Bergen County have fewer or no parking options, you may have to enter a lottery and maybe " win" a parking permit (that you pay for) - The meters are in effect until 8pm, after that you do not have to pay - I have not been ticketed on the days I have had to work late/stay late in NYC. My boss lives in Glen Rock and he never has a problem getting a parking spot at the Glen Rock train station, but I think he takes an early train - He also told me that Glen Rock has a shuttle bus service that picks up commuters from various areas in Glen Rock and brings them to/from the station -
Is $25 per year a new thing? I renewed my permit in January and didn't pay anything. Is this some kind of special permit?

Old 03-10-2008, 06:37 PM

4 posts, read 34,203 times
How far is the Cottage Place lot from the Ridgewood train station? Around what time do those spots fill up? Also, around what time do the Glen Rock train station resident spots fill up? Thanks so much for any input!

Old 03-11-2008, 04:29 PM
ira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbygster View Post
How far is the Cottage Place lot from the Ridgewood train station? Around what time do those spots fill up? Also, around what time do the Glen Rock train station resident spots fill up? Thanks so much for any input!
It's a few bocks away. 5-7 min walk. There are always spots there. Don't know about Glen Rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey