Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 07:44 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,536,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
how is my backyard relevant in this discussion?
Since you said the Meadowlands area was of "no importance", I think your backyard would be just as good. It is also of "no importance" (at least to me, because it's not my backyard).

Quote:
why are you asking me that? has anyone purchased those properties with an intention to pave it over? is changing the subject something you guys are doing because you cant speak directly about developing the meadowlands area?
I believe we're using it as examples, much of the meadowlands area is parks, but you don't seem to care, because you find it of little importance. Well...... Central park would make a wonderful area to develop, right in the heart of NYC!!

Turn the Statue of Liberty into a condo! You could get big bucks for someone's bedroom in the Torch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 10:12 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,786,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Since you said the Meadowlands area was of "no importance", I think your backyard would be just as good. It is also of "no importance" (at least to me, because it's not my backyard).

I believe we're using it as examples, much of the meadowlands area is parks, but you don't seem to care, because you find it of little importance. Well...... Central park would make a wonderful area to develop, right in the heart of NYC!!

Turn the Statue of Liberty into a condo! You could get big bucks for someone's bedroom in the Torch!
i know that you think it is clever to compare this situation to my backyard but it isnt clever. if i sold my backyard to someone, then they can put whatever they want on it as far as im concerned. however, as long as i own it, i will not approve of someone building on it. how is that scenario similar to the meadowlands? i am not suggesting that anyone build on someone else's private property.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
i know that you think it is clever to compare this situation to my backyard but it isnt clever. if i sold my backyard to someone, then they can put whatever they want on it as far as im concerned. however, as long as i own it, i will not approve of someone building on it. how is that scenario similar to the meadowlands? i am not suggesting that anyone build on someone else's private property.
OK, instead of your "backyard" the lot behind your house, or next door. You wouldn't care if it was a toxic waste dump? or a convenience store open 24-7. You wouldn't complain to the planning board?

Old 08-15-2016, 11:47 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,007,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Between the barrier islands and the mainland there's a lot of wetlands; some of it is open water, but much of it is swampy like the meadowlands.
Last time I was down the shore, much of the coastal area right up to the water is built up.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
why are you asking me that? has anyone purchased those properties with an intention to pave it over? is changing the subject something you guys are doing because you cant speak directly about developing the meadowlands area?
this isnt about the meadowlands. I dont even remember how this went off topic. If you ask me questions, I get to ask you too. But it wasnt really a question directed at you, but a rhetorical question. We should keep the Meadowlands as is for the same reasons we dont reclaim the East River or pave over all the small bits of wetlands on Long Island.

Many large metro areas have large swarths of untouched natural land kind of in between it all. Like in SoCal, you have all those mountains. But there is development all around it.

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 08-15-2016 at 12:06 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue biker View Post
since you said the meadowlands area was of "no importance", i think your backyard would be just as good. It is also of "no importance" (at least to me, because it's not my backyard).

i believe we're using it as examples, much of the meadowlands area is parks, but you don't seem to care, because you find it of little importance. Well...... Central park would make a wonderful area to develop, right in the heart of nyc!!

Turn the statue of liberty into a condo! You could get big bucks for someone's bedroom in the torch!
lol

Old 08-15-2016, 12:34 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,786,951 times
Quote:
OK, instead of your "backyard" the lot behind your house, or next door. You wouldn't care if it was a toxic waste dump? or a convenience store open 24-7. You wouldn't complain to the planning board?
but once again this was never your point. i dont believe anyone took issue with developing the meadowlands area because it would bother the neighbors. all i see are positions of "its unique" "its natural wetlands" etc. etc. i have no problem discussing my backyard or neighboring lots but not under the pretense that it is relevant to this discussion. you are just deflecting because you dont really have the ability to defend your assertion for protecting the meadowlands from development.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:01 PM

l
Quote:
but once again this was never your point. i dont believe anyone took issue with developing the meadowlands area because it would bother the neighbors. all i see are positions of "its unique" "its natural wetlands" etc. etc. i have no problem discussing my backyard or neighboring lots but not under the pretense that it is relevant to this discussion. you are just deflecting because you dont really have the ability to defend your assertion for protecting the meadowlands from development.
Actually I'd like to see the Meadowlands saved from development. Why don't they build these in the derelict parts of Newark or Paterson??? Land that's unused, abandoned factories? It would revitalize cities, provide jobs and a tax base. Also some mass transportation support is already in place. Sounds like it would be a win-win. Instead of this eyesore seen from the NJ Turnpike. With an indoor ski slope???

They built Prudential Arena in Newark, now we have an arena in the Meadowlands that sits vacant. People will travel to Newark to hockey game, baseball stadium, PAC, why wouldn't they travet to a mall???

Old 08-15-2016, 02:18 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,881,875 times
Quote:
l

Actually I'd like to see the Meadowlands saved from development. Why don't they build these in the derelict parts of Newark or Paterson???
This sounds suspiciously like land that the NJSEA can't build a parking lot on and charge thirty dollars a pop. Instead it would go to, gasp! Local owners! Oh noes! How would anyone get kickbacks?

Old 08-15-2016, 02:39 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,322,870 times
Detailed article in today's WSJ. Here's the link, (but I don't pay the gate fee. Maybe some of you have?)
Financing Plan Reawakes American Dream Mall Project in N.J.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey