Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 12:12 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
They probably left Jersey City because they got priced out. I can't imagine any other reason a person would prefer to live in Newark and then sit in traffic driving to Jersey City every day. Makes no sense. The Ironbound is WAY overrated and doesn't have nearly as much to offer as downtown Jersey City.

Regardless, crime in Newark is not confined to certain areas in the South and West. There have been plenty of incidents in downtown Newark (remember the kid that got beat up in front of his father when attending a concert at the Prudential Center?). I lived in downtown Jersey City for many years and it was virtually crime free.
Crime in Newark IS generally confined to certain areas, especially violent crime. However that's not to say things can't happen anywhere - but that goes for any place, city or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 02:33 PM

64 posts, read 84,955 times
Looking to cap it at $1700. Is that doable? I mean that can't even pay for a studio in Brooklyn. I've seen many apartments for rent on Bergen Avenue by this one agency in particular. The rents they advertise are right up my alley but as I not familiar with Jersey at all not sure if it's worth it.

I appreciate all the help!

....And should I take The Colonnade Apartments out of my equation?

Last edited by TT942; 08-30-2016 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add a question

Old 08-30-2016, 02:53 PM

111 posts, read 112,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT942 View Post
Looking to cap it at $1700. Is that doable? I mean that can't even pay for a studio in Brooklyn. I've seen many apartments for rent on Bergen Avenue by this one agency in particular. The rents they advertise are right up my alley but as I not familiar with Jersey at all not sure if it's worth it.

I appreciate all the help!

....And should I take The Colonnade Apartments out of my equation?
The Colonnade. That's by.. 8th Ave and Orange St, or Martin Luther King Blvd by Rt 280 in Newark. Very close to Broad St. Is that right?

I would be willing to walk Bergen Ave and look at some, unless you have them already selected. How many bedroom?

Aside from parking, I cant imagine you being dissatisfied with an apartment on Bergen Ave in Jersey City, aside from possible parking. Its not that bad. Greenville Precinct is nearby.. Bergen Ave can be loud but its a thriving street. And runs parallel to JFK Blvd.

Your budget should get you a spot you can just about fall in love with, based on what you said. In my opinion.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
The median household income in Jersey City is $58,000. In Newark, it's $34,000.Mar 4, 2014Jersey City will overtake Newark population by 2016, Mayor Fulop ...

www.nj.com/.../fulop_boasts_jersey_city_will_overtake_newark_population_by...NJ.com

The schools are worse in Newark, chances of being a victim of a violent crime is worse. I could go on and on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0ggie View Post
The Colonnade. That's by.. 8th Ave and Orange St, or Martin Luther King Blvd by Rt 280 in Newark. Very close to Broad St. Is that right?

I would be willing to walk Bergen Ave and look at some, unless you have them already selected. How many bedroom?

Aside from parking, I cant imagine you being dissatisfied with an apartment on Bergen Ave in Jersey City, aside from possible parking. Its not that bad. Greenville Precinct is nearby.. Bergen Ave can be loud but its a thriving street. And runs parallel to JFK Blvd.

Your budget should get you a spot you can just about fall in love with, based on what you said. In my opinion.
Yes, the Colonnade Apartments are close to 280. The PATH train stop is Broad street and the light rail stop is Orange if I'm not mistaken. I'm lookking for a three bedroom and there's one available there for $1800 which is a freaking steal!!!

I'll take the walk, although I must admit that usually when a street is named after a prominent black activist or something it's also the worst place to live...but I could be wrong.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:44 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
I would take the Bergen Avenue apartment off my list. I worked in that precinct on Bergen Avenue for almost 30 years. Heights/ Journal Square areas. Downtown is the best but rent is high. Give me any street and I know it like the back of my hand.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:36 PM

625 posts, read 797,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
They probably left Jersey City because they got priced out. I can't imagine any other reason a person would prefer to live in Newark and then sit in traffic driving to Jersey City every day. Makes no sense. The Ironbound is WAY overrated and doesn't have nearly as much to offer as downtown Jersey City.

Regardless, crime in Newark is not confined to certain areas in the South and West. There have been plenty of incidents in downtown Newark (remember the kid that got beat up in front of his father when attending a concert at the Prudential Center?). I lived in downtown Jersey City for many years and it was virtually crime free.
They could afford it but felt there was no difference in the quality of life. They said the Ironbound was better than their precious neighborhood and th bar saving $700 per month in a brand new apt.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, the Colonnade Apartments are close to 280. The PATH train stop is Broad street and the light rail stop is Orange if I'm not mistaken. I'm lookking for a three bedroom and there's one available there for $1800 which is a freaking steal!!!

I'll take the walk, although I must admit that usually when a street is named after a prominent black activist or something it's also the worst place to live...but I could be wrong.
The PATH train goes to Newark Penn Station. Then stops immediately in Harrison, then has Jersey City stops at Journal Square, Grove St, Newport, and Exchange Place (only Newport requires a change of train, the rest are on the same line) and then the Hoboken and New York stops. Runs along some NYC Subway lines too.. switch at 14th St or... ok thats NY stuff. At NEWARK Penn Station, Newark City Subway (Newark Light Rail) takes you to Broad St Station and then those apartments at a block away. It does go up to Orange which could be good, but a different line. Just know: Newark = they ALWAYS check tickets. Usually at Orange St but very frequently. Jersey City Light Rail? Man. They do, but almost never. But for the two hours they are out, they have no shortage of people that did not pay their fare. Almost never see them, though. Even when you think you would. Saturday mornings they like to get folks...

I would be worried about the population around there. As to streets named after prominent black leaders... well, I used to live on that same ave, but a different part of Newark. Yes, my car got stolen. There are individuals that steal cars... that is all that they do. Your car can get stolen in Jersey City too, but is MUCH more likely to happen in Newark. And so far, I havent heard of anything improving, despite all the new officers and etc. And I say again... their video must not work. They had a murder up the block, and a billboard asking for information. On the corner was a brand new, expensive dome camera...........

So which is sounding better to you now, the "steal" at the Colonnade or somewhere Bergen St?

Old 08-30-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I would take the Bergen Avenue apartment off my list. I worked in that precinct on Bergen Avenue for almost 30 years. Heights/ Journal Square areas. Downtown is the best but rent is high. Give me any street and I know it like the back of my hand.
Is there anything renting around or on West Side Ave, Danforth Ave.. ?? (If OP is still thinking Jersey City)

Old 08-30-2016, 06:54 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Looking to cap it at $1700. Is that doable? I mean that can't even pay for a studio in Brooklyn.
Okay, if you're interested in living in Brooklyn, actually you CAN rent an apartment in Brooklyn for $1700 or less.
In fact, not only could you rent a studio in Brooklyn, but you could actually rent a 2 bedroom apartment in many neighborhoods of Brooklyn for $1700/month.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Okay, if you're interested in living in Brooklyn, actually you CAN rent an apartment in Brooklyn for $1700 or less.
In fact, not only could you rent a studio in Brooklyn, but you could actually rent a 2 bedroom apartment in many neighborhoods of Brooklyn for $1700/month.

I live in Brooklyn and have lived here all my life. The only thing you can rent in Brooklyn for $1700 is a studio or one bedroom. If you're looking for a three bedroom in a decent neighborhood in Brooklyn, be prepared to spend $2500-3500 and I'm NOT paying for that, I know folks with mortgages that are less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey