Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:25 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,445 times

Advertisements

North Jersey and South Jersey are so different! I've lived in both areas, as well as the metropolitan cities that either are just outside of (NYC and Phila.). It's apparent that most people on this forum favor, or have more knowledge of, one or the other.

Would it be crazy to have separate forums for each??? Any input is appreciated...

xoxo hollygolightly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 12:35 AM

718 posts, read 2,325,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
North Jersey and South Jersey are so different! I've lived in both areas, as well as the metropolitan cities that either are just outside of (NYC and Phila.). It's apparent that most people on this forum favor, or have more knowledge of, one or the other.

Would it be crazy to have separate forums for each??? Any input is appreciated...

xoxo hollygolightly
I couldnt agree more with you. This is the real Mason Dixon as Maryland/Delaware to PA is too blurry.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:15 AM

387 posts, read 1,429,789 times
They are very much completely different... But at the end of the day we are all still New Jerseyans!

Old 03-02-2008, 03:21 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post

xoxo hollygolightly
The idea to create separate subforums for New Jersey was brought up about 6 months ago. There was a poll, and the majority of people voted against subforums. Despite the difference between North and South Jersey, it seemed people felt that:

1. People have very different definitions of what North and South Jersey each include.
2. Some people believe there's a Central Jersey, others do not.
3. Someone seeking to move to New Jersey could potentially relocate to any of the two or three regions. For example, someone posting saying "Need a place to live 1 hour from Manhattan" could post in North, Central or even South Jersey subforums seeking the same advice. Most people seemed to think it was simpler to keep up just one NJ forum.

Read through this thread to see the blow-by-blow: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...itan-area.html

Old 03-02-2008, 05:17 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
I wanted to split the forums into East Jersey and West Jersey but nobody would listen.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:55 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,125 times
I am one of those that believes in a Central Jersey! Here is what NJ (IMO) should be broken up into:

North Jersey:
Sussex County
Warren County
Bergen County
Passaic County
Morris County
Essex County
Hudson County
Union County

Central Jersey:
Middlesex County
Somerset County
Hunterdon County
Mercer County
Monmouth County

South Jersey:
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Burlington County
Gloucester County
Camden County
Salem County
Cumberland County
Cape May County

And for those who insist that there is no Central Jersey, then just make Monmouth part of South Jersey and everything else on the Central Jersey list part of North Jersey.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:06 PM

Ocean County is Central Jersey. Toms River area is all ex-NYers. People are starting to move farther south toward LBI.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:03 PM

Just because Ex-New Yorkers are moving into the area, does not make Ocean County part of North Jersey (or part of New York if we look at it using this logic). So if we had an influx of Mississippi and Alabama natives in Bergen County, does it make it a county that's part of the south? In a geographical sense, it would always be part of North Jersey.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Just because Ex-New Yorkers are moving into the area, does not make Ocean County part of North Jersey
Sorry I said North Jersey. I meant to say Central Jersey.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Just because Ex-New Yorkers are moving into the area, does not make Ocean County part of North Jersey (or part of New York if we look at it using this logic). So if we had an influx of Mississippi and Alabama natives in Bergen County, does it make it a county that's part of the south? In a geographical sense, it would always be part of North Jersey.
Alright calm down I'll get technical here. Most people I know from Toms River area (NJ natives) tend to align with NY, fly out of Newark etc. Burlington/Camden people usually only go to Ocean County for LBI, and rarely anything north. 9 of 10 people in the Philly metro have never even been to Seaside, Pt Pleasant, Belmar. Toms River has little connection with Cherry Hill area (exception: congressional district).

Case in point, NY-bound NJ transit is already in Point Pleasant and Bay Head (Ocean County) and they are proposing an extension through Jackson, Howell, and Lakehurst (again Ocean County). There are express buses running from Ocean County to Port Authority. Real South Jersey is suburban Philadelphia and AC area.

Southern Ocean County is the buffer zone I guess. Maybe route 72 is the divider, I have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey