Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 03:53 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times

Advertisements

just wondering if people in south jersey are more southern like than people in north nj? do you guys in the southern part get the finger,get mowed down while driving, have people speak to you even if they dont know you{like a neighboor waving hi or coming over with a cake like they do in florida? any rural cheap areas in s. jersey with rent for under $2000 for a decent 4 bedroom apt or house? just wondering because i plan on moving to south jersey because i cant take the rude people a day longer. i really want to stay in state, esp during this rough economy, but if people are the same in south jersey as they are in n. jersey, i may reconsider north carolina. also i am particularly interested in salem city since it is rural,burlington county esp burlington city and boro, lawnside, and glassboro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 04:44 PM

250 posts, read 905,791 times
The pace of Southern NJ is definitely slower and you may find people nicer. I'd extend possibly New Castle Co. DE and Cecil Co. MD as similar. Somewhat downscale though but pace is slower. Haven't explored the rest of DE very well but probably too.PA is different however. Greener, more elevation changes with hills, etc. and people are a little different too.That being said, some towns like Cherry Hill and other towns with a PATCO stop, may have a pace like a Central NJ town, though with Philly influence not NY.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:34 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,743 times
I found just the opposite living and working in north jersey for 8 years. People around the Philly area are tougher and more active socially. I think northern NJ is probably ruder and less tolerant but they talk slower and are less active. South Jersey down the shore is a different story, the pace is slower but not around Philly. You also can't get good food in northern NJ or at least it's rare. Philly metro blows away north jersey for sloppy eats, pizza, etc. You'll disagree but you'd be incorrect based on my experiences, granted there might be some spots in NNJ where you can get a hoagie or cheesesteak that doesn't suck.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 05-04-2009 at 06:07 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 05:44 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,919,316 times
Since most of South Jersey these days is populated by people who moved from North Jersey, there really isn't much difference. I see as many fingers being given in SJ as NJ. The NYC and Philly suburbs are pretty much equivalent, save the accent (your choice which is better... or worse), and the Shore has its own culture in general. I think the typical South Jersey "piney" is getting harder and harder to find.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:49 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,743 times
The culture is definitely different around the Pine Barrons east to the shore communities. But keep in mind you have lots of retirees that way that don't want to spend anything on property tax and vote everything down. The same is true in north jersey the farther west you go. The biggest hillbillies I have ever met lived in that region of NJ. Even deep south jersey where some of the poorer spots are, they are not hillbillies.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:40 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,527,415 times
If you're going to move from N. Jersey to S. Jersey, you might as well move to North Carolina.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:50 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,414,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
I found just the opposite living and working in north jersey for 8 years. People around the Philly area are tougher and more active socially. I think northern NJ is probably ruder and less tolerant but they talk slower and are less active. South Jersey down the shore is a different story, the pace is slower but not around Philly. You also can't get good food in northern NJ or at least it's rare. Philly metro blows away north jersey for sloppy eats, pizza, etc. You'll disagree but you'd be incorrect based on my experiences, granted there might be some spots in NNJ where you can get a hoagie or cheesesteak that doesn't suck.

Good food in North Jersey rare? Dumb dumb dumb

Old 05-04-2009, 06:53 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Ignore this guy, he is a notorious North Jersey hater.

I mean, everyone knows that Subs (I mean "hoagies") & cheesesteaks are the height of cuisine.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:01 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
just wondering if people in south jersey are more southern like than people in north nj? do you guys in the southern part get the finger,get mowed down while driving, have people speak to you even if they dont know you{like a neighboor waving hi or coming over with a cake like they do in florida? any rural cheap areas in s. jersey with rent for under $2000 for a decent 4 bedroom apt or house? just wondering because i plan on moving to south jersey because i cant take the rude people a day longer. i really want to stay in state, esp during this rough economy, but if people are the same in south jersey as they are in n. jersey, i may reconsider north carolina. also i am particularly interested in salem city since it is rural,burlington county esp burlington city and boro, lawnside, and glassboro.
For 2,000 there are plenty and people in south jersey are more down to earth. Glassboro and Burlington city are very different towns, if u visit north jersey a lot look at burlington/mercer (dark environment) otherwise I recommend camden/gloucester/ocean/atlanic counties (bright environment) where the ny ******* attitude is nonexistent.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:03 PM

538 posts, read 2,458,410 times
IMO:

There are 2 regions of North NJ, each quite different from one another: Northwest, Northeast.

Northwest: Mostly rural, mountainous, lakes, rivers, farms, tree, small towns. Slower pace, some hillbillies, some farmers, also some very rich people. Landscape like Poconos and Upstate NY. Few jobs.

Northeast: Typically what people think of when they think of NJ: malls, crowds, ghettos, pollution. Also, great restaurants, diversity, some nice suburbs, more jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey