Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:42 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,339,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
I found just the opposite living and working in north jersey for 8 years. People around the Philly area are tougher and more active socially. I think northern NJ is probably ruder and less tolerant but they talk slower and are less active. South Jersey down the shore is a different story, the pace is slower but not around Philly. .
I agree with this. In South Jersey, the closer to Philly you are the more you (the OP) probably won't find what you're looking for. The shore area might be good, but will probably be more expensive. I think the only area you mentioned that would fit the description you said would be Salem, but a couple other options might be places like Cumberland, Pittsgrove, Woodstown, or Swedesboro.

However, although I don't know much about it, I think Phish Head might be right in that you could probably find what you're looking for in NW NJ as well in areas around the Delaware Water Gap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Ignore this guy, he is a notorious North Jersey hater.

I mean, everyone knows that Subs (I mean "hoagies") & cheesesteaks are the height of cuisine.

North Jersey hater? Honestly south Jersey is barely NJ at all.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:13 AM

24 posts, read 76,117 times
Just a couple comments. I have lived in South Jersey for 40 years and have never met, seriously, a single person who has moved here from North Jersey, so I don't know where that info comes from. There are tons of people who have moved from Philly though. Also, there really isn't much of an area in South Jersey where you would find a "piney." The people in South Jersey are nothing like that.

Secondly, for the initial question of moving here. I would look hard at Salem City before I would ever decide to move there. It really isn't a very nice place for the most part. Some other parts of Salem County are really nice however.

If you want to get away from taxes though, NC may be your best bet.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:22 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2sc View Post
Just a couple comments. I have lived in South Jersey for 40 years and have never met, seriously, a single person who has moved here from North Jersey, so I don't know where that info comes from. There are tons of people who have moved from Philly though. Also, there really isn't much of an area in South Jersey where you would find a "piney." The people in South Jersey are nothing like that.

Secondly, for the initial question of moving here. I would look hard at Salem City before I would ever decide to move there. It really isn't a very nice place for the most part. Some other parts of Salem County are really nice however.

Then you haven't met 90% of the development my mother lived in.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:44 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,516,893 times
If you drive around South Jersey today you will see a lot of NY plates and many PA plates relocated out of Philly.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:51 AM

250 posts, read 905,517 times
NC is definitely a popular escape to state. Roughly a 1 hour flight, so one is still close to family left behind, better winters, lower taxes and cost of living. You can't get that anywhere in NJ.

Central NJ seems to be the place with a lot more ex Northern NJers. While there are some woodsy less densely populated areas in Mercer County and Northwest NJ that aren't what ppl think of Northern NJ, it's still different than Southern NJ.

there's also a difference to when one crosses into Burlington County. People, retail, etc. and its Philly/Southern NJ from that point forward. Over by the Shore, I know the start off is lower and Southern NJ starts in Southern Ocean County where Atlantic City regionalization starts.

Which development or town did your mother live in? Was it like Bordentown or Vincetown?

Mt.Laurel and Marlton are sprawl towns of Cherry Hill, which is Philly commuter oriented, though Marlton has a little piney in it, given that a portion borders Medford and a part of the town has Pinelands designation. Also, you have a number of ppl living in Marlton that don't commute into PA.

MoorestownResident, what do you mean by active? Like physically active - into hiking and stuff? Yes, maybe I can see that, that people living in Northern NJ (the northeast part) maybe less into outdoorsy stuff, but I bet if you consider that there is higher incomes, they may take vacations, where the Southern NJ folk may be on limited incomes, and less able to have getaways. In areas in PA, I think one can get into hiking and outdoors easy (its more accessible).

Old 05-05-2009, 09:55 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,130 times
You don't have to go south, just go west!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:58 AM

297 posts, read 505,273 times
North Jersey vs. South Jersey...does any of this really matter? With the way things are going in 10 years we'll all be in PA, it will be Allentown vs. Bethlehem, and we'll all be talking about the new PA Governor Corzine and how we're moving to Ohio to escape the taxes and insane housing prices.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I agree with this. In South Jersey, the closer to Philly you are the more you (the OP) probably won't find what you're looking for. The shore area might be good, but will probably be more expensive. I think the only area you mentioned that would fit the description you said would be Salem, but a couple other options might be places like Cumberland, Pittsgrove, Woodstown, or Swedesboro.

However, although I don't know much about it, I think Phish Head might be right in that you could probably find what you're looking for in NW NJ as well in areas around the Delaware Water Gap.
The only areas of the shore that are expensive are the big money shore towns and property on or near water. Most of the inland towns like Toms River and others in Ocean and Altantic counties that are not that expensive.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2sc View Post

If you are bringing up Salem County I would venture to guess that very few people from NY, Long Island or North Jersey have relocated down that far. My next door neighbor relocated from Long Island and there is no shortage of NY plates on the local and major roadways along the I-295 corridor in SJ. This is a vast change from 20-30 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey