Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 12:09 PM

16 posts, read 32,778 times

Advertisements

I know what the train schedule says but with all the delays what are the actual average commute times to Penn Station from South Orange and Metuchen? Moving from Jersey City to one of these towns and the real time spent commuting matters as it means less family time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 01:58 PM

538 posts, read 732,925 times
My 8:05 train from South Orange is constantly almost 10 minutes late. Most people that take it consider arriving by 8:45 (instead of 8:38) as 'on time'. My wife takes earlier trains and they're usually on time.

On the way out sometimes trains are a little late to leave Penn, but I'd say anything over 5 minutes is rare. And it doesn't always affect the arrival time in SO.

Now, that's when things are 'normal'. The first two weeks this year were very bad weeks. This week has hasn't been perfect, but it's closer to normal.

As far as M&E vs NEC. I'm not sure I'm under the impression that there's a huge difference in chance of problems from one to the other - as the main problem is Penn Station. The biggest difference is that M&E trains can be diverted to Hoboken if the right sort of problem occurs whereas I don't think NEC has that option. NEC is shared with Amtrak trains, but I don't know what difference that makes. That's not too big of a difference currently, but if there's a bigger problem with the tunnels down the being able to get to Hoboken more easily could be a big plus.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:00 PM

482 posts, read 728,776 times
We were a bit annoyed that the schedule was not as advertised, as we cross shopped Westchester. The MetroNorth is almost always on time. NJ Transit Montclair line is 7-10 minutes late normally.

We couldnt afford towns in Westchester with a 40 minute direct train. Homes with a 50 min train were like 200k cheaper AND had more land, and we could have swung it, but didnt want a 50 minute train. So we bought in NJ with a 40 minute direct train (on paper), which turned out to be a 50 min train. I almost feel bamboozled by NJTransit.

What makes things even crazier is that a 40 minute train (50 in reality) covers only 15 miles of distance in NJ. A 50 minute train in Westchester covers more than twice the distance in the same amount of time. Pretty mind boggling. Its like a horse and buggy versus a car.

Last edited by JaRuss01; 01-18-2018 at 04:13 PM..

Old 01-19-2018, 07:41 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRuss01 View Post
We were a bit annoyed that the schedule was not as advertised, as we cross shopped Westchester. The MetroNorth is almost always on time. NJ Transit Montclair line is 7-10 minutes late normally.

We couldnt afford towns in Westchester with a 40 minute direct train. Homes with a 50 min train were like 200k cheaper AND had more land, and we could have swung it, but didnt want a 50 minute train. So we bought in NJ with a 40 minute direct train (on paper), which turned out to be a 50 min train. I almost feel bamboozled by NJTransit.

What makes things even crazier is that a 40 minute train (50 in reality) covers only 15 miles of distance in NJ. A 50 minute train in Westchester covers more than twice the distance in the same amount of time. Pretty mind boggling. Its like a horse and buggy versus a car.

Stop being so silly. Your particular experience does not translate into a statement on the entire system or the state of New Jersey. I don't know what the problem is with YOUR train line, but my train ride is just short of 40 miles and the trip takes about 55 minutes, including all stops.

Before I moved to Monmouth County, I lived in Bergen County, and the approximately 30-mile train ride took 35 or 40 minutes, depending upon whether it was local or express.

In both cases, the trains were, and still are, on schedule the majority of the time.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:48 PM

52 posts, read 49,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Stop being so silly. Your particular experience does not translate into a statement on the entire system or the state of New Jersey. I don't know what the problem is with YOUR train line, but my train ride is just short of 40 miles and the trip takes about 55 minutes, including all stops.

Before I moved to Monmouth County, I lived in Bergen County, and the approximately 30-mile train ride took 35 or 40 minutes, depending upon whether it was local or express.

In both cases, the trains were, and still are, on schedule the majority of the time.
NJ Transit trains canceled, delayed (again) Thursday | NJ.com

NJ Transit back on schedule after overhead wire problems caused delays in and out of Penn Station New York | abc7ny.com

Residual NJ TRANSIT Delays Following Amtrak Overhead Wire Problems « CBS New York

Old 01-19-2018, 01:07 PM

Thank you for proving my point. You found three articles about the same delay problem with Amtrak's overhead wires on the same date, January 11.

I actually take the trains three times a week and have used the trains for almost four decades, and so I know that my statement that the NJ Transit trains are on time the majority of the time is factual.

It sucks when there is a delay, but it's not been a secret for years now that there are particularly problems with the trains that go in and out of NY Penn due to the need to replace the tunnels and the power system.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-19-2018 at 01:31 PM..

Old 01-19-2018, 01:20 PM

16 posts, read 32,778 times
This is great input and I appreciate hearing these personal experiences. I have to admit that this article on Bloomberg really gave me pause: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...aginably-worse

So it sounds like an average of 40 minutes from South Orange is typical? One benefit I can see to South Orange is that if NJT ever really gets FUBAR, the PATH is a short car ride away in Newark. Having been in NYC during the black out and 9/11 I like to have options for getting out of the city and back home.

JaRuss01 I know what you mean... I took Metro North for years when I lived north of the city and still take it occasionally to visit friends and it is always on time and so fast. Plus there is no comparison between GCT and Penn Station. I guess that's part of what makes the real estate prices there so untouchable.

Mightyqueen801 what train line are you on? Is it the North Jersey Coast Line? It does seem like the NEC and M&E are the most frequently delayed. But I could be wrong.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:20 PM

482 posts, read 728,776 times
Quote:

How is that silly? I take the Montclair Boonton line with 1000s of ppl a day. The train is typically up to 10 minutes late, normally. 10 minutes of additional time on the train does equate to significant change on home value in places such as Westchester, which BTW, has service you could practically set your watch to. The NJ service is not as advertised, which could be quite deceiving when ppl are pricing out different commuter towns around NYC.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:28 PM

123 posts, read 181,213 times
Quote:
I actually take the trains three times a week and have used the trains for almost four decades, and so I know that my statement that the NJ Transit trains are on time the majority of the time is factual.
Your particular experience does not translate into a statement on the entire system or the state of New Jersey.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRuss01 View Post
How is that silly? I take the Montclair Boonton line with 1000s of ppl a day. The train is typically up to 10 minutes late, normally. 10 minutes of additional time on the train does equate to significant change on home value in places such as Westchester, which BTW, has service you could practically set your watch to. The NJ service is not as advertised, which could be quite deceiving when ppl are pricing out different commuter towns around NYC.
Are you just not reading what I wrote?

I understand you are having a problem WITH YOUR ONE PARTICULAR TRAIN LINE. My point was that you cannot take your PARTICULAR, SPECIFIC SITUATION and declare that the same applies the entire NJ Transit train system or the state of New Jersey. It simply is not true.

I am telling you I take the NJCL, and I took the Bergen/Main line for decades, and most of the time the trains are on schedule.

BTW, I took the Boonton line back in the late 80s for a while. The train station I used no longer exists, but I do remember there being a lot of delays on that line then, too, but that was before they did that Montclair Connection thing and renamed it the Montclair-Boonton Line. I am not sure what the specific problem is with your line. I think the NEC has a higher than average rate of delays, too, but that might be because of Amtrak.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-19-2018 at 01:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey