Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:07 AM

56 posts, read 209,793 times

Advertisements

I have been checking the threads to get some information on Orange, NJ.

I recognize that it is a town of over 34,000 within 2.2 square miles, bordering West Orange, South Orange, East Orange and Montclair.

I know the racial makeup of the town and I know there have been some issues with the political leadership, crime and the schools but I would like to hear from people who live there, live or work nearby or grew up there.

I see pockets of development near the train line, I know Seven Oaks is very nice neighborhood but what else can anyone tell me about the town?

Thanks,

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 12:02 PM

12 posts, read 65,584 times
What was once a thriving vibrant town leading up to the Newark riots has since been over run by crime, drugs, gangs and in essence has become a sanctuary city for illegal's.
Orange is the perfect example of "white flight" and only has fond memories for those that once lived in town when you could leave your door open, have block parties with neighbors, and not have to concern yourself with putting bars on windows and doors. It is an absolute shame. Italians, Irish, Germans and Jews from many different European nations were able to live in harmony and prosper together. Now look at the town!!

Old 04-02-2008, 02:25 PM

253 posts, read 1,266,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crpat View Post
What was once a thriving vibrant town leading up to the Newark riots has since been over run by crime, drugs, gangs and in essence has become a sanctuary city for illegal's.
Orange is the perfect example of "white flight" and only has fond memories for those that once lived in town when you could leave your door open, have block parties with neighbors, and not have to concern yourself with putting bars on windows and doors. It is an absolute shame. Italians, Irish, Germans and Jews from many different European nations were able to live in harmony and prosper together. Now look at the town!!

Oh my goodness. What is this crap?

So once again we should feel sorry for the poor lil Italians, Irish, Germans and Jews from many different European nations because a black, hispanic or mexican moved into the town and you all had to run away? There goes the neighborhood.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:28 PM

328 posts, read 1,196,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crpat View Post
This is the same story for many communities in this state. My parents tell me what a wonderful safe place Newark was back in the 40's. Look at it now.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:03 PM

4 posts, read 17,756 times
Default Thanks for speaking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl-973-908-732 View Post
Oh my goodness. What is this crap?

So once again we should feel sorry for the poor lil Italians, Irish, Germans and Jews from many different European nations because a black, hispanic or mexican moved into the town and you all had to run away? There goes the neighborhood.
People are so freaking ignorant. I'm sick & tired of WHITE america bashing black cities & towns like Orange. People just don't know how much crime that goes on in Livingston, Westfield etc. and what those WHITE areas tried to hide that you don't read in the paper.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:05 PM

4 posts, read 17,756 times
Default Oppression

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlGuy View Post
This is the same story for many communities in this state. My parents tell me what a wonderful safe place Newark was back in the 40's. Look at it now.
This iwhat happens when you oppress people they get fed up and take it out in the communities.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:24 PM

There were some comments I read about East Orange making efforts to come back and I was wondering what Orange was up to. They are two completely different municipalities but as someone who does not live in either I was hoping to find out if someone could speak to the state of the community in the last 5 years or so.

BTW, I looked at some crime stats on Orange and what was reported was more than say Maplewood or South Orange but much less than East Orange or Newark, so I can see differences. IMO, a large non-white population does not make a town bad...

Old 04-02-2008, 03:29 PM

328 posts, read 1,196,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignorance View Post
This iwhat happens when you oppress people they get fed up and take it out in the communities.
Your screen name fits. Ignorant.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 AM

So I guess Orange is okay as long as I buy a house in Seven Oaks and send my children to private school...

Old 04-03-2008, 09:49 AM

253 posts, read 1,266,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS43 View Post
IMO, a large non-white population does not make a town bad...
I know. Gloucester City in South Jersey, Gloucester City,Brooklawn to name a few are very, very "white" towns and are the scariest places I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey