Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,761 times

Advertisements

I work in Manhattan and live in Red Bank. We are selling our home to move out of state for a work opportunity. Realtors have told us that we could expect people from NYC (Brooklyn) or areas like Hoboken or JC to be potential buyers of our home since we are walkable to downtown Red Bank.

Thus far I haven’t seen that. And having worked in Manhattan for many years I don’t really recall hearing anyone talk about moving from Brooklyn to Red Bank. The people I know that have moved to Monmouth County tend to go to places like Holmdel, Middletown, Hazlet etc. I don’t get why people would move from a walkable NYC neighborhood to smaller version of the same thing in NJ. Don’t people move for move land and open spaces?

My question is do you know of people who have moved from a walkable NYC neighborhood to one with a longer commute in NJ? Red Bank or even Westfield, Freehold or Summit for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 08:47 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,923 times
Red Bank is a bit of a leap, but we moved to Cranford because it's walkable and we don't need more than one car for the house. We like still being able to walk to the movie theatre or go down the street for dinner. Walking into the center of town for ice cream on a summer night and have the kids just run around with a bunch of other kids around the clock in town is great, as is the local coffee shop where they recognize you.

It's more about a lot of the same things you get in New York but without the insane issues with schools or how rent kept going up. We couldn't afford to buy our apartment in Manhattan but we can certainly afford to buy further out. But walkable is certainly a huge part of why we're here, our kid can walk home from school and then go into town with friends without us having to drive them around everywhere.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:26 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
the problem with red bank is that you lack the good schools for the kids. my brother moved from hoboken to fair haven. its not likely that he or someone like him is going to actually move into red bank. im sure there are some that will but its not the standard move out from nyc/hoboken out to central nj.

i dont think they are really walking anywhere even in fair haven anyway. i tried to get him to move to holmdel, i still think he may. he cant stay where he is for too long. too small of a house.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:05 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
A lot of people leaving NYC want walkable towns. Some coworkers of mine moved to NJ because they could get two or three bedrooms and a decent school for what a studio costs in the city, and didn't really want a big yard to maintain or to have to drive everywhere.

I think there are a few walkable towns in Central Jersey that are on ex-NYCers' lists, but I'm not sure Red Bank is really one of them. It's pretty darn far from the city if one needs to commute every day. There are other options closer.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:10 PM

538 posts, read 732,690 times
I think Red Bank is a little further out than most of the people that had been living in the city are looking to be. That's a 80 minute train ride when most people would be looking for a 30-40 minute train ride. That long of a train ride makes it a whole different market.

People coming from the city want a certain amount of density in the center of a town. Where they can conceivably park and walk from place to place. I'm not sure how important it is to be actually able to easily walk to that town center, being a few minutes drive seems to work from what I can tell.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:49 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,725,315 times
rather live closer to the beach

Old 09-17-2018, 09:20 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,771,444 times
My view is usually
Manhattan -> walkable -> burbs

I would think people from Manhattan would be more likely move to Redbank than someone from Hoboken. People without kids that plan to have one soon who thinks that schools really do not matter right now

Old 09-17-2018, 09:23 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,571,815 times
Pretty soon, NJ won't be cheaper than NYC.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:00 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromdowntheshore View Post
I work in Manhattan and live in Red Bank. We are selling our home to move out of state for a work opportunity. Realtors have told us that we could expect people from NYC (Brooklyn) or areas like Hoboken or JC to be potential buyers of our home since we are walkable to downtown Red Bank.

Thus far I haven’t seen that. And having worked in Manhattan for many years I don’t really recall hearing anyone talk about moving from Brooklyn to Red Bank. The people I know that have moved to Monmouth County tend to go to places like Holmdel, Middletown, Hazlet etc. I don’t get why people would move from a walkable NYC neighborhood to smaller version of the same thing in NJ. Don’t people move for move land and open spaces?

My question is do you know of people who have moved from a walkable NYC neighborhood to one with a longer commute in NJ? Red Bank or even Westfield, Freehold or Summit for example.
Yes, to Summit,Millburn/Short Hills and to Chatham. One couple from Brooklyn but two different couples from Manhattan.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:49 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Default Do NYC’ers really move to Central NJ’s walkable towns, or do they go straight to the burbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromdowntheshore View Post

I am kind of surprised that you and one or two other people mentioned walkability as such an important factor. Don't get me wrong, I think walkability and having a nice little local downtown is nice but I think there are more important factors when moving to the suburbs for most people.

For instance:
- how good the school district is
- size, age and cost of the house
- safety of the community
- train station and service
- how long it will take to get to work

There are of course other factors, some people want good road access, some people want to be near the shore or at least a lot of parks, others want more quiet areas.

This last thing is something that more experienced suburbanites learn. People coming out from the city for the first time think that all the suburbs are equally quiet for instance, but the reality is quite different. Experienced suburbanites learn that some areas are very noisy. In other areas, the local roads are clogged all day because they are inadequate for the traffic. There is great variation from one suburban area to another.

So don't get me wrong, I like a walkable downtown, which often goes in hand with a train station, but I think there are more important priorities as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey