Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:22 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl-973-908-732 View Post
I just got a Direct Message stating that my last comment wasn't nice and a reference was made to this article:

A new report by the Justice Policy Institute confirms that anti-gang legislation that advocates locking up gang members, charging them with status crimes and charging more juveniles as adults doesn't work (broken link). In fact, it adds to the gang problem.
Mass arrests, stiff prison sentences often served with other gang members and other strategies that focus on law enforcement rather than intervention actually strengthen gang ties and further marginalize angry young men, according to the Justice Policy Institute, a Washington, D.C., think tank that advocates alternatives to incarceration.
"We're talking about 12-, 13-, 14-, 15-year-olds whose involvement in gangs is likely to be ephemeral unless they are pulled off the street and put in prison, where they will come out with much stronger gang allegiances," said Judith Greene, co-author of "Gang Wars: The Failure of Enforcement Tactics and the Need for Effective Public Safety Strategies."

So I apologize. Don't lock up the gang members. I was so wrong. They need help, encouragement and mentors.

Well geez did they offer any suggestion on what we are supposed to do with them??? Let them run rampant on the streets terrorizing & intimidating people

Somebody actually DM you to tell you your comment wasn't nice???
That's what you usually do to criminals ...lock em up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Not the first time, believe it or not. One was picked up in Canada during a gang raid - Alligators are sometimes used as their symbol/mascot.

To bad the alligator didn't dine on them...

Old 04-04-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
Well, it is true that gangs are strongest within the prison system. The prison system sustains them, builds bonds in a way the outside can not.

I'm not saying people who break the law shouldn't go to prison. But maybe they shouldn't all be locked up together. Split 'em up. Send some of our Clinton Posse boys out to a prison in LA, some to upstate NY and a few to Gitmo

True....I've read on occasion East Jersey is in lokdown because of the gangs...yeah prisoner exchange we take some from out of state and in return send some out....geez...Angola in Louisiana sounds like a nice place to send some of these thugs

Old 04-04-2008, 01:29 PM

531 posts, read 2,150,445 times
And what's with the racial segregation in prisons? We're afraid they'll kill each other? Why is that such a bad thing?

Mix the races up, prevent race-based gangs from forming in the first place. If some of them kill each other, so be it. Inshallah, as our enemies would say

Old 04-04-2008, 02:57 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times
Quote:
I just got a Direct Message stating that my last comment wasn't nice and a reference was made to this article:

A new report by the Justice Policy Institute
that group has no credibility

Old 04-04-2008, 03:52 PM

786 posts, read 2,664,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
Inshallah, as our enemies would say
Our "enemies" say "God willing" or "If it is God's will"?

I would hazard a guess a lot of the USA's enemies say "f** the USA" more than that...

Old 04-04-2008, 06:36 PM

253 posts, read 1,267,118 times
Well, I really wouldn't want to see a 12 year old behind bars. I do agree with that much. How does a 12 year old (what is that 8th grade) get involved in a gang?

Old 04-04-2008, 07:33 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Quote:
Well, I really wouldn't want to see a 12 year old behind bars. I do agree with that much. How does a 12 year old (what is that 8th grade) get involved in a gang?
By having friends and family in a gang, by seeing how easy it is for gang members to get money and respect on the street, because dealers know the 12yr olds caught with drugs get lesser charges - making them good couriers, etc.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:39 PM

562 posts, read 2,615,569 times
lock them up for good or at least make them pay eye for eye.. ie. if they kill somebody, kill them.. if they beat someone up, let that someone beat them up.. if they destroy a family, destroy their family.. maybe I'm too drastic, but this gang stuff has to stop..

Old 04-27-2008, 12:18 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,651 times
Default girl-973-908-732 gangs in Plainfield

How does a 12 year-old gets involved in a gang? LACK OF PARENTAL LOVE, GUIDANCE, DISCIPLINE. The gang becomes the family he/she does not have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey