Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 01:33 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Not sure what you mean by upper. The towns in that area are easy for midtown commutes. The buses go right to Port Authority.
What I meant by "upper" is that the George Washington Bridge, one end of which is in Fort Lee, takes you to northern, or upper, Manhattan. Most business destinations are not located there.

Yes, you can take a bus from Fort Lee to the PABT, too.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:33 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Ask Tom Snyder. He used to talk about it all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 02:43 PM

173 posts, read 216,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Overall, with no rail service Fort Lee commute to Manhattan is difficult and inconsistent...
I think the answer is a little more fact-specific than that. It really depends on where in Manhattan, and maybe even what work hours look like. The fort lee commute to WTC would be significantly better then, for example, the fair lawn commute to WTC, even though the latter has rail service. In fact, it's better than even the Montclair commute to WTC.

I do agree that trains are more consistent than buses.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:59 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What I meant by "upper" is that the George Washington Bridge, one end of which is in Fort Lee, takes you to northern, or upper, Manhattan. Most business destinations are not located there.

Yes, you can take a bus from Fort Lee to the PABT, too.
But the buses don't take you to that part of Manhattan generally speaking

Just wanted to clarify because those towns (southern Bergen County) get short shrift on here. They're great towns for a midtown commute.

Last edited by bookspage; 01-05-2019 at 08:18 AM..

Old 01-05-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
So the best case scenario on the free to downtown is 38 minutes just to get downtown. If the OP needs to walk & take a subway to where he works then the commute could take up to an hour.

OP really needs to provide more information about where in Manhattan he works and what time his commute is. "Commute to Manhattan" is a meaningless question. The exact location in Manhattan makes a huge difference.

GWB is always congested during rush hour. So it can take 30 -50 minutes just to get to the GWB bus terminal. And from there the OP will have to travel to his work. But is he can take the bus between 6:30 and 7:00 am then he will probably be OK. Of course then he would have to leave before 4:00 pm to avoid rush hour traffic.

Overall, with no rail service Fort Lee commute to Manhattan is difficult and inconsistent...
Do you have any familiarity with the commute in those towns in that area at all? Apparently not

You can take a bus from those towns (Ft. Lee, Leonia, Teaneck etc) and be right in Port Authority in 30-40 min.

And they don't take the GWB

Last edited by bookspage; 01-05-2019 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-05-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
But the NJ Transit buses don't take you to that part of Manhattan generally speaking

Just wanted to clarify because those towns (southern Bergen County) get short shrift on here. They're great towns for a midtown commute.
OK. I know how horrible the traffic is, so I just picture sitting on River Road in traffic on a bus, but I've never taken NJ Transit from Fort Lee, so I really don't know. 30-40 would not be a bad commute..

As for the bridge, for a while I had to drive several times a week from where I live in Monmouth County to LaGuardia for meetings, 66 miles each way, and I knew that I had to be at the GWB before 7, or I was sunk.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK. I know how horrible the traffic is, so I just picture sitting on River Road in traffic on a bus, but I've never taken NJ Transit from Fort Lee, so I really don't know. 30-40 would not be a bad commute..

As for the bridge, for a while I had to drive several times a week from where I live in Monmouth County to LaGuardia for meetings, 66 miles each way, and I knew that I had to be at the GWB before 7, or I was sunk.
Yeah, they all zoom down the Turnpike to the Lincoln Tunnel. It's a great place to live for a midtown commute. There are some Coach buses that run too that are also easy

Old 01-05-2019, 08:43 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Buses from Ft Lee don’t run to the GWB bus terminal anymore?

Old 01-05-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Buses from Ft Lee don’t run to the GWB bus terminal anymore?
Yes, they do, but the other poster was pointing out that they do have NJ Transit bus service to the PABT, as well.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:42 AM

215 posts, read 200,540 times
unfortunately, it has the highest air contamination rate in the nation, but the parks are great, as is a walk across the bridge. i love it and that doesn't bother me. just take spirulina tablets from some health food store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey