Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 06:15 AM

19,145 posts, read 25,364,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The main issue is that no amount of gun laws can protect us from psychopaths. I don't know how people still don't realize this. Just as all the drug laws over the last 30-40 years have done nothing to curb the use and sale of illegal drugs. Laws around alcohol do not protect us from being killed by idiots who drink and drive. People are so focused on laws all the time without realizing they have no effect on people who will willingly or unwillingly do harm. And before anyone asks, no I do not have the solution. I only see that the present course of finding a solution through more laws is not going to work.
It appears that your criterion for enacting a law is that it must be 100% effective, and that it shouldn't exist unless it is 100% effective. If we were to apply your standard, we would have no laws, and anarchy would be the result.
Think about it...

Last edited by Retriever; 06-16-2019 at 06:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 06:49 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,156,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
It appears that your criterion for enacting a law is that it must be 100% effective, and that it shouldn't exist unless it is 100% effective. If we were to apply your standard, we would have no laws, and anarchy would be the result.
Think about it...
Really? Anarchy? That was your takeaway from my post? It might be time for you to shut down the computer and have another cup of coffee. You may then notice that I said *more laws* is not the answer. But I think you knew that and were just looking to argue

Old 06-16-2019, 06:58 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,156,100 times
Last night I watched a very interesting episode of "48 Hours" on CBS. It was very fitting to this discussion. It was about a teenager in California that murdered an elderly couple. The teenager was medically deemed to be a psychopath by doctors and was sentenced to life in prison. However, apparently the governor of California recently signed a new bill that would not allow a judge to try any teenager as an adult, under any circumstance. This means that if a teenager (or younger) commits murder they will be out of jail by the time they are 24. So there you go. You can thank your politicians.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:02 AM

465 posts, read 608,231 times
The DA’s Office said there will be more info. released at the court hearing Wednesday. Little official info. has been released so far so we shouldn’t speculate too much but it sounds like this was more about this nut case going after his ex gf teacher than it was about the students or the school. This certainly wasn’t about Westfield. Nuts turn up everywhere; in this case he came here from Delaware.

I’ve never had to call the police in all my time in Westfield. But when the police get called, wow do they come fast compared to living in a big city. Westfield residents should be super appreciative of their work in this case and that the guy’s brother did the right thing and contacted the authorities in the first place at the sign of trouble.

I came here because it’s a great town, great schools, great sports and low crime. Westfield will always be those things and this once-in-a-generation blip is nothing more than a blip. The John List case was the last generation’s. This nut job belongs to this generation. Westfield is so quaint and sleepy we’ll be back to following made-up stories of crime that never happened - you know like the fictional Westfield Watcher.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:24 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,735,504 times
did this guy even commit a crime? what makes him a "gunman"?

Old 06-16-2019, 11:18 AM

19,145 posts, read 25,364,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I said *more laws* is not the answer.
New Federal legislation mandating a Universal Background Check for all gun purchases would not help at all?
New laws banning the loosey-goosey sale of guns--to essentially anyone--at gun shows would not help at all?
Really?

As Edmund Burke wrote, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing".

Old 06-17-2019, 10:06 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,734,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
This is more like the movie Minority Report. Where the guy gets arrested before he was about to commit a crime. He's already broke the law carrying and transporting the guns and ammunition but to slap him with other crap it needs more evidence.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
He's already broke the law carrying and transporting the guns and ammunition but to slap him with other crap it needs more evidence.
and those laws are a direct violation of our 2nd amendment rights.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:35 AM
46H

1,654 posts, read 1,404,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
This is from the patch article:

"Thomas J. Wilkie of Bear, Del. has been charged with second-degree unlawful possession of a weapon, fourth-degree possession of hollow-point bullets, and fourth-degree trespassing on school grounds, according to acting Union County Prosecutor Jennifer Davenport. Arriving officers located Wilkie in the front seat of his vehicle, a 2019 Mitsubishi SUV, parked in the school's parking lot. He was holding a .45-caliber handgun loaded with hollow-point bullets, authorities said."

He was arrested sitting in his truck holding the handgun. I doubt he had a NJ permit to carry a handgun. Carry permits are almost impossible to get in NJ. The hollow point charges were referenced earlier in this thread.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
He was arrested sitting in his truck holding the handgun. I doubt he had a NJ permit to carry a handgun. Carry permits are almost impossible to get in NJ. The hollow point charges were referenced earlier in this thread.
in many states, this is a legal action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey