Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 07:49 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
No, morality has nothing to do with laws.
but it has something to do with your opinions right? ive been here before. people have a hard time supporting their position so they crawl into an argument based on legality that nobody is having. i get it, he broke laws in nj. but these are laws that dont make sense so they have no bearing on my opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 08:02 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you are aware that a law doesnt stop anyone who wants to shoot children from bringing a gun onto school grounds right? im pretty sure that if someone wants to shoot children they arent worried about breaking a law against bringing guns onto school grounds.
Obviously. The law doesn't stop a lot of people from committing crimes anyway. That's a stupid question. Should murder not be illegal since people commit it anyway? Rape? Robbery?

It's also not at all the point or what I asked. So because some people may take a gun on school grounds anyway, it shouldn't be illegal? I mean, they caught this guy, and who knows what he would have done if he wasn't caught. Should there not be a law against having a gun on school grounds? Should people legally be able to bring a gun onto school property, when the kids are there or it's official school time? Does it sound like a stupid law to you or does it make sense? It makes sense to me. Even not considering mass shootings, I see no need at all for a regular citizen to have possession of a gun when at a school, surrounded by kids.

The state has police powers. It can take steps to ensure safety and to try to avoid tragedy or accidents that didn't have to happen.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:59 AM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Obviously. The law doesn't stop a lot of people from committing crimes anyway. That's a stupid question. Should murder not be illegal since people commit it anyway? Rape? Robbery?

It's also not at all the point or what I asked. So because some people may take a gun on school grounds anyway, it shouldn't be illegal? I mean, they caught this guy, and who knows what he would have done if he wasn't caught. Should there not be a law against having a gun on school grounds? Should people legally be able to bring a gun onto school property, when the kids are there or it's official school time? Does it sound like a stupid law to you or does it make sense? It makes sense to me. Even not considering mass shootings, I see no need at all for a regular citizen to have possession of a gun when at a school, surrounded by kids.

The state has police powers. It can take steps to ensure safety and to try to avoid tragedy or accidents that didn't have to happen.
Crystal ball stuff doesn't work. Anything with "maybe, might, could" are those types of laws. Any gun law is easily circumvented by anyone with even a low IQ. At best it creates tack on charges to someone after they are already caught for an existing law and here in CA they are giving the target audience extra leniency based on their race or income level. So why have those laws in the first place.

You see no need. What if I am a gun owner that lives next to a school. By default I'm not supposed to have a gun ever. Stupid stupid law.

I hunt. So if I want to pick up my kids to take with me I have to load all my stuff then go get my son, then drive all the way back across rush hour traffic to get our firearms. All to go do something legal to do.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

there is a very big difference between laws against murder/rape/etc. and a law against someone having a gun somewhere. in the first group, there is a victim and in the second there is no victim. nobody has been harmed.

so if you agree that this law doesnt prevent anyone from harming children, then what is the point? we have a right to defend ourselves using firearms. you cant do that if you dont have a gun. the guy wasnt even in the school with the gun.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:59 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
there is a very big difference between laws against murder/rape/etc. and a law against someone having a gun somewhere. in the first group, there is a victim and in the second there is no victim. nobody has been harmed.

so if you agree that this law doesnt prevent anyone from harming children, then what is the point? we have a right to defend ourselves using firearms. you cant do that if you dont have a gun. the guy wasnt even in the school with the gun.
I think this has more to do with the state of our society than anything else. If you were to even utter the word "gun" in or near a school you would probably be, at the very least, reported to and questioned by the authorities. I went to high school back in the early 90's. There were a few incidents where students tied to drugs and/or gangs were caught with a gun at school. At the time I don't even think that made the news. Times have obviously changed.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:58 PM

144 posts, read 324,603 times
>> the guy wasnt even in the school with the gun.

He went there to kill his ex-girlfriend who worked at the school. He left his gun in the car and went in to recon. When he was unable to find her, he returned to his car and called his ex who said she was currently at a tutoring appointment but would return to the school. Acting on a tip from DE police (who were tipped off by the man's brother), NJ police arrested him while he was lying in wait for her in the school parking lot. https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...511298912.html

We have motive, unlawful possession of ammo and arms, but (thankfully) no action.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:01 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somesnapper View Post

He went there to kill his ex-girlfriend who worked at the school. He left his gun in the car and went in to recon. When he was unable to find her, he returned to his car and called his ex who said she was currently at a tutoring appointment but would return to the school. Acting on a tip from DE police (who were tipped off by the man's brother), NJ police arrested him while he was lying in wait for her in the school parking lot. https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...511298912.html

We have motive, unlawful possession of ammo and arms, but (thankfully) no action.
He may have legally owned the gun and ammunition in Delaware, but he made a huge mistake when he took them to New Jersey.

You have to be crazy or stupid to do that.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:

im not enough of a legal expert to know what crime was committed here except in nj he broke some gun laws that shouldnt even exist.

when planning to kill someone turns into a crime; i really dont know when that happens. id imagine people plan to do bad things all the time and mostly dont do them. so if you are able to prosecute these "pre crimes" you would prosecute many more people than there would have been actual crimes.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:16 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
Quote:
im not enough of a legal expert
Then you should have stopped there.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Then you should have stopped there.
and what is your legal expertise? this is the dumbest post i have seen. so its ok for people who dont know what crime the guy is guilty of to call for locking him up but its not ok for someone else to question that logic?

why are you commenting here if you arent a legal expert (i guess you must be right?)

is this guys post ok:

Quote:

We have motive

have a motive for what? is motive a crime? what is motive if you dont carry out an action against anyone? this guy doesnt sound like a legal expert either but thats ok with you because you dont disagree with what he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey