Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 12:06 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
New York City is neither Edmonton nor Milwaukee, there's an awful lot for families already, I don't see tourists making it out of the city mostly because I don't see a lot of tourists taking the time to travel to New York and take in the Cyclone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I seriously doubt that many NYC families will go to NJ mall especially since there isn't going to be a train service. Not everyone has cars in NYC. And if they do come, they would probably come for entertainment, not shopping. NYC has plenty of stores, no need to go to NJ...
I'm not sure about NYC residents specifically, but on the weekends there's oceans of NY state plates in Jersey Gardens and the likes of Livingston. I'd imagine the American Dream would siphon off some of that since it'd be more accessible for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
Well all you have to do is check out the parking lots in malls on weekend and look at where the cars are coming from to know that it is happening already...
^This.

Also, being stationed around the country made me realize some things about NJ. Notably, how malls here seem to survive despite being within 20-30 miles of each other. I'm talking full blown big-box malls, not just outdoor strip-style which can go just about anywhere. Woodbridge-Menlo, Livingston-Short Hills, Newport-Jersey Gardens and so on.

Last edited by 66nexus; 09-18-2019 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: added quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 12:10 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I can't speak the NYC itself, but on the weekends there's oceans of NY state plates in Jersey Gardens and the likes of Livingston. I'd imagine the American Dream would siphon off some of that since it'd be more accessible for some.

Being stationed around the country made me realize some things about NJ. Notably, how malls here seem to survive despite being within 20-30 miles of each other. I'm talking full blown big-box malls, not just outdoor strip-style which can go just about anywhere. Woodbridge-Menlo, Livingston-Short Hills, Newport-Jersey Gardens and so on.
Isn't a lot of that probably Staten Island and lower Brooklyn though? American Dream will still be further for them. The only ones that will be closer are Manhattan and maybe parts of Queens, but they don't drive. Westchester and north would not drive all the way to East Rutherford for shopping.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:26 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Isn't a lot of that probably Staten Island and lower Brooklyn though? American Dream will still be further for them. The only ones that will be closer are Manhattan and maybe parts of Queens, but they don't drive. Westchester and north would not drive all the way to East Rutherford for shopping.
Sure it's possible, but they still find a way to get as far out as Livingston and others too (which isn't much further away as the crow flies as ER). And that's just for NYC alone. NJ itself has a sizable wealthy population that most likely will go.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:41 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Again, what ghetto towns are you referring to and have you ever even been to Newport in the last year or so?
im not a ghetto town expert (since i avoid them by staying in known non-ghetto towns) but i think newark is an issue.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:42 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Nobody is going there from out of state exclusively for the shopping. The entertainment will get them there and they’ll do some shopping while there. NYC has a bunch of bars and restaurants but no real year round entertainment for families other than some boring museums. They spent about $2 billion developing this thing, I’m sure they did their research.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Nobody is going there from out of state exclusively for the shopping. The entertainment will get them there and they’ll do some shopping while there. NYC has a bunch of bars and restaurants but no real year round entertainment for families other than some boring museums. They spent about $2 billion developing this thing, I’m sure they did their research.
im sure they will make tons of money. people are dying for places to go for entertainment and entertaining their kids.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:45 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not a ghetto town expert (since i avoid them by staying in known non-ghetto towns) but i think newark is an issue.

Newark is a good 12 miles from this thing. Even people who live in “non-ghetto towns” are likely within 12 miles of a ghetto town and don’t experience issues.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Newark is a good 12 miles from this thing. Even people who live in “non-ghetto towns” are likely within 12 miles of a ghetto town and don’t experience issues.
but this is an entertainment destination that will attract a lot of visitors.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:10 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
I just checked.

Google Maps directions say Newark-Meadowlands Sports Complex is 21 minutes and 10.4 miles. Directions for Newark start in downtown Newark, so southern and western sections of Newark are even further away.

Directions from Newark-The Mall at Short Hills is 21 minutes and 13.2 miles. With directions for Newark starting downtown, that means southern and west sections of Newark are actually even closer to Short Hills. Upper Clinton Hill is only 15 minutes away and 9.6 miles.

So I'm still at a total loss as to what these ghetto towns surrounding the Meadowlands are that will destroy it when we're all on board with accepting the fact that Short Hills mall has not been destroyed by Newark's presence only a 20 minutes drive away.

The only one I can even think of is Passaic. But that's one. Meanwhile, every other place nearby is either actually really nice, pretty nice, or just working-class immigrant-heavy like Union City/West New York/North Bergen. Again, they're not ghetto, unless you guys just assume that any city with not enough white people in it is automatically ghetto.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:17 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
Quote:
I’m sure they did their research.
If the numbers were there it wouldn't have laid dormant for so long, investors would have been pulling out their checkbooks. At this point it's investors who are taking whatever tax breaks they can, in this case 400 million of them, and trying to break even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey