Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 10:40 AM

5,070 posts, read 2,279,232 times

Advertisements

My husband’s birthday is coming up, and I was thinking about trying to find a way for him to be able to watch football games as a gift. We don’t have cable. We used to have Fios, but Verizon kept raising prices. We cancelled, and hubby doesn’t want any cable at all. We do have a smart TV, and have watched some of the Amazon Prime programs.

I’m not a big TV watcher, and am a bit of a Luddite when it comes to electronics, so could use some help figuring out if there’s a way to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 10:53 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Most NFL games air for free on over-the-air TV. I don't have cable either, so I have an antenna plugged into my TV. The NFL airs Sunday games on CBS, Fox, and NBC...all of which are free with an antenna. The Monday night games are on ESPN, which you can't get unless you have a pay service such as Sling TV or Youtube TV. The are also some Thursday night games, most of which I believe are available through Amazon Prime.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:56 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
First question is where do you live. I'm amazed at how many people in general totally forgot that real,,,, as in REAL,,, TV is FREE and your not supposed to pay anything for it.

The only legitimate TV in my book is over the air free TV anyway, but hey the other channels can all pay me to watch, or just pay me anyway,,,

You can get an idea by looking at several websites such as tvfool.com and others

Old 09-09-2019, 11:03 AM

967 posts, read 726,396 times
Yep, get an HD antenna. Network games will be free, as everyone has mentioned.

An unintentional benefit is that picture quality will actually be better, as the cable companies use compression algorithms that introduce imperfections. I don't have an antenna, but am always amazed at how much better the picture quality is when I stream via Apple TV rather than through my FIOS box. Like night and day, at least on a 4K TV. And source resolution is (theoretically) the same.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:24 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,063,818 times
I imagine that the OP is interested in watching the out-of-market games...

In that case, DirecTV is the only "legit" means of watching those, though I hear that there are "pirate" streams linked on Reddit weekly...

Old 09-09-2019, 12:50 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
First question is where do you live. I'm amazed at how many people in general totally forgot that real,,,, as in REAL,,, TV is FREE and your not supposed to pay anything for it.

The only legitimate TV in my book is over the air free TV anyway, but hey the other channels can all pay me to watch, or just pay me anyway,,,

You can get an idea by looking at several websites such as tvfool.com and others
We live in Berkeley Heights. We have an antenna, but it can only get 39 channels, and none of them are the major networks. Hubby was watching Sumo wrestling on the Japanese channel last night, lol.

Will trees affect what kind of signal you’ll receive? Over 14 mature trees in our yard, and wooded town property behind us.

What’s Apple TV?

Old 09-09-2019, 01:32 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
We live in Berkeley Heights. We have an antenna, but it can only get 39 channels, and none of them are the major networks. Hubby was watching Sumo wrestling on the Japanese channel last night, lol.

Will trees affect what kind of signal you’ll receive? Over 14 mature trees in our yard, and wooded town property behind us.

What’s Apple TV?
You can try Hulu, but when all is said and done, the cost is probably going to be similar to breaking down and getting cable TV if not more.

Just get basic, basic cable. I think it's like $30 a month and it will give you the local channels. Then he can watch Giants, Jets or Eagles.

The alternative is to buy one of those monstrous antennas and tell your husband part of his birthday gift is to go on the roof to install it.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:03 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post

What’s Apple TV?
Berkeley Heights,,, you shouldn't need anything gigantic, actually the size of the antenna elements has to do with the frequency of the channels you are receiving, the number of elements gives it gain.

The key is to have a relatively clear shot towards the skyscrapers of NYC. All the major broadcast networks are on the air, that is the basis of TV.

Try rescanning the TV whenever you change anything also.
The antenna can also be in the attic or wherever you get the clearest shot from the TV stations.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:35 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Get ESPN app on Roku. You can watch MLS and NFL.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:10 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Get ESPN app on Roku. You can watch MLS and NFL.
But you need a cable subscription to be able to log into that app.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: