Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 06:55 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,440,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
There are some vacant tracts adjacent to the Turnpike South of New Brunswick, but once you get past those vacant tracts, you will find that the bulk of the county is suburban, with areas that are filled with huge warehouses. Rural? Nope!
So why is it that south of NB it was/is ruralist but now being filled with warehouses; whereas upon crossing to Mercer County the warehouses are gone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 05:06 AM

968 posts, read 1,143,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
So why is it that south of NB it was/is ruralist but now being filled with warehouses; whereas upon crossing to Mercer County the warehouses are gone?
Mercer County, particularly East Windsor near the turnpike, is loaded to the brim with warehouses. It doesn't stop at any sort of county line, it's linear and runs along the turnpike which is the largest road in the state. Whese else besides an exit right off this road would you build a massive amount of warehouses?

Middlesex north of the Raritan River is older as far as developing goes while south of there was mostly built from the 1960s on. I lived in Middlesex County for 25 years in a few different towns. On the whole I would consider it suburban more than anything else. It is definitely New York Metro but easy to get to Philly and South Jersey as well since it is right on the turnpike. In the 1960s, it was listed as the most traveled county in the country - 5 exits on the turnpike actually - they don't call it the "Heart of NJ" for no reason.

Old 05-31-2021, 03:04 PM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Mercer County, particularly East Windsor near the turnpike, is loaded to the brim with warehouses. It doesn't stop at any sort of county line, it's linear and runs along the turnpike which is the largest road in the state. Whese else besides an exit right off this road would you build a massive amount of warehouses?
+1

But, I guess that you and I should concede that the OP--who lives in TEXAS--surely knows more about NJ than we do.

He may have driven through NJ many years ago, or perhaps he is using Google Street View in order to form his "informed" opinions, but the bottom line is that he does not know what he is talking about in regard anything current concerning Middlesex County, or Mercer County, or anything else about that he has blathered about in his thread.

Old 08-23-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1

But, I guess that you and I should concede that the OP--who lives in TEXAS--surely knows more about NJ than we do.

He may have driven through NJ many years ago, or perhaps he is using Google Street View in order to form his "informed" opinions, but the bottom line is that he does not know what he is talking about in regard anything current concerning Middlesex County, or Mercer County, or anything else about that he has blathered about in his thread.
Uh I'm from the NY try state area, and I do not live in Texas.

Old 12-19-2021, 08:30 PM

So what is Middlesex County's story?

1) As I said it is weird how such a major river, the Raritian, does not serve as the border, especially given how south of the Raritian vs north there is a big disparity in terms of development.

2) Is Middlesex County more a suburb of NY or it's own metro area that given how close it is to NY has been engulfed in greater NY has blurred the fact that it developed as an urban area orginally independently?
-It seems that most NY commuters are west of the city in NJ, you don't hear nearly as much about Middelsex or Monmouth commuters, and the NJ Transit doesn't really serve those areas despite being so close to NY and on the Northeast rail corridor, why is that?

3) On the NJTP, it really seems south of New Brunswick is the demarcation line between urban and rural-ish. Not that Middelsex is rural but you start seeing green space. Is southern Middlesex rural, or was it recently? Why is it that south of New Brunswick the NJ urbanization dissipates?
-Also, in southern Middelsex, do you start to get more of a Philly influence, does NY's sphere of influence wane or is that only once you leave the county going further south?

Old 12-20-2021, 01:31 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:

1) As I said it is weird how such a major river, the Raritian, does not serve as the border, especially given how south of the Raritian vs north there is a big disparity in terms of development.

2) Is Middlesex County more a suburb of NY or it's own metro area that given how close it is to NY has been engulfed in greater NY has blurred the fact that it developed as an urban area orginally independently?
-It seems that most NY commuters are west of the city in NJ, you don't hear nearly as much about Middelsex or Monmouth commuters, and the NJ Transit doesn't really serve those areas despite being so close to NY and on the Northeast rail corridor, why is that?

3) On the NJTP, it really seems south of New Brunswick is the demarcation line between urban and rural-ish. Not that Middelsex is rural but you start seeing green space. Is southern Middlesex rural, or was it recently? Why is it that south of New Brunswick the NJ urbanization dissipates?
-Also, in southern Middelsex, do you start to get more of a Philly influence, does NY's sphere of influence wane or is that only once you leave the county going further south?
Development happens. When my sister moved to North Brunswick years ago, there were still a lot of small farms, so that area would still have been rural or semi-rural. By the time her daughter grew up and they sold the house and went to a 55+, those last farms were all developed. She said she met older people there who thought they were retiring to a country area, and now they were back in suburbia without having moved.

So, what's rural today may not be what is rural tomorrow. It's kind of a lost cause to sit there and try to determine some imaginary line that may be erased next year.

Old 12-20-2021, 07:05 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Quote:

Middlesex is one of the original counties of New Jersey. The river is a municipal border. As for why it's not the county border, probably because Essex already had Elizabethtown and Newark, and the two towns (at the time) of Piscataway and Woodbridge are north of the Raritan, so Middlesex would have been underpopulated with the river as its northern boundary.

Old 12-25-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Development happens. When my sister moved to North Brunswick years ago, there were still a lot of small farms, so that area would still have been rural or semi-rural. By the time her daughter grew up and they sold the house and went to a 55+, those last farms were all developed. She said she met older people there who thought they were retiring to a country area, and now they were back in suburbia without having moved.

So, what's rural today may not be what is rural tomorrow. It's kind of a lost cause to sit there and try to determine some imaginary line that may be erased next year.
So southern Middlesex does have rural but rapidly developing areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey