Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:00 PM

7 posts, read 32,579 times

Advertisements

I'm still researching different towns in NJ to consider moving to. Right now I'm on Roselle park. Is it family friendly? Property taxes? school districts? commute to nyc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 01:41 PM

857 posts, read 2,002,722 times
slightly industrial. reasonable taxes. good NYC commute. Have you considered union - next town over? Better housing stock and one stop closer to NYC.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:20 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Roselle Park is OK. Very blue collar. Lots of smallish Capes. If you can afford Cranford, I would look there.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:01 PM

5 posts, read 22,596 times
I would agree with what others are saying. Roselle Park is fine but it depends on what you're looking for. It isn't a 'premiere' town with the finest schools etc - it's blue collar, maybe kinda hispanic in areas (nothing wrong with that - just saying). It's quiet and safe which is what matters.

Not sure if you're in NJ now, but you can look up New Jersey Transit - Home and find their train schedules to see how the commute would be from any given town. Roselle Park does have a train station - I would guess just under an hour to get in NYC during peak hours. The Raritan Valley line is a bit of a bummer b/c you have to transfer trains at Newark Penn Station before getting into the city...but at rush hours there are lots of trains so no biggie.

I moved to NJ 4 years ago - landed in Westfield (so called 'premiere' town - nice, but it's really snobby) and then bought a house in Cranford. I love Cranford - great schools and vibe without the hoity attitude of Westfield. It is more money than Roselle Park or Union (watch out in Union - there are some less desirable areas - I think Washington Hill (?) is good and Putnam Manor has some cool homes). Resale is good in Cranford too.

Property taxes are fairly uniform across counties here in NJ - so I think Union and Roselle Park taxes are pretty equivalent to Cranford since they're all in Union county. Seemed that way when I was house hunting anyway.

My 2 cents...good luck!

Old 05-16-2008, 06:41 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,902 times
IMO Roselle Park taxes are high. I'm with the other posters suggesting Cranford as a good town with good schools. I think you would be happy there.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:28 AM

131 posts, read 605,256 times
Roselle Park has high taxes, as far as house prices they are not bad but backyards are little small and houses are very tight build. I would say that it say a high indian population as well as italian. Very nice town very quiet with train station if you like it go for it but also check out Union next door you may get little more with less taxes.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 7,864 times
Don't bother with Roselle Park. It used to be a great, lovely little town ...but the quality of people has gone downhill over the last 15 years and the Property Taxes keep going up and up and up. It's a waste and an insult to me. Who the hell wants to pay $800 a month in Property Taxes. I grew up there and moved out when I went to college in Arizona, but my parents still live there ...unfortunately I own my late mothers house (parents split up in the late 90's) and when the market starting going down in 2007-08 the property which never sold I had to rent, so I'm still stuck with it ...hence the reason I am so angry about the Property Taxes in that town and know that it's not worth it. There are so many other towns in NJ that are worth living in ...but Roselle Park isn't one of them. Unless you can afford it, but if you can afford it, then you're better off spending your money in another town. NYC access is great I will say about that.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:08 PM

10 posts, read 30,994 times
Roselle Park isnt what it used to be. The taxes are ridiculously high for no reason. The schools are being taken over by illegals.
If you're looking to move to Union county, research Clark/Cranford.. Maybe even Union township as well.

Middlesex county has very nice towns as well. Colonia is a beautiful suburban town and has excellent schools.
My kids attend the schools, are involved in the sports programs and have a ton of friends.

Taxes are reasonable as well.

Good Luck!

Old 06-03-2014, 12:15 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison910 View Post
Roselle Park isnt what it used to be. The taxes are ridiculously high for no reason. The schools are being taken over by illegals.
If you're looking to move to Union county, research Clark/Cranford.. Maybe even Union township as well.

Middlesex county has very nice towns as well. Colonia is a beautiful suburban town and has excellent schools.
My kids attend the schools, are involved in the sports programs and have a ton of friends.

Taxes are reasonable as well.

Good Luck!
Hmmm, my friend recently moved there with her half Dominican children, I have a feeling a lot of people would deem them "illegals" even though they are 100% American. I'd love to see the data behind your statement.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:22 PM

10 posts, read 30,994 times
Illegals meaning not born in the US. There are alot of Mexicans in RP. I used to live there and got out just in time.
The high school is also know as Heroin City. Not a good place to live/ raise children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey