Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 12:03 PM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You (or someone) said no normal, healthy adult has a minimum wage job. OP has a minimum wage job.
He was the one. This is what he stated in post #75 of this thread, even if he now denies having made those insulting allegations about the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
No normal healthy person is earning minimum wage, its just a tactic used by the left to pull heartstrings to keep the government dole continuing.

When I was 14 I was earning more than minimum wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 03:44 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
He was the one. This is what he stated in post #75 of this thread, even if he now denies having made those insulting allegations about the OP:
It’s in print, lol.

Old 07-22-2022, 12:33 AM

10,429 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
It's not insulting, YOU are claiming its insulting. I'm hoping the OP cares more about getting on track in life versus the potential of having their feelings hurt. As stated by the OP, they have not truly been in workforce, I am letting the OP know that its not common to make minimum wage at any age, for any healthy, functioning adult. Politicians and the media have brainwashed people to think that healthy adults are making minimum wage in this state (stated much earlier in the thread) with the misrepresentation of what median wage really means. Maybe come down from the ivory tower of liberalism fantasies, and visit the real world sometime.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:12 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
It's not insulting, YOU are claiming its insulting. I'm hoping the OP cares more about getting on track in life versus the potential of having their feelings hurt. As stated by the OP, they have not truly been in workforce, I am letting the OP know that its not common to make minimum wage at any age, for any healthy, functioning adult. Politicians and the media have brainwashed people to think that healthy adults are making minimum wage in this state (stated much earlier in the thread) with the misrepresentation of what median wage really means. Maybe come down from the ivory tower of liberalism fantasies, and visit the real world sometime.
The OP clearly stated that they are in the position they are because they spent their life taking care of a parent. Your sneering, condescending remarks say much more about you than they do about any other person. Obviously this person knows full well that it is not common to be making minimum wage at his age. I do not understand people who get such jollies by being unkind. Who the heck are YOU to disparage someone that way and "let them know" that their situation is not common? The person is already quite aware.

And why drag politics into it? I swear, I am not convinced you're not a bot or a paid poster the way you go on and on and on with this nonsense.

Dark-hearted, unkind people like you are what is the problem in this country, not politicians.

Karma usually isn't instant, but you are banking some bad juju for yourself. When payment comes due, you'd better not complain.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The OP clearly stated that they are in the position they are because they spent their life taking care of a parent. Your sneering, condescending remarks say much more about you than they do about any other person. Obviously this person knows full well that it is not common to be making minimum wage at his age. I do not understand people who get such jollies by being unkind. Who the heck are YOU to disparage someone that way and "let them know" that their situation is not common? The person is already quite aware.

And why drag politics into it? I swear, I am not convinced you're not a bot or a paid poster the way you go on and on and on with this nonsense.

Dark-hearted, unkind people like you are what is the problem in this country, not politicians.

Karma usually isn't instant, but you are banking some bad juju for yourself. When payment comes due, you'd better not complain.
None of this sneering, and why would I even care to mock someone in this situation. I let them know in their situation it should be easy to find something entry paying much more. I hope the OP finds value from my comment than having hurt their feelings.

If I'm dark-hearted, unkind, at least I put an effort in to change someone's life, versus being afraid of offending someone.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:48 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
No normal healthy person is earning minimum wage, its just a tactic used by the left
I am on military pension, I get just a hair less than Minimum-Wage.

Fortunately for me that amounts to about twice as much as what my Dw and I spend in our preferred lifestyle.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:30 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
None of this sneering, and why would I even care to mock someone in this situation. I let them know in their situation it should be easy to find something entry paying much more. I hope the OP finds value from my comment than having hurt their feelings.

If I'm dark-hearted, unkind, at least I put an effort in to change someone's life, versus being afraid of offending someone.
I am starting to believe that you may actually see it that way! But for real, think about it. Would YOU make a change in your life based solely on some stranger's nasty remarks to you on the Internet?

And what makes you think this poster has no intention of making any changes to begin with? He only asked for help after losing a parent and finding himself in a position of needing a home. He didn't ask for unsolicited career advice.

Actually, lol, a couple of months ago I would have been shocked at you telling someone else not to work for minimum wage. I always assumed from your posts that you were a kid, but then you mentioned having worked or lived somewhere for an extended period of time, making me realize you might be older than I first thought.

Old 07-22-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am starting to believe that you may actually see it that way! But for real, think about it. Would YOU make a change in your life based solely on some stranger's nasty remarks to you on the Internet?

And what makes you think this poster has no intention of making any changes to begin with? He only asked for help after losing a parent and finding himself in a position of needing a home. He didn't ask for unsolicited career advice.

Actually, lol, a couple of months ago I would have been shocked at you telling someone else not to work for minimum wage. I always assumed from your posts that you were a kid, but then you mentioned having worked or lived somewhere for an extended period of time, making me realize you might be older than I first thought.
My comments were not nasty, just real life and this is advice everyone should be promoting. If they can't get low income housing, they probably need to start looking for other opportunities. I mean you can download the doordash app, and within 15 minutes, start earning $30+ an hour doing deliveries on your own time, Shoprite in Rockaway had a sign hiring cashiers at something over $20 an hour, in this time of age working at minimum wage is either a choice, or maybe its just the unknown of opportunities that exist which i'm thinking is the later.

Maybe i'm just wrong and people are just content in life, and rather live off subsidies. I run a small business (just side work for me but its gig-event work), and was looking to hire 2-4 people (no experience, just a pleasant smile, communication skills and be able to manage and count cash) to do gig sales work 4-5 hours on the weekend evenings this June and July in Morris and Passaic counties. I was offering estimated pay of $400-500 a night for the job (roughly $100+ an hour), which in my opinion was really fun work at some events going on in the weekends. I hardly received any bites of people interested.

Yes, I'm an elder millennial.

Old 07-22-2022, 11:36 AM

962 posts, read 540,481 times
Quote:
Imagine blaming the employee making crap wages and not the employer paying crap wages. I can't understand how disdain for the working class is so common in the political party that (sadly, nowadays) garners most of the white working class vote.

Old 07-22-2022, 11:44 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Quote:
My comments were not nasty, just real life and this is advice everyone should be promoting. If they can't get low income housing, they probably need to start looking for other opportunities. I mean you can download the doordash app, and within 15 minutes, start earning $30+ an hour doing deliveries on your own time, Shoprite in Rockaway had a sign hiring cashiers at something over $20 an hour, in this time of age working at minimum wage is either a choice, or maybe its just the unknown of opportunities that exist which i'm thinking is the later.

Maybe i'm just wrong and people are just content in life, and rather live off subsidies. I run a small business (just side work for me but its gig-event work), and was looking to hire 2-4 people (no experience, just a pleasant smile, communication skills and be able to manage and count cash) to do gig sales work 4-5 hours on the weekend evenings this June and July in Morris and Passaic counties. I was offering estimated pay of $400-500 a night for the job (roughly $100+ an hour), which in my opinion was really fun work at some events going on in the weekends. I hardly received any bites of people interested.

Yes, I'm an elder millennial.
Wow I’m shocked. You seem so pleasant to work for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey