Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 12:29 PM

445 posts, read 322,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Wow I’m shocked. You seem so pleasant to work for.
Spit my coffee out on this one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 06:15 AM

50,834 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
My comments were not nasty, just real life and this is advice everyone should be promoting. If they can't get low income housing, they probably need to start looking for other opportunities. I mean you can download the doordash app, and within 15 minutes, start earning $30+ an hour doing deliveries on your own time, Shoprite in Rockaway had a sign hiring cashiers at something over $20 an hour, in this time of age working at minimum wage is either a choice, or maybe its just the unknown of opportunities that exist which i'm thinking is the later.

Maybe i'm just wrong and people are just content in life, and rather live off subsidies. I run a small business (just side work for me but its gig-event work), and was looking to hire 2-4 people (no experience, just a pleasant smile, communication skills and be able to manage and count cash) to do gig sales work 4-5 hours on the weekend evenings this June and July in Morris and Passaic counties. I was offering estimated pay of $400-500 a night for the job (roughly $100+ an hour), which in my opinion was really fun work at some events going on in the weekends. I hardly received any bites of people interested.

Yes, I'm an elder millennial.
$20 an hour is not enough to be approved for an apartment that costs $1200 a month which is probably low in NJ now. Most landlords require weekly salary equivalent to monthly rent. And she probably has little to no credit history if she wasn’t working or living on her own.

Old 07-23-2022, 06:27 AM

37,476 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
$20 an hour is not enough to be approved for an apartment that costs $1200 a month which is probably low in NJ now. Most landlords require weekly salary equivalent to monthly rent. And she probably has little to no credit history if she wasn’t working or living on her own.
In my opinion rent set at 1/4 of the renter's wages is appropriate.

Our rent is set at 23% of Minimum-Wage.

Old 07-23-2022, 10:50 PM

10,495 posts, read 7,019,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
$20 is 60% more than she is making now. Apparently she has good credit.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:10 AM

88,622 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
$20 is 60% more than she is making now. Apparently she has good credit.
770 is very good.

Old 07-29-2022, 06:13 AM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Some perspective on current costs for apartment rents in NJ, as per NJ.com:

New Jersey ranked as the seventh most expensive location for U.S. renters in 2022, according to the association’s report. Only Hawaii, California, New York, Massachusetts, Washington and the District of Columbia are more expensive.

New Jersey improved slightly compared to last year, when it ranked as the sixth most expensive state for rent in the nation.

A New Jersey resident would need to make more than $65,000 a year, or $31.32 an hour, to afford an average two-bedroom apartment in the state, according to a report released Thursday.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:22 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,104,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Some perspective on current costs for apartment rents in NJ, as per NJ.com:

New Jersey ranked as the seventh most expensive location for U.S. renters in 2022, according to the association’s report. Only Hawaii, California, New York, Massachusetts, Washington and the District of Columbia are more expensive.

New Jersey improved slightly compared to last year, when it ranked as the sixth most expensive state for rent in the nation.

A New Jersey resident would need to make more than $65,000 a year, or $31.32 an hour, to afford an average two-bedroom apartment in the state, according to a report released Thursday.
Sounds about right.

Two people making min wage could basically cover it.

Old 07-29-2022, 10:06 AM

20,150 posts, read 9,036,439 times
The OP stated his goal was to live alone for once in their life. Understandable, but he/she may have to postpone that arrangement until their financial picture improves. They need to increase their income and/or work a second job. Tough spot, but that's the reality of their situation. Depending on the government to improve your life is full of pitfalls.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:30 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,741,978 times
JJ I hope you received the promotion and are on your way to getting your own apt.
I have been out of NJ for almost 7 years now and was contemplating moving back, I almost fell out of my chair on the rents for a 1 bedroom, old dumpy places where you can't even have your own washer/dryer.

Guess I'll stay planted in Savannah, where my rent/utilities for a two bed two bath with attached garage, pet friendly, pool and gated is $1600, and just do my every couple of month visit to Lk Hopatcong.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:01 PM

88,622 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
JJ I hope you received the promotion and are on your way to getting your own apt.
I have been out of NJ for almost 7 years now and was contemplating moving back, I almost fell out of my chair on the rents for a 1 bedroom, old dumpy places where you can't even have your own washer/dryer.

Guess I'll stay planted in Savannah, where my rent/utilities for a two bed two bath with attached garage, pet friendly, pool and gated is $1600, and just do my every couple of month visit to Lk Hopatcong.
Glad you visited here! Yes, rents are insane.

My daughter just moved to Pittsburgh. High rent there, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey