Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 02:43 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
The more government involvement the more expensive everything gets and the more effed up. Haven't we noticed the pattern?
That's not true. It's privatization that is driving costs. These private ambulance companies charge $9000 simply because they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 01:36 PM

1,146 posts, read 862,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
We had a $26,000 bill recently for 2 nights in a hospital. No care was performed besides some blood tests and regular pain meds. Idiots tried billing some random insurance company that I’d never even heard of, even though we provided all of the proper info.
I wouldn't have paid it. Thats ridiculous

Old 05-10-2023, 02:37 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
We didn't. We just had to provide the proper insurance.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-10-2023, 04:53 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,177,644 times
Go read An American Sickness: How Healthcare Became Big Business and How You Can Take It Back, it explains how healthcare cost so much in this country.

In short, we have a 3rd party paying system in this country where we are conditioned not to be price sensitive for healthcare. Where do you see price of healthcare or anything that accept "insurance" post the price of the service? You were conditioned into paying your co-pay ($20, $40, $60, 20%, etc) and you as the consumer never questioned or care about the price of the service.

Do you want to know the price of the TV or steak you get from the market? Of course you do. But if the market say we accept insurance for the steak. You just need to co-pay is $5 for each steak. Now they can charge the insurance company $500 for steak.

And where do the insurance companies get the $500 to pay for the steak? Of course you. They will bill you for $600 and pay the market say $400. They pocket the $200 for doing the service for your behalf.

Old 05-15-2023, 04:59 PM

3,430 posts, read 1,845,129 times
This is why I don't use medical services.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:49 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Go read An American Sickness: How Healthcare Became Big Business and How You Can Take It Back, it explains how healthcare cost so much in this country.

In short, we have a 3rd party paying system in this country where we are conditioned not to be price sensitive for healthcare. Where do you see price of healthcare or anything that accept "insurance" post the price of the service? You were conditioned into paying your co-pay ($20, $40, $60, 20%, etc) and you as the consumer never questioned or care about the price of the service.

Do you want to know the price of the TV or steak you get from the market? Of course you do. But if the market say we accept insurance for the steak. You just need to co-pay is $5 for each steak. Now they can charge the insurance company $500 for steak.

And where do the insurance companies get the $500 to pay for the steak? Of course you. They will bill you for $600 and pay the market say $400. They pocket the $200 for doing the service for your behalf.
Yes, system is failing.. i wonder how much longer it can last.

Old 05-27-2023, 10:39 PM

360 posts, read 285,344 times
a couple of years ago i passed out at the cheesecake factory in freehold raceway mall. it was entirely my fault as it was a hot day, i was busy running around getting ready for my daughter's graduation and hadn't eaten or had any water since the day before. long story short, it turned out i was severely dehydrated. so before i can figure out wth is going on, I'm on a gurney being loaded inside of an ambulance that is taking me down the road (maybe 1/2 a mile, if that) to centrastate.
i got the bill after my insurance had paid their portion and they charged me $4000 for the short ride to the hospital! okay, so it's not $9000, but seriously? reading this story pisses me off all over again.

Old 05-28-2023, 05:32 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
All I'll say, the fly by night companies taxiing patients to healthcare providers need to be investigated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

False charges, lies and insurance scam!

Old 05-28-2023, 06:57 AM

88,616 posts, read 84,857,016 times
I was just talking to a woman in my complex whose husband needed an ambulance. $3400. Insurance won't cover because his condition was not life-threatening, which they did not know when they called the ambulance but was later determined at the hospital.

Part of the problem is that volunteer ambulance corps are disappearing because there are no more volunteers. Same is happening in many communities with fire departments. There will soon be a need for paid firefighters in a lot of places that never had them before.

Old 05-28-2023, 07:19 AM

15,441 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
The more government involvement the more expensive everything gets and the more effed up. Haven't we noticed the pattern?
That's not true. The ambulances in Houston are operated by the Fire Department and work very well. Private ambulances would refuse most of the calls that HFD makes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey