Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 05:38 AM

11 posts, read 89,505 times

Advertisements

DKGB Mommy...I can't tell you where the majority of Fair Lawn's Orthodox/Jewish population sends their kids to school. But the town is traditionally very mixed and appeals to many people. And it is known to be a "Jewish" town to a certain degree. From my count, there are three synagogues in town but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more. Glen Rock (I think) has one and Ridgewood does not have any. Now that could've changed but when my Wife and I were looking for homes in 1994, the lack of a synagogue in Ridgewood made my wife a bit uncomfortable. She's not very religeous but identifies culturally as Jewish so she wanted a town that was historically that way. So Fair Lawn fit the bill.
As I said before, it is the schools that attract people. For some reason, the curriculum is more rounded including kids with "special needs" like your son and mine. Other, more affluent communities tend to give more attention to students who achieve in academics and/or athletics. That is why so many out of towners voluntarily send their kids to Fair Lawn.
The town is also extremely handy to Franklin Lakes and Oakland. Just hop on Route 208 and in about 20 minutes, you're there. Oakland is exactly 10 miles from where I live.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 04:17 PM

4 posts, read 17,959 times
Default Northwest Bergen towns, schools, "jews"

Hi Amy,

I was searching the internet for a teacher's name in Glen Rock, and your posted message got my attention. I live in Glen Rock, Moderator cut: No solicitingone of my sons has a learning disability and is classified, and...I'm a jew! :-)

I've lived in Glen Rock 19 years - and Bergen County my whole life. I don't know if you have already moved, but if not, I'd be a great resource for you. If you have moved, and you've moved to Glen Rock - please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about Special Services. Good Luck!

Nena

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-23-2010 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Signatures are not permitted, per TOS. Advertising is not permitted.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:12 PM

316 posts, read 1,249,127 times
Default great school in ho ho kus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKBGMommy View Post
Hi all.

My DH recently accepted a job in NW Bergen county and we are planning on moving there from the boonies of upstate NY. We're considering Ramsey, Ridgewood or Glen Rock. We have 2 children (3 and 5). Here are our issues:

1. Our DS (5) has Asperger's syndrome. While he does pretty well w/ minimal supports, we need a school district that we can work with. I've heard very good things about Ramsey, good things about Ridgewood, and ok things about Glen Rock. (I've heard to stay away from Wycoff and can't get much information about Ho-Ho-Kus or Allendale).

2. I'd like to live in a community where there will be other Jews. I'm reform (dh grew up conservative) and we currently live in a community with a very, very small jewish population. I have to say, while people are nice here (read "polite") in my years of living here I've hardly made any friend that I can really relate to. (Basically, my former boss is the one person who fits that bill and she's in a very different place in her life).

Basically, I get the impression that there are (1) plenty of Jews in Glen Rock, (2) some Jews in Ridgewood, and (3) not sure if there are any in Ramsey. So basically the list is the inverse of what I've heard about the schools for kids with special needs.

We drove around the area with a real estate broker last weekend and I really like the town feel of many of the areas and the older charming houses. (I currently live in a town w/o sidewalks that can only be described as "subdivision hell" - don't get me wrong...it's a nice place and the people are nice, but it's not my cup of tea). Then I read in a post somewhere that the areas with the older homes closer to town are more waspy. Finally, I read in a post that Ridgewood was the type of place where people get very involved. While that sounds great to me in some respects, I have to admit that my DS doesn't like getting dragged to big functions where there are lots of people or kids (unless its Disneyworld) and I know my ability to participate in community things will be somewhat limited (although I'd really enjoy it).

Anyway, I'm just confused and overwhelmed and am looking for any insights people have.

TIA, Amy
there is a great school chatam and ho ho kus called eclc for kids with speical needs. your child will be registered in your dist. but go to school there paid for by your dist. any questions pm me.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:08 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,483 times
From what I know, you have received some great advice here. I agree Fair Lawn is more "middle class" so to speak and "more Jewish" -- certianly more than Ridgewood. I've been told that Ridgewood used to be known as a "waspy" town; although in recent years I know several Jewish people who moved there and have met others who live there. I think it's changed to an extent. The Jewish people I know who live don't feel "lonely" or "out of place" or anything of the like. Other than travelling to go to services, Hebrew school, etc. In addition, I believe there is a temple in Ridgewood. I haven't been there, however, I think it's called Temple Isreal (on Grove St.). There is also a temple in Wycoff (at least one). Of course they might not be what you want (vis a vis, Conservative, Reform, Conserva-dox, etc.).

Ridgewood residents do go to temples/shuls/synasogues in neighboring towns -- Glen Rock, Woodcliff Lake, Franklin Lakes, Mahwah, even Park Ridge, etc.

I would speak with local residents and you can also contact the Jewish Family Service. There is one in Teaneck that covers a lot of that area, and one in Fair Lawn (a satellite location). I would contact the Teaneck location.

Regarding the education aspect. That is very important. You should certainly speak with the school districts themselves. You can also call the Alpine Learning Center and the Fiddle Foundation. They are both known to be great resources for special needs children. Jewish Family Service of Bergen County (the one in Teaneck) is also a great resource. They are currently managing an Aspergers Program (not limited to that one point on the spectrum). The Executive Director's name is Lisa Fedder.

Good luck.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 14,627 times
I am Jewish and live in Ridgewood and have not been happy in the town now that my 6 year old has been in the public school. It is a great town as far as what it has to offer and it's close proximity to everything but growing up in town that was healvily populated with Jews, I do feel out of place. It is very waspy. I sent my child to the JCC in Washington Township where I have made many friends but people are spread thin among other towns in the area. Woodclif Lake is primarily Jewish as well as Fair Lawn but they are very different towns.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:49 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKBGMommy View Post
Hi all.

My DH recently accepted a job in NW Bergen county and we are planning on moving there from the boonies of upstate NY. We're considering Ramsey, Ridgewood or Glen Rock. We have 2 children (3 and 5). Here are our issues:

1. Our DS (5) has Asperger's syndrome. While he does pretty well w/ minimal supports, we need a school district that we can work with. I've heard very good things about Ramsey, good things about Ridgewood, and ok things about Glen Rock. (I've heard to stay away from Wycoff and can't get much information about Ho-Ho-Kus or Allendale).

2. I'd like to live in a community where there will be other Jews. I'm reform (dh grew up conservative) and we currently live in a community with a very, very small jewish population. I have to say, while people are nice here (read "polite") in my years of living here I've hardly made any friend that I can really relate to. (Basically, my former boss is the one person who fits that bill and she's in a very different place in her life).

Basically, I get the impression that there are (1) plenty of Jews in Glen Rock, (2) some Jews in Ridgewood, and (3) not sure if there are any in Ramsey. So basically the list is the inverse of what I've heard about the schools for kids with special needs.

We drove around the area with a real estate broker last weekend and I really like the town feel of many of the areas and the older charming houses. (I currently live in a town w/o sidewalks that can only be described as "subdivision hell" - don't get me wrong...it's a nice place and the people are nice, but it's not my cup of tea). Then I read in a post somewhere that the areas with the older homes closer to town are more waspy. Finally, I read in a post that Ridgewood was the type of place where people get very involved. While that sounds great to me in some respects, I have to admit that my DS doesn't like getting dragged to big functions where there are lots of people or kids (unless its Disneyworld) and I know my ability to participate in community things will be somewhat limited (although I'd really enjoy it).

Anyway, I'm just confused and overwhelmed and am looking for any insights people have.

TIA, Amy

Don't know about the schools as far as your son's needs go, but Fair Lawn is predominantly Jewish--has Reform, Conservative, and Orthodox congregations. You might check that out. It borders Glen Rock.

EDIT: Just realized how old this thread was.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 AM

9 posts, read 34,853 times
Since your DH will be working in the Franklin Lakes area why not consider Wyckoff or Franklin Lakes?
They are wonderful Jewish communities with a strong 'localized' identity and plenty of Jewish institutions.

Feel free to contact me at 201-848-0449 or through our website at www.chabadplace.org and I'll give you as much time as you need and 'walk' you through every town.

Good Luck,
Rabbi Chanoch Kaplan
Chabad Jewish Center
Franklin Lakes, NJ

Old 07-19-2012, 08:33 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbs View Post
Since your DH will be working in the Franklin Lakes area why not consider Wyckoff or Franklin Lakes?
They are wonderful Jewish communities with a strong 'localized' identity and plenty of Jewish institutions.

Feel free to contact me at 201-848-0449 or through our website at www.chabadplace.org and I'll give you as much time as you need and 'walk' you through every town.

Good Luck,
Rabbi Chanoch Kaplan
Chabad Jewish Center
Franklin Lakes, NJ
Trolling for congregants, Rabbi?

The OP was four years ago. I'm sure they figured out where to live by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey