Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 06:16 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,770,291 times

Advertisements

School in AZ is much cheaper also. I was shocked when I moved to NJ from AZ looking to get my Master's Degree. What I paid for TWO YEARS of college I had to pay for one class in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 06:35 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,874,432 times
Where in Phoenix? I used to live there and still work there Going back in a few weeks for an office visit.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:58 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,694,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
As someone said, sounds like you're already half way there, especially if you have family there. Ask at work first and see if they will let you move and what your salary would be - at least then you would have an idea of the feasability.
It's funny, I would actually take a slight paycut if I could move to Phoenix, of course, I wouldn't tip them off to that in initial negotiations.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Where in Phoenix? I used to live there and still work there Going back in a few weeks for an office visit.

I've been looking at Gilbert and Queen Creek, and I was also tipped off to Tempe south of 60.

I'm meeting with my bosses later this summer, and then I was planning to go out to PHX for the NASCAR race in November. If the bosses give me a green light, I might move up that schedule. If the bosses don't give me the green light, I might start looking out there anyway.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:01 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,676,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Seems like alot of lenders are looking to see 20% down, because they're afraid prices will continue to erode. If you've only for 5% or 10% in the game, the chances of them getting upside down on a house are greater if the prices fall further. There was a time when you needed 20% just to get a lender to speak to you- sounds like we may be heading back in that direction.
Seems the opposite to me. They aren't caring about your down payment so much as your income, history, ability to pay, and a traditional fixed rate mortgage. This is why I don't get the "20%" thing.

I was just talking to a friend (who works for a lender, used to be her own lender, got bought out by a big bank), she made the same comment - "why 20%?"

Old 06-14-2008, 09:21 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,365,730 times
While many lenders still offer loans for less than 20% down, a higher credit score is required for those than there used to be. A lot of lenders aren't doing to well these days, as credit was too loose and too often loans were made on the basis of the buyer having a pulse.
Lenders now are more careful and have to minimize their risk, and, as home prices are dropping in many places, they want to have a little cushion.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:42 AM

222 posts, read 1,026,735 times
I have a lot of family in Phoenix, its beautiful there (a bit too hot for me).

Just make sure you do your research. Some homes will be cheaper in Phoenix but its not really apples to apples comparison with NJ. You have to find out what the taxes are like, if there are city wages taxes with your job, if your prop taxes cover garbage pickup. Plus, your utility bills are going to skyrocket in the summer as Phoenicians have to run AC full blast for about 6 months of the year.

Plus, water is more expensive out there per 1000 gallons and you'll be using more of it then in NJ. A lot of people in Phoenix have pools (which tend to evaporate quickly and need to be topped off constantly) and water misters on their decks. They use up a lot of water trying to stay cool, it's a big expense.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:51 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,874,432 times
Still, a 220k home vs what.. I don't know what the equivalent home is here in NJ, i would guess well into the 400s. Other costs are not so different (maybe some higher, maybe some lower), and he is not going to be looking at a 50% pay cut. Anyway. Phoenix is a different world. I probably would have stayed there if not for my wife wanting to come back but I also am glad to be home.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:43 PM

So after a month of debating with the wife, I realized something...

I hate the corrupt government.

I hate the high property taxes.

I hate a lot of things about this state.

But goddamnit, it's MY state. And it's home.

So that being said, let's start looking in East Windsor.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:09 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,166,049 times
We were seriously considering moving to phoenix - but ultimately decided against it. Both the husband and I LOVE arizona... but we realized that the trade off for being able to buy a house for very little money is that we wont' have the ability to make money to support said house. That being said - we are moving to NJ for a number of reasons - if you think it's bad getting a bang for your buck in NJ, try New York... Long Island, it's impossible to find anything under $300K that's a place that you'd want to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey