Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 19,628 times

Advertisements

does anyone know how the area around Warnaco park is? Like around the sidestreets between st. George ave and Dill ave (I think its about two blocks to the park). I am thinking about buying a place here, but have heard mixed things about crime and the school system. The neighbors seemed to be primarily polish. Does anyone know what the rate of foreclosures around there? How is PS4 for elementary school? or will I have to send my son to catholic school if the school is that bad. I'm moving from one of the borroughs of NYC, so any public school is better than NYC public school. Is it safe to walk my dog at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 02:38 PM

16 posts, read 35,065 times
I grew up in linden and that area you are talking about is ok..It's not as good as it used to be. I think a better area for you to check out would be Sunnyside...that's the area on the other end of St. George around Wood ave close to Cranford. As for the public schools, I think that it is a pretty good one. I'm a teacher and i've done some research since I wanted to teach there and they seem to have a really good reputation. I am a product of the Linden Public schools and I turned out great..lol.

Yes you can walk your dog at night, I just wouldnt' do it too late.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:49 PM

Mind you I am used to living in the bed stuy section of brooklyn and harlem my whole life. And I thought that area was quiet compared to what I have been used to my whole life. There wasn't anyone on the porch hanging out, no pit bulls running around, and I am used to living in my fair share of bad 'hoods. But I figured it's time to get out of the hood (mainly because I can't afford to buy anything here due to the gentrification that is going on). But I went to public schools and got an undergrad and grad degree from columbia. There weren't kids running around barefoot and wild in the street. It seemed really nice to me, but I keep hearing all these negative threads on Linden. Are people like me moving to the area, that can't exactly afford a 650K house with 12k in taxes, but is educated and want a "somewhat suburban" neighborhood?

Old 07-02-2008, 03:07 PM

45 posts, read 203,381 times
Well compared to Bed Stuy and Harlem, Linden is paradise, lol. Overall, Linden is okay, but it does have it's fair share of crime, and it's right by the smokestacks which is a big negative. The area you are talking about is alright, but I agree that the Sunnyside section is probably the best area of Linden, and you should consider that. It isn't really expensive either.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:28 PM

148 posts, read 639,257 times
I moved to linden in my late teens, im only in my mid 20s now . I still live here with my son and husband. My best friend lives on Caroline ave which is by that park. Alot of elderly people live in her neighborhood. Im originally from newark, nj so yeah linden feels like a step up when you come from the "hood" as you say. My friend who lives on caroline ave went to duke and i to howard then rutgers. Someone in another post described linden as a blue collar town and i think it is but in the best sense, meaning there are hard working families here who want to give their kids a better life. Thats what my parent was doing by moving here and my friends parents . The city is really mixed (mostly polish and hatian). I cant vouch for the elementary schools as i only spent two years in the school system but the high school was pretty good IMO. Different levels to serve different kids (from college prep to AP). I lived next to the high, not sunnyside, but the second nicest area in linden. I think that if you can find something in your price range you should aim for sunnyside and your kids will go to the best schools in linden for elementary and middle school. All and all i have never felt scared while living here. i think its pretty much a decent city

Old 07-03-2008, 07:09 AM

526 posts, read 2,068,119 times
I'm the one who actually described it as a "blue collar town." And I'm glad you agree. If you're coming from Bed Struy or Harlem, then Linden's a walk in the park. And the section you're talking about is one of the best sections in Linden (though not as good as Sunnyside). And I wouldn't worry about gentrification, but Linden is on a downhill swing. And the schools aren't the greatest. But if you don't have kids, Linden's a viable option.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:50 AM

Well, harlem and bed stuy now are like times square compared to the 80's and 90's with a ton of condos and restore brownstones. so it has definitely changed. Etown- what do you mean by downhill swing? Do you think that it is going to be the next newark or do you just mean that property values will decline based on the mortgage slump? if that is the case, it is a real shame because we drove around the area and we thought it was beautiful and really nice to have the park two blocks away. My husband and I are both wall street professionals and liked having the park there near the house. yes, I have an infant son so schools may be important, unless we plan on moving within 6 years. But we wanted to have something close to the city, had decent schools, and a "working class" neighborhood where other families are similar: work, want to raise a family, and not pretentious.
Is there a lot of drug activity and drug busts going down at your neighbors house? Is that what is happening now?

Old 07-03-2008, 11:24 AM

If that's what you're looking for, then I say try Union. That town is exactly what you just described. I personally don't live in Linden, but I have friends that do and I'm around that area a lot. That particular area is nice, but I can't say the same for the town as a whole. When I say downhill, I mean the town has changed for the worse. It used to be mostly hard working Polish and Blacks. Now, there's a lot of Mexicans and Central Americans. I'm not trying to judge, so if you're cool with that ... then no problem. But drive through that park on a Saturday and you'll think you just entered Nicaragua.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:45 AM

148 posts, read 639,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
If that's what you're looking for, then I say try Union. That town is exactly what you just described. I personally don't live in Linden, but I have friends that do and I'm around that area a lot. That particular area is nice, but I can't say the same for the town as a whole. When I say downhill, I mean the town has changed for the worse. It used to be mostly hard working Polish and Blacks. Now, there's a lot of Mexicans and Central Americans. I'm not trying to judge, so if you're cool with that ... then no problem. But drive through that park on a Saturday and you'll think you just entered Nicaragua.
I believe you're talking about union township versus union city (in that jersey city/hoboken area) if so then im with you in recommending it. I have heard that taxes in Union township are pretty high in comparison with linden but i also like it better than linden and the elementary schools are supposed to be really good (the high school not so much). It is also diverse, always a plus in my book. We considered Union township, but seem to now be leaning towards rahway or jersey city (two completely different places). We cant decide between more of an urban neighborhood or a suburb type place (im not sure if linden and rahway qualify as suburbs).

Old 07-03-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight114 View Post
I believe you're talking about union township versus union city (in that jersey city/hoboken area) if so then im with you in recommending it. I have heard that taxes in Union township are pretty high in comparison with linden but i also like it better than linden and the elementary schools are supposed to be really good (the high school not so much). It is also diverse, always a plus in my book. We considered Union township, but seem to now be leaning towards rahway or jersey city (two completely different places). We cant decide between more of an urban neighborhood or a suburb type place (im not sure if linden and rahway qualify as suburbs).
Well that's a debate for another thread ... I personally wouldn't classify Linden or Rahway as suburbs, but everyone seems to have a different definition of suburb ... so to each his own. And, yes, I was speaking of Union Township, not Union City - glad you have the same feelings about it. As far as Rahway versus JC, I'd go with Rahway since you have a child. JC has becone the symbol for gentrification in Jersey, and anything you find there that's still affordable is probably not in a very good section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey