Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 02:08 PM

438 posts, read 966,536 times

Advertisements

mine was $158 and it was because the ac was on quite a bit during some brutal days in July
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 02:14 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,632,424 times
[quote=tahiti;4845691]LMAO! If that's the case he should have no problem paying the bills! LOL

I literally almost choked when he told me - and then he promptly blamed it on his wife who likes to keep the house like a meat locker. Mine was $314 last month (Wiley, I originally told you my bill was somewhere around $160, but got the latest bill a week or two later ) and I almost cried.

I told my husband today that we're not turning the heat on until November.[/quote]

DECEMBER for me! I'm stocking up on duraflames for the FP

Old 08-13-2008, 02:58 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,956,920 times
My bill for July was $121, higher than normal with the central A/C going during the day. However, at night the central goes up to 80 and our window unit goes on in the bedroom as the central doesn't do a good job on the third (upper)level.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:01 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,376,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Ouch.....we run the AC pretty constantly because I like it cold- but even with the downstairs set at 74 and the upstairs at 73, our power bill over the last few months has barely broken $200. I'm wondering if it's the rates or the fact that the house is new and well-insulated. Any idea what cost per kwh is up there nowadays?
Bob, I'm sure its the rates. My bill here is about $200-$225 for a much larger house. I averaged about $400-$500 in NJ during the summer months.
My friend from Philly checked it on line , and said rates were much less here.
You are probably on the TVA line.
For those that don't know, it is in the history books, The Tennessee Valley Authority----http://www.tva.gov/abouttva/history.htm

I'm sure Georgia is on that pipeline as its a border state.

Diane G

Old 08-13-2008, 06:40 PM

36 posts, read 149,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Did anyone else have heart failure when they opened their JCP&L bill this month!!!!!!! Last month was around $176 which is about normal. This month $490.00!!! I spoke with a friend of mine who had the same issue..largest JCP&L bill he has ever received! How are people coping??? It's out of control. Screw recession - this State / Country is heading for a depression if something isn't done soon.
A lot of the money you are paying is probably tax. Nowhere near that expensive down South.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:24 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,645,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
really? you're near the water, you'd think it'd be cooler. it's been absolutely fabulous, even today! my AC hasn't been on for 10 days!
It's a humidity thing. Go figure. When your area was down in the 50's at night we were about 65 due to the ocean being about 75 degrees now.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:15 PM

5 posts, read 10,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Did anyone else have heart failure when they opened their JCP&L bill this month!!!!!!! Last month was around $176 which is about normal. This month $490.00!!! I spoke with a friend of mine who had the same issue..largest JCP&L bill he has ever received! How are people coping??? It's out of control. Screw recession - this State / Country is heading for a depression if something isn't done soon.

I thought I was the only one!! My bill this month is $291.72...over $100.00 more than last month. And this month I lowered the thermostat and used ceiling fans. I didn't spend this much on my FPL bill and that was in FL...in the summer!!!

Old 08-14-2008, 02:42 AM

214 posts, read 560,892 times
Some of your AC units might need a coil cleaning. That was the problem with ours, the coils were full of all crud and it was making the AC stay on more and work harder and it made the bill go up. We gave the coil a good cleaning and it worked, now the AC works properly. Try to do it your self though because the AC crooks I mean repair guys will try and charge a few hundred for something you could do for free with detergent and a toothbrush do like we did and spend about 8 bucks at home depot for coil cleaner foam spray.

We saved money so Nah nah nah nah nah

Old 08-14-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter View Post
Some of your AC units might need a coil cleaning. That was the problem with ours, the coils were full of all crud and it was making the AC stay on more and work harder and it made the bill go up. We gave the coil a good cleaning and it worked, now the AC works properly. Try to do it your self though because the AC crooks I mean repair guys will try and charge a few hundred for something you could do for free with detergent and a toothbrush do like we did and spend about 8 bucks at home depot for coil cleaner foam spray.

We saved money so Nah nah nah nah nah
LOL...you'ld think being in the business, I would have thought about that! Shoemaker's kids has no shoes..I'll be taking care of it tomorrow

Old 08-14-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citycrawler View Post
A lot of the money you are paying is probably tax. Nowhere near that expensive down South.

Not tax.. a delivery charge plus a higher rate in the summer... gotta love NJ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey