Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 03:08 PM

170 posts, read 962,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ-FROM-NJ View Post
BOB & ROYCE,

I don't want outsiders with no interest in Americans to own any part of my state!!! WAKE UP!!! Private companies either foreign or domestic can and will impose any restrictions, rules, tolls, guidelines etc... that they want after they own it!! If they want to charge a monthly pass of $100 a month to use the toll they can. And don't think Easy Pass won't pay a huge roll in this either. (although it may be a different owner and name by then) You will be forced eventually to buy a pass so that you can't cheat them and slip through the toll!!! They will issue tickets just like Easy Pass does if you do, more money -more money- more money ca-ching- ca-ching.

Did you just propose cheating at the EZ Pass tolls? How is that ethical. I don't think it is unethical for EZ Pass to get paid if you use a toll road.

If someone wants to charge me $100 a month for just a pass, I won't use their road. Plan and simple. I doubt many people would. The company would probably drop the cost to spur more demand - Eco 101. You have gone a record of saying our government is corrupt - then why do you want them controlling the highways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 03:39 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Well, royce, the government is incompetent and corrupt, and apparently it's un-American to sell the roads to a foreign company, so maybe we need to sell them to a good ole' American company like Halliburton or Bechtel- those guys could manage the program without a problem, right? I mean, look at the bang-up job they're doing in Iraq.........lol.

Bob

Old 01-23-2007, 03:45 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
I think it's very odd to sell a road to a private company, and not a good idea. I hate to pay tolls, so I usually take other roads to get to where I am going.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:02 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
CJ it is soo true...it sad when reality sets in...If this state was so wonderful then why are there so many people moving out of it and not enough people moving IN??? because the salaires have gotten pitiful, companyies are getting smart and leaving, and it is a shame that my friends parents have to pay 11.5k a year in an adult community here in Jackson just so they can have a quality of life which really is non-existant unless you make a ton of money or have 2 major incomes, Like us I have been home for 12 yrs with my kids and plan to stay that way, howver staying here means me having to go back to work and leaving my kids, not that im judging anyone for us that just doesnt work, so with that we need to leave this state and know there is something better out there regardless of where it maybe....young men having heart attacks from stress, commuting long hours etc is very sad too....so the most important thing in life should be family and health without that you have nothing...IMO....

Old 01-23-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
and it is a shame that my friends parents have to pay 11.5k a year in an adult community here in Jackson just so they can have a quality of life which really is non-existant unless you make a ton of money or have 2 major incomes, ....
Sounds like your friend's mom didn't do much looking if she bought a 55+ home in Jackson and is paying $11k/year, the majority of which is going to the schools. My mother just bought a 2BR 2BA in Berkeley last year that's beautiful, and her taxes are under $2k/year. So let's not go down the path that so many threads around here do, where the experiences of one particular person somehow translate into "no one can possibly do XXX in NJ without YYY".

Bob

Old 01-23-2007, 05:34 PM

my parents are in manchester in an adult communtiy and paying 5700 so sorry but most adult communities have gotten extremely expensive...as well, apparenlty like I said you dont see what most of us see.....and my parents came from a disgusting apt that they lived in for 40 years, manchester is umm pretty poor town so to speak, and doesnt have alot of schools, also jackson adult communities were paying 1/2 that and well now that jackson is going to be reassessing im sure they will stabalize for these 55 and over communities....well LIke I said people on fixed incomes who had nothing who wanted something should be able to live where they want at that age without paying 5800-11k in taxes.....

Old 01-23-2007, 05:49 PM

I don't know how I "don't see what most of us see"- I don't consider my experiences here to be so out of the ordinary by any stretch. There's thousands of homes in the Holiday City subdivisions, all with taxes around $2k (and a hefty $25/month maintenance fee....lol), so it's not like my mother's case is some exception to the rule.

I think alot comes down to the word that got used twice in your last sentence- "want". You "want" to live in a nice, 4 BR, $600k house in a town with very good schools, but you don't "want" to pay taxes that amount to less than 2% of the value of your home (which, btw, is not unusual for alot of areas of the country). People on fixed incomes "want" to live where they "want", you say. Well, I "want" to live in a Beverly Hills mansion, but I don't "want" to pay $4 million for it. I think it was the Rolling Stones who said "you can't always get whatcha want....."

Old 01-23-2007, 05:53 PM

ok well want is a strong word when my parent had nothing, and I have to say Im so tired of people just being so opinioniated about everything, and some people on these boards are never right...my cousin lives in a small 3 bdrm home 2.5 bath in Parlin and her taxes are now 6000k and honestly the schools arent so good...so with that we should just all sacrifice and pay these disgusting taxes and home prices for what??? and 600k dollar house interesting considering that if you want schools in a good area you should pay more in taxes well that is a shame...

Old 01-23-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
and 600k dollar house interesting considering that if you want schools in a good area you should pay more in taxes well that is a shame...
So are you saying that we should all pay equal taxes and that will result in equal education? Should you and I pay to subsidize the schools in Newark, Camden, etc? Of course you're going to pay more to have better schools- that's like paying more for a Mercedes than for a Chevrolet because you want a better ride.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:07 PM

In one way shape or form you are already paying to subsidize it....and No im talking about all areas being equal, however due to overcrowded schools, paying teachers salaries and insurance well, apparenlty there is still not enough money to go around so they suck the money from all of us, my area isnt affluent our schools are good, and 12k a year in taxes in jackson? sorry but I dont see it and they told us we are under assessed...I lived in a bi-level in manalapan before here paying 5000k in taxes in 5 years they went up to 6500 and in 2 years being rassessed again....and the new schools are overcroweded..I guess I just dont see it, but anyway this is deviating from the original post about the turnpike, and some debates will not be won so Im not even going to try, eveyrone lives the way they want to and either way people shouldnt be forced to leave their homes because of where they live....they just cant afford any longer...either way its a shame. and this topic never seems to go anywhere so and everyone is judged anyhow for the way they live...I agree with all the posters about the corruption here in NJ and stupid govenor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey