Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:23 PM

4 posts, read 21,466 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to the Princeton area for work. I'm looking at homes online and see many homes in both the Plainsboro, West Windsor, Princeton Junction, and Franklin Township (which I saw on the Money Magazine's Top 100 List). Can someone give me a quick rundown on the major differences in these towns? Culture, personality, pros/cons, etc and which area would be the best investment for resale. In a nutshell - which is the more desirable area? They are all w/in easy commute for my husband. We are interested in being in a good school district.

Also, is the Princeton boro school district heads and shoulders over these others? Would it be better to buy a tiny house in the "boro" than a newer, larger house in one of these suburbs, if school is the main consideration? (Although we also like the idea of being able to walk somewhere via sidewalks.) We are moving from a mainstreet New England town where we can even walk our child to school. 700k is our limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 10:17 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,103,940 times
In all honestly, as weird as this sounds, Wikipedia explains the towns very well. Here are some links to the sites:

Plainsboro:
Plainsboro Township, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

West Windsor:
West Windsor Township, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Princeton Junction:
Princeton Junction, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Franklin Township:

Franklin Township, Somerset County, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-03-2008, 10:46 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,697,764 times
If 700k is your limit, I'd go with Plainsboro or West Windsor. DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE ABOUT FRANKLIN - that Money Magazine article is one of the biggest jokes in this forum. Franklin borders New Brunswick and has a lot of bad sections, plus there's major issues with the schools. The schools are improving, but do you want to have your kid there, or in the West Windsor-Plainsboro District, which is one of the best in the state?

Your taxes will be a little higher in West Windsor or Plainsboro, but the quality of life will be better, IMHO.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:53 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,697,764 times
Actually, I just thought of something -

If 700K is your limit, I'd also look into Cranbury. Great schools as well, and they funnel into the Princeton district. Just make sure when you're looking, it's Cranbury schools and not East Windsor. Some homes have mailing addresses of Cranbury when they are actually part of East Windsor.

Cranbury is a beautiful, quiet little town, and it's the one that'll remind you the most of New England.

I know for a FACT there are several beautiful houses on the market in Cranbury that are well within your budget.

EDIT: And if walking your child to school is important, you'll fall fast, hard, and deeply in love with Cranbury.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:32 AM

4 posts, read 21,466 times
Default thank you

Everyone who responded - thank you! I'm passionately exploring Cranbury online today and we may drive there to visit this weekend!!!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 08:53 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,699,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princetonbound View Post
We may be moving to the Princeton area for work. I'm looking at homes online and see many homes in both the Plainsboro, West Windsor, Princeton Junction, and Franklin Township (which I saw on the Money Magazine's Top 100 List). Can someone give me a quick rundown on the major differences in these towns? Culture, personality, pros/cons, etc and which area would be the best investment for resale. In a nutshell - which is the more desirable area? They are all w/in easy commute for my husband. We are interested in being in a good school district.

Also, is the Princeton boro school district heads and shoulders over these others? Would it be better to buy a tiny house in the "boro" than a newer, larger house in one of these suburbs, if school is the main consideration? (Although we also like the idea of being able to walk somewhere via sidewalks.) We are moving from a mainstreet New England town where we can even walk our child to school. 700k is our limit.
Princeton Borough and Township share one school district; Princeton Junction is a section of West Windsor, and West Windsor and Plainsboro (in adjacent Middlesex County) share a district. The districts are fairly close in quality; by some measures, WW-P is better, and by some measures, Princeton is better. There is much diversity, cultural and economic, in the Princetons, with established African American and growing Latino communities. West Windsor and Plainsboro are quite diverse; however, there is less diversity as far as income in the latter, and there are many, many more Asians (South and East) proportionally in West Windsor and Plainsboro. If you are looking for a more small-town New England feel, Princeton Borough is better; Cranbury does send its children to the Princeton schools, so that indeed may be a good option for you.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:22 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,103,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Actually, I just thought of something -

If 700K is your limit, I'd also look into Cranbury. Great schools as well, and they funnel into the Princeton district. Just make sure when you're looking, it's Cranbury schools and not East Windsor. Some homes have mailing addresses of Cranbury when they are actually part of East Windsor.

Cranbury is a beautiful, quiet little town, and it's the one that'll remind you the most of New England.

I know for a FACT there are several beautiful houses on the market in Cranbury that are well within your budget.

EDIT: And if walking your child to school is important, you'll fall fast, hard, and deeply in love with Cranbury.
Cranbury is beautiful. LIke Sweep said, watch out for the East Windsor section. It is not bad, but just a different atmosphere as compared to the true Cranbury. If you love open land and a small town feel, you will love Cranbury.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:29 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,526,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princetonbound View Post

To me there is no substitute for Princeton boro in the area, everwhere else is a compromise. You'll end up paying for address, convenience and schools not matter what town you ultimately choose. Princeton boro probably has little downside risk on a purchase but you get what you pay for. In a negotiable market, to me, it is wiser to shoot for the stars and go for the boro first, if you end up wanting cheaper housing then look elsewhere.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:44 PM

327 posts, read 1,199,231 times
I have a friend who teaches in Princeton and has had some experiences that I wouldn't have thought of in Princeton. There is a lower income section in Princeton, west of the main drag through campus I think. I've heard good things about West Windsor Plainsboro (WW-P) schools, but have not had kids that attended there.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:05 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,699,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
I have a friend who teaches in Princeton and has had some experiences that I wouldn't have thought of in Princeton. There is a lower income section in Princeton, west of the main drag through campus I think. I've heard good things about West Windsor Plainsboro (WW-P) schools, but have not had kids that attended there.
My kids are in WW-P and I couldn't be more pleased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey