Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 41,927 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am from NYC. I am male, and 25. I grew up with limited exposure to the jersey shore, except that I know Belmar and Manasquan are popular among my friends. When i visit them I get great food, and a lively bar/club scene. I want to rent next summer!

My friends in manasquan say that it is better--more diverse, more friendly, less police action towards renters/tourists. My friends in Belmar respectfully disagree, and say their beach is cleaner, and the nightlife is better. In my limited experiences, I'd say the people I met in Manasquan (as in fellow renters) were nicer and more open. Is that the general reputation? Or did I just run into morons in Belmar?

Is Manasquan cheaper than Belmar? If not, and prices are equal, which is better, if taking quality into consideration? I don't want an arrest record just because I cough on my porch. But I also want to have fun. I'll be honest--I expect to go out, meet people, and drink. Please advise.

THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 02:23 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,925 times
I believe rental prices are similar in the 2 towns. Both towns have similar vibes...there are lots of families and lots of 20-somethings. Both have good nightlife. I read an article that Belmar is getting very strict with partying renters.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:10 PM

interesting, didn't the mayor of the town also get in trouble for being cheeky with staten islanders? lol That actually endears him to me a little, to be honest.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:34 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,903,642 times
Belmar is the ultimate NJ Shore party town. But it can be a bit rough with all the meat-head guidos. And yes the people are not as friendly as Manasquan. And the police force is tough. Both of your groups of friends are correct. It just comes down to how hard you want to party.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:57 PM

316 posts, read 942,935 times
different scenes. Manasquan - more laid back, 20 - somethings, beach / surfing scene, nice decent beach bars w/ bands for nightlife.

bellmar - less nightlife but a couple decent places, more "clubby", more "meatheads", more a "see and be seen" beach scene

Old 08-26-2008, 05:56 AM

438 posts, read 964,966 times
belmar has a HUGE police crackdown this year. the fun is being sucked out of the town and I really can't blame them. they've closed the main clubs on the beach strip and the last one left (djays)I have from a very reliable source, is going to get the wrecking ball next. Don't know much about Squan this year. I never cared for it there to be honest.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:08 AM

857 posts, read 2,001,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieguns View Post
different scenes. Manasquan - more laid back, 20 - somethings, beach / surfing scene, nice decent beach bars w/ bands for nightlife.

bellmar - less nightlife but a couple decent places, more "clubby", more "meatheads", more a "see and be seen" beach scene
what he said.

Beware though - form what i hear, because of the huge police crackdown, a lot of the guidos are making their way down to manasquan.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:50 AM

I expect to see some guidos in Jersey. At least they keep the restaurants open =). But it's looking like if I want just some rather than ALL, I might have to do manasquan

Old 08-27-2008, 08:24 AM

792 posts, read 3,136,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Belmar is the ultimate NJ Shore party town. But it can be a bit rough with all the meat-head guidos.
Are you confusing it with Seaside Heights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
And yes the people are not as friendly as Manasquan.
How does Pt. Pleasant rate for friendliness? That place seems sort of "uptight" at times.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:34 AM

53 posts, read 120,313 times
Being from this area I would suggest neither, your best bet for a summer rental is probably Point Pleasant or any town south of that. Belmar, and Manasquan are more of a "local" area and will usually have more police activity and aggression from the locals. Areas like Point Pleasant, Seaside, Wildwood, LBI, and others are areas to the south are more "tourist friendly". Those areas usually have great night lifes, tons of bars, good beaches, house parties everywhere, and limited interferance by police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey