Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:01 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,325,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I lived in FL. I miss Publix. The store brand items were very very good. They had baggers and very nice staff. The prices were lower too.

I also miss Zaxby's but that is another story.
Publix is great. I spend a lot of time in Florida due to parent's illness and I love Publix. They have good products, good prices and the workers are friendly. They make good subs too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 11:37 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,771 times
Acck I probably have stood behind you. I hate that! I have things to do and generally don't have time to wait around while errands take twice as long to get done than they have to. Sorry, I also view it as a bit lazy that a person can't just bag their own groceries - you aren't paying for an experience here - it's not like you went to a restaurant. And chances are I am behind you b/c it was the shortest line. I NEVER go into express unless I have items that fall within the limits. One over and I am considerate enough to either put something back or go into regular checkout (another pet peeve of mine when people don't pay attention to the limits - they are there for a REASON).

And as for your concern about the cashier being lazy - What do they care what they do for you? Bag or no bagging they can leave when their time is up. The longer the line gets - oh well. I have seen a few feel bad for the people who wind up having to wait a real long time in line so people can get the full checkout experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Oh my, this is a pet peeve of mine. I will miss the courtesy here! It's actually not courtesy, it's people doing their jobs, and usually with smile.

We in NJ created lazy cashiers. We started bagging all our own groceries because we were in such a rush to get out of the store. Now, they EXPECT us to do their work and act as if they're doing us a favor if they put something in a bag. I think what really bothers me is that they all have the bags situated right next to the scanner. All they have to do is scan and drop. ???

So, if you are ever in Monmouth County and standing behind an annoying lady waiting for the cashier to bag her groceries....yep, that's me. If you don't like it, go to the self checkout.

I told you it's a pet peeve.

I guess not pumping gas anymore balances things out, though.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 AM

622 posts, read 3,112,543 times
I'm usually done bagging when the cashier is donre scanning. I'm superfast. They do sometimes help when they're done and I'm still bagging, but that;s when I have a lot of groceries, in which case I end up in costco for that anyway. Shoprite is the quick shopping place. Costco is the long list of stuff to get. $300- $400 at a time. ouch.

I've heard once or twice "Thanks for bagging" by a cashier and it was nice to hear. Caught me by surprise, but it was nice.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:53 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,771 times
Yes I get told that alot as well. I am doing myself a favor though too. My groceries get bagged the way I like - I get in/out so I can get on with my day, and I am exhibiting a bit of courtesy to others around me as well, who I don't hold up b/c I want the full experience of having someone service me. As an aside I could never understand how people don't feel a bit embarrassed standing there doing nothing while they wait and watch someone else do something that they are perfectly capable of helping with. It's just not how I was raised I guess.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:57 AM

468 posts, read 580,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
To answer the poster's question regarding Wegman's, it's a supermarket that has everything you could possibly imagine and more. If you choose the store brand or loss leaders, the prices are low, but you can also find that rare ingredient in your cookbook that you had never heard of before. They have a fresh meat and seafood case that offers the highest restaurant quality selections and you could also find the tube of chuck if you want that. They also have several foods-to-go stations: Asian, Pizza, Sushi, etc... It's also a very nicely polished store with lots of eye candy. I don't know if they all do, but the one in Princeton / W.Windsor has a child watch play area. I know that other supermarkets have this too, but theirs puts the others to shame.
Ok now that's innovative

Old 10-17-2008, 04:05 PM

646 posts, read 2,667,815 times
Compatition is what is killing service in the grocery business.I know it's good and keeps prices down ...so don't get me wrong but in order to keep the almighty cost down cut here cut there, service is what suffers along with customers.

Top grocery stores..........

Wegman's ,Whole Foods,Harris Tetters,Giant Food/Stop and Shop,Kings

Average...A+P,ShopRite,Pathmark,Safeway

Worst..............Food Lion,Walmart,Sam's club,Shoppers Food Warehouse.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:29 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,493,860 times
We have Save-A-Lot stores here and you have to buy bags AND bag your own stuff.
I prefer to bag my own stuff because I put all the things in bags together that go in the same spot in my home (freezer-cupboards-fridge-bathroom, etc.) I hate when someone bags my bread with my Fantastik cleanser.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:32 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,493,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Compatition is what is killing service in the grocery business.I know it's good and keeps prices down ...so don't get me wrong but in order to keep the almighty cost down cut here cut there, service is what suffers along with customers.

Top grocery stores..........

Wegman's ,Whole Foods,Harris Tetters,Giant Food/Stop and Shop,Kings

Average...A+P,ShopRite,Pathmark,Safeway

Worst..............Food Lion,Walmart,Sam's club,Shoppers Food Warehouse.

wal-Mart is one of the WORST?? I do a lot of my food shopping there...the prices are lower than other places. However I think Shop-Rite has 'em all beat...you can get stuff cheaper there than the dollar stores.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:50 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
to the OP - the only time i've seen workers bring your bags to the car as a matter of course is in Publix in Florida. It really surprised me.

As far as bagging, some stores will have the bags right in front of the cashier so they just plop it in as they scan.

As far as Wegman's, love it and wish they'd open up one around here, I think it would do great.
-grins-

Guess where I work? We have those here too, ya know...

Old 10-17-2008, 08:54 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
I'm usually done bagging when the cashier is donre scanning. I'm superfast. They do sometimes help when they're done and I'm still bagging, but that;s when I have a lot of groceries, in which case I end up in costco for that anyway. Shoprite is the quick shopping place. Costco is the long list of stuff to get. $300- $400 at a time. ouch.

I've heard once or twice "Thanks for bagging" by a cashier and it was nice to hear. Caught me by surprise, but it was nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
Yes I get told that alot as well. I am doing myself a favor though too. My groceries get bagged the way I like - I get in/out so I can get on with my day, and I am exhibiting a bit of courtesy to others around me as well, who I don't hold up b/c I want the full experience of having someone service me. As an aside I could never understand how people don't feel a bit embarrassed standing there doing nothing while they wait and watch someone else do something that they are perfectly capable of helping with. It's just not how I was raised I guess.
Since I also cashier..I'd like to tell you both a big THANK YOU. It is very difficult to handle your order, count your change, operate the register AND bag groceries sometimes, especially if its busy and a big order is involved.
So, thanks! We DO notice when it is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey