Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:46 PM

253 posts, read 997,158 times

Advertisements

Clifton Commons in "off hours" only - I agree too crowded otherwise.

Yes - I MISS THE FRANKLIN in Nutley too. It reminded me of the old Park Theater in Caldwell - if you're old enough to remember. We knew the owner of the Franklin, he just couldn't stay in business once Clifton Commons opened up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 09:53 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
Did not know Caldwell. Was a theater in Caldwell that effected by a theater in Clifton? They are not that close really. The Allwood in Clifton is still doing ok despite the AMC opening in Clifton Commons. I think you are appealing to different crowds.

Franklin closed after the wall collapsed in the main theater - DURING a movie. Not good! LOL! But yeah, it was old time and I liked it.

Anyone remember the GRAND old theaters in Jersey City? I remember going to the Lowe's in Jersey City w/ my grandma for the "Disney Summer Festival" back in the 70's and man, it felt like you were going to an event. And the theater was not even in it's Glory Days by a long shot then... but it was still breathtaking. So was the Stanley. I BARELY remember that, I remember seeing DUMBO there when I was about 4 and I remember my grandmother dropping my parents off to see The Sting there.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:13 PM

469 posts, read 1,640,542 times
Is there still a drive-in move theatre(s) in new jersey? like northern nj?

Old 10-27-2008, 11:04 AM

505 posts, read 1,762,776 times
Wow, suprised no one has mentioned the AMC theaters in Rockaway, NJ. Amazing complex- relatively new (2 yrs old?) 16 screen complex. All theaters have stadium seating, reclining chairs with liftable armrests.

Only real problem with it is that there arent really any restaurants per se in the area, just places like Panera.

However the theaters are top notch.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:58 PM

253 posts, read 997,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Did not know Caldwell. Was a theater in Caldwell that effected by a theater in Clifton? They are not that close really. The Allwood in Clifton is still doing ok despite the AMC opening in Clifton Commons. I think you are appealing to different crowds.

Franklin closed after the wall collapsed in the main theater - DURING a movie. Not good! LOL! But yeah, it was old time and I liked it.

Anyone remember the GRAND old theaters in Jersey City? I remember going to the Lowe's in Jersey City w/ my grandma for the "Disney Summer Festival" back in the 70's and man, it felt like you were going to an event. And the theater was not even in it's Glory Days by a long shot then... but it was still breathtaking. So was the Stanley. I BARELY remember that, I remember seeing DUMBO there when I was about 4 and I remember my grandmother dropping my parents off to see The Sting there.
Wow, I didn't know about the wall at the Franklin - Yikes!

There was an old movie theater in Caldwell on the corner of Bloomfield and Forest Ave where the bank is now. It burned down in 1973 "mysteriously". It was a grand old movie theater with a balcony, and I spent many a Saturday afternoon there as a kid. The Franklin reminded me of that. Funny, but the last owner of the Franklin grew up in Caldwell too.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 7,738 times
there's an outdoor movie theater on Montville; Morris Cnty, NJ called the Big Screen Solution-
address ? phone 888.878.6070. Unsure is it;s open year-round - - -

Old 09-26-2009, 03:41 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
There is a drive in movie theatre up in Warwick, NY just over the line fron Vernon, NJ and also there might be one somewhere down by where that new auto race track is in Southern NJ by Millville?

Warwick links:

* Warwick Drive-in Movie Theatre * :-: New York Drive-ins :-: * Warwick, NY Theatres and Cinemas *

What's Playing at the Warwick Drive-In Theater (http://webusers.warwick.net/~u1006131/driveinmovie/playing.htm - broken link)

Old 09-26-2009, 03:44 AM

Here's one in S Jersey, the Delsea drive in, but I would call first if you're planning to go since the schedule lists something from June:

Delsea Drive-in Movie Theatre * :-: MOVIE SCHEDULE :-: * New Jersey Drive-ins ** Delsea Drivein - Vineland, New Jersey, NJ *******

Update: this page says NJ has no operating drive ins but mentions the TriState up in Matamoras, PA, which another page says is not open?
PA has like 35 drive in theaters still operating they say:

http://www.driveinmovie.com/NJ.htm

Last edited by captne76; 09-26-2009 at 03:58 AM..

Old 09-26-2009, 03:57 AM

Here's a list of mostly former drive ins in NJ with other states linked at the bottom:
New Jersey Open DI's

Old 09-26-2009, 06:21 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
Is there still a drive-in move theatre(s) in new jersey? like northern nj?

I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey