Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 02:38 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,718,142 times

Advertisements

I was at the Liberty Humane Society in Jersey City yesterday dropping off dog treats, toys, and paper towels when I fell in love with this chocolate lab. Such a sweet dog that looks like he had a rough start in life. Seems that all he wants is to be loved.

Now, I have never owned a dog on my own, so should I go for it? How long does it take to housebreak a dog? Anyone here ever rescue a dog from a shelter?

I went to Shake-a-Paw in Union on Saturday night with the GF and she was telling me that those dogs come from puppy mills, so that's out of the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 02:48 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
dear, and i say this with the utmost sensitivity....get the dog after the job, please? if you DID already get a job, then #1) CONGRATS! and #2) check with your new place and make sure you're allowed, and your complex/apt has enough room for a dog to run around - chocolate labs can get big.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
dear, and i say this with the utmost sensitivity....get the dog after the job, please? if you DID already get a job, then #1) CONGRATS! and #2) check with your new place and make sure you're allowed, and your complex/apt has enough room for a dog to run around - chocolate labs can get big.

true true. good point. those eyes did it for me but I need to take care of me first.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:08 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
As I've told you in my DM's it can go any way here!

Old 11-15-2008, 09:56 AM

144 posts, read 158,802 times
Chocolate labs are great family dogs. They will be your shadow-your best friend.
I personally have one and would never get a different breed. They don't get that
big really. They can get wide if you feed them too much. Go for it!!! Get him or her
before someone else snatches that rare lab at the shelter.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:12 PM

The little guy was adopted last week. He's going to such a great home with a big yard! Young family with 2 kids living out in Pompton Plains.

He will be just fine. Now if someone would just adopt the Husky I will be happy as can be.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:31 PM

37 posts, read 136,140 times
There is a wonderful book called "How to get your dog to do what you want" by Warren Eckstein. His website is very helpful and he has a radio show on WOR 7:10 am Sat. 4:00 to 6:00 pm. Only problem is he is pre-empted by Rutgers games.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:25 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
I need to get that book, because my rather new little doggie is driving me to the funny farm today.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:00 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post

Great advice Tahiti! Out of rep points for you at the moment for you but I'll make sure I come back and give you a couple when I'm restocked
And Hoboken guy... I think a puppy or dog is a great idea for you once you get back on track! Unconditional love... someone who will need you to stick around and take care of them... your "special purpose"

Old 11-17-2008, 10:02 PM

52 posts, read 207,025 times
I have adopted all of my animals (except the fish and the birds) from animals shelters. Some shelters still euthenize animals, if you could believe that one! I go to one that rescue them from these animals. I have adopted 3 cats and 2 dogs so far. We had our 1st 2 cats in an apartment and they adjusted just fine! But we don't let our cats out anyway. They live longer and bug free if you keep them inside. My animals bring me such joy. I couldn't even imagine my life without them. I don't do anything special for training, I just love them and treat them with respect. I get that back 2-3 times over from them. They sit when I say sit, they come when I call them - Hey, if my kids behaved as well as my pets, my life would be perfect! So anyone ever considers a pet, I say go for it! But don't buy them from a puppy mill, rescue them from a shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey