Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:42 PM

58 posts, read 172,045 times

Advertisements

hi everyone
I am in very difficult position after getting yesterday a speed ticket .
I was fast in the left lane, about 75 to 80 miles per hour. I saw the trooper so I slow down and I saw him starting his car right away. By the time I got close to him i was going with 65 miles per hour. He pulled me over and said that I was going 96 miles per hour.
I admit I was fast but in 287 in the left lane I was going with the flow and not flying.
Truthfully, there is no way I could go that fast. No way.
The faster that I ever reach is 80 miles per hour. So he gave me a 5 point ticket despite I told him that I wasn't 96 miles per hour.

I do have 2 tickets from last March, reduced 2 points through the online class and 2 points from prosecutor and having 2 points left, I was waiting to get rid of the 2 points .
Now definitely I will need an Attorney. Know that.
The one that I contact told me that will cost me up to 1500 $ and the fine 500 more.

What you think my chances are???
What they more likely will do??
----Reduce my points to 2 or 3 or use 97-2 with no points but higher insurance????

Thank you..Elena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 06:47 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,561 times
You shouldn't be driving 80 miles an hour anyway. Maybe if your insurance goes up you'll learn not to drive that fast.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:01 PM

300 posts, read 914,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena121 View Post
hi everyone
I am in very difficult position after getting yesterday a speed ticket .
I was fast in the left lane, about 75 to 80 miles per hour. I saw the trooper so I slow down and I saw him starting his car right away. By the time I got close to him i was going with 65 miles per hour. He pulled me over and said that I was going 96 miles per hour.
I admit I was fast but in 287 in the left lane I was going with the flow and not flying.
Truthfully, there is no way I could go that fast. No way.
The faster that I ever reach is 80 miles per hour. So he gave me a 5 point ticket despite I told him that I wasn't 96 miles per hour.

I do have 2 tickets from last March, reduced 2 points through the online class and 2 points from prosecutor and having 2 points left, I was waiting to get rid of the 2 points .
Now definitely I will need an Attorney. Know that.
The one that I contact told me that will cost me up to 1500 $ and the fine 500 more.

What you think my chances are???
What they more likely will do??
----Reduce my points to 2 or 3 or use 97-2 with no points but higher insurance????

Thank you..Elena
I dont have sympathy for you driving 20+ but I understand that 90% of the traffic tickets are completely money making scam. I was given 2 pt ticket because the guy said I didnt stop enough. Cmon give me a break, how many ppl stop according to book, stop, count 1,2,3 and go.

Here is my suggestion, go to the court and when you talk with prosecutor be firm and tell you want to contest and you have proof that you are not going above 96. Come up with logical argument like "how can he be so accurate to 96 mph" or "287 you cannot drive above 80 mph during day time" or any BS and suggest compromise of 2 point ticket or no point ticket. If you hold to your guns, he will ask you to talk with one of the lawyer there who regularly there for somebody. Make deal with lawyer, probably he will reduce your ticket to 2 points for $150-$200.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:52 AM

469 posts, read 1,640,542 times
Fight it! These state troopers are scum of the earth, and we are in the police state of new jersey. You can buy cheap surveilance cameras and put one by your speedometer and one on the dashboard or something. You can find that cheap. Do that, you won't even need an attorney next time and you will have proof. Thing is - don't ever tell em you have it. Good luck, I'll say a Prayer for you!

Old 12-04-2008, 05:02 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
I have a good answer, since this is your second speeding ticket in 6 months SLOW DOWN. It's your fault.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:29 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
My rule is 9 over on highways. However 80, and 96 are a huge difference. any chance you are driving in a car, like a BMW Where you can go 110 and not "feel" it?

Old 12-04-2008, 06:17 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
It's easy to go over the speed limit especially if everyone around you is also speeding. I myself go at least 5 over, some days more.

The attorney I use is in Burlington County, what county did you get the ticket in?

If I was you, I would take my car to a mechanic to have it tested to make sure your speedometer is right.

I think I'd fight this one. 96 is pretty fast, did you ask to see the radar machine?

Old 12-04-2008, 06:24 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Good luck in getting ticket reduced.

But.... please SLOW DOWN !!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
You shouldn't be driving 80 miles an hour anyway. Maybe if your insurance goes up you'll learn not to drive that fast.
you are right but if you go slow you still can get a ticket and have everybody yelling at you.
And I was going with the flow..in a empty 287 with nice clear weather..
I admit I wasn't right but 96 is not true.
My ins. will kill me..

Old 12-04-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by practicalposts View Post
I dont have sympathy for you driving 20+ but I understand that 90% of the traffic tickets are completely money making scam. I was given 2 pt ticket because the guy said I didnt stop enough. Cmon give me a break, how many ppl stop according to book, stop, count 1,2,3 and go.

Here is my suggestion, go to the court and when you talk with prosecutor be firm and tell you want to contest and you have proof that you are not going above 96. Come up with logical argument like "how can he be so accurate to 96 mph" or "287 you cannot drive above 80 mph during day time" or any BS and suggest compromise of 2 point ticket or no point ticket. If you hold to your guns, he will ask you to talk with one of the lawyer there who regularly there for somebody. Make deal with lawyer, probably he will reduce your ticket to 2 points for $150-$200.
you don't have sympathy for me but thank you for replying.
I don't know how accurate is laser method.
I don't dare to go without a lawyer but mine asked a lot..
750-1500$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey