Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:10 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,344 times

Advertisements

New resident to UC, just purchased my first home, and Im doing some (ok, a lot of) rennovating. Everything is being done to code, just most without permits.

For those living in the area or that have worked in the area, how is UC in regards to permits and people working on housing. Im wondering with all of this construction and rennovating going on if its high on their priority list, but I have a pretty small place, not a multi unit building, and im not attracting much attention (no dumpster or construction crew always there, and outside is not being remodeled yet).

Hate to go to sell the house in 10 years and run into major issues. So far "thats how I bought the house" is my defense.

Edit - Im sure this is important as well.
-New sheetrock on most of the old walls.
-Updated electric
-New heating system
-New Kitchen
Thats the major parts, the rest is just small stuff, new or refinished floors, chiminey flue, paint, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 07:25 PM

no one from UC here, contractors, or anyone that has done work there huh.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 6,511 times
Default UC Resident

Hey, I know your post is over a year old and you got no replies. But how did you make out with your renovations? Did you ever get permits?
I am new to the area and I am also going to do similar work to what you did. I am getting paranoid about doing work without permits. But I don't want to pay a lot either.
Also I will be accumulating a lot of trash (rubbish). I know the UC sanitation will not be picking any of it up. Any suggestions on what to do with the trash? I know some obvious ways but I am hoping to see pick your brains and see what you did. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:57 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,195 times
Best thing I can tell you is look up on the union city website a number to contact about this. Nice to see people renovating their places to improve the quality I'll be a UC resident by mid year

Old 02-07-2011, 12:07 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,272 times
The bottom line with permits is that you should get them. In reality they very rarely have any affect on the future sale of the home. The worst thing that could happen, IF THINGS ARE DONE TO CODE, is that they force you to get the permit after the fact, get inspected and probably make minor changes( they will also update your tax assessment at this time so expect an increase). However keep in mind that if you do get caught in the process of the renovation get ready for hell. It's a $2000 fine, a stop work order is issued(which is a big ugly red sign that goes in a very visible location on your property) and they will go over every inch of the renovation with a fine tooth comb probably making you tear out and redo a good portion if everything is not 100000% compliant. No matter how good your contractor is nothing is ever 100000% compliant with code.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 5,118 times
Do I need a permit to replace a floating wood floor with another floor of the same type.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:40 AM

For a floating would floor, I would say no.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 8,948 times
Hi, This looks like an old thread but relevant to permits.
Trying to get some repairs and wanted your experience with permits and inspections. The building department are asking a lot of paperwork, the fees seem to be very high compared to the cost of repairs and things are very slow. Wondering if you have similar experience.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,453 times
Hi, my question might be relevant to this thread. I submitted application form to get permission for renovation, which is involved pluming. It has been over a month and I kept calling City Hall but every time I call, they give me different answer. I don't even know my paper is in process anymore. Does anyone know how long it takes to get permission in UC ?

Old 07-12-2013, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 8,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMACGo View Post
Hi, my question might be relevant to this thread. I submitted application form to get permission for renovation, which is involved pluming. It has been over a month and I kept calling City Hall but every time I call, they give me different answer. I don't even know my paper is in process anymore. Does anyone know how long it takes to get permission in UC ?
Similar experience. It takes over a month just to get a permit. Wondering if this city will ever improve when city administration discourages improvements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: