Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:37 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times

Advertisements

Title said FORDS.

The areas there are well defined not like you'd find in the Newark area where the towns and masses blend into each other across undefined town borders.

Beautiful sections of Perth Amboy too along the waterfront along with a recently updated boat basin, home to Raritan Bay yacht club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 06:26 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Sorry, didn't see the title. Brain moved quicker than my eyes.

I'm sure there are beautiful sections, kind of like Newark, etc. It's just getting to them..

I'm a little jaded after having worked with the delinquent youth of Perth Amboy and getting around there was no joke.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:35 AM

7 posts, read 37,314 times
Default Budget Answer

Hi, thanks for the responses....we'd be looking to buy something and spend note more than about $525K. Any other suggestions with that information? Thanks.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,722 times
Best place to live near Woodbridge is town Colonia (zip 07067) which is actually part of Woodbridge Township. It is nice family area. Medium size ranch goes for ~320K. Rich section of Colonia is called Colonia Estates, same house would go for ~400K+, but there are also many big houses for 700K-1.5M. Good schools and even a private golf club is there.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:19 PM

6 posts, read 35,175 times
I've spent the majority of my life in Edison, and I went to High School in North Edison. I have also spent time (from a month to a few years) in New York City, Paris, Shanghai, Baltimore, etc... Obviously Edison is nothing like those places, but in some a way it is a better place to live. You have everything you could possibly want within a 15 minute radius including 2 large indoor malls, costco's, 2 wal-marts, etc... you get the picture. A very convenient place. I personnally hate walking, and it is nice to always be in your car (if you are lazy like me).

You are about a 28 minute drive (I timed it) from Newark Airport (direct flights to London, Paris, Shanghai, Beijing, etc...)

There are 3 train stations around. One of them, Metropark, is an amtrak stop (2 hours to Baltimore, 2 1/2 hours to DC) while NJ Transit stops at all of the 3 stops. It is about 45 minutes to Midtown NYC on these trains.

In addition, I go to the beach all the time in summer and its about a 50 minute drive to Belmar. Again this is not Hawaii, Florida, or Southern France, but it's good enough. Good luck!

Old 02-13-2009, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 35,175 times
oh and depending on where you are in (North) Edison, Iselin is about a 5-25 minute drive taking shortcuts during rush hour

Old 02-13-2009, 02:56 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,634,376 times
Red Bank is nice too, and closer to the beach.

Prices are falling and expected to drop 25% in 2009, so take your time and look around. Best bet is probably to rent for the first year you're here, that way you can take your time and get to know the area before you buy anything. And you may end up saving yourself six-figures in the process!

Welcome to NJ!

Old 02-13-2009, 07:53 PM

329 posts, read 1,529,208 times
try south edison (www.lennar.com) 303k for 2 bed 2 bath - brand new.

easy access to parkway, turnpike.

close to metuchen (3 mile) and metro park station (5 mile).

north edison is good too -- but expensive homes there.

or try matawan (20 miles to iselin) or middletown(29 miles). they have henry hudson bike trail access and access to other nature trails. but you have to swith trains in rahway(i think) if you are commuting to iselin.

www.njtransit.com

Last edited by lets_hope_for_newbruns; 02-13-2009 at 08:37 PM..

Old 02-13-2009, 07:56 PM

329 posts, read 1,529,208 times
oops i forgot to add -- avoid rentals in edison. most places are infested with bed bugs and roaches.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:26 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,461,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgivens View Post
Hello, I am looking at a possible job transfer from Colorado to a new office in Iselin. My husband and I are not at all familiar with NJ and are wondering what areas within a 30-45 min drive from Iselin would be nice areas to live for a married couple with no children. We'd like to be 'close' to the beach, meaning within 45 minutes, and have a nice, safe area with access to transit, etc. My husband grew up in rural France and I've been a Northeastern girl my whole life except these last 3 years in Colorado (another job transfer). We're curious about areas like Edison, Woodbridge, and any possible good areas to consider south of there? Any suggestions? Thank you!
If you want to be closer to the city then try Colonia , Rahway (inman hgts,milton lake or hospital sections) Clark or cranford (it depends on what kind of nightlife if any you are looking for
you would still be within 45 minutes to the beaches

If you want to be further away from the city then try Marlboro , Manalapan or even freehold to start
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey