Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:22 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
If you're planning on getting into that kind of scuffle with your condo association, I would recommend moving first. I can't even imagine what they would do to you if you brought a lawsuit on them.
Hmmm very valid point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 02:28 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,757,400 times
I beleive the op got a speeding ticket issued by the condo association. They may or may not have been fined for cursing at a committeee member as well (but I might be thinking of a different person).

My personal opinion is that you have to stand up for the issues you are passionate about. If this speeding ticket is getting to you to the point that you feel emotional distress then to hell with whatever everyone else is saying here on the forum. Go down there and state your case and fight for what you think is right. Hire a lawyer, find everyone you can who has also gotten a speeding ticket in the complex, sell your car, take out a loan, take them to court and have a judge rule on their jurisdiction, sue them for the time and effort in fighting them on a stupid issue. Bring it to the grand jury if you have to.

Or, if your just a little miffed by the issue. Shut up, pay the fine and stop whining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
If you're planning on getting into that kind of scuffle with your condo association, I would recommend moving first. I can't even imagine what they would do to you if you brought a lawsuit on them.
What can they do? If the OP is following all the rules there is nothing they can do to single him/her out or "punish" him/her for simply being a pain in the butt.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:42 AM

323 posts, read 575,600 times
if you sue the association ,wont monthly fees go up to pay for that action?
goodluck in trying to get others to support you in that

Old 01-17-2009, 08:26 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,621,229 times
was with you on that Kate I never liked lawsuits but until I sustained permanent damage to to one persons stupidity and since I have to live this way the rest of my life my opinion changed. Not that money will change anything but maybe one day they will find a way to make it a little bit easier for me.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:45 AM

312 posts, read 1,164,340 times
emotional distress over a speeding ticket? grow up, pay the fine, and move on

Old 01-17-2009, 12:02 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,899,310 times
Of course everyone is different but I am a strong believer that we are far too fast to run to a lawyer to "get our share." As a woman in the business world I have experienced clear and well documented discrimination on 2 occasions (one of which truly did cause emotional distress so much so that I did have to seek the care of a professional - who convinced me that I had to take control of my situation...I quit the job) yet I moved on without ever suing.

The OP asked when is worth suing. When you feel that it is morally the right thing to do and when you can justify the outcome as having served as a lesson to those that your are suing. Personally I think that the suit would add stress to your life.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:04 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,564 times
I have about 15 responses but I'm scared of Tahiti's Red Font of Doom

Old 01-17-2009, 12:11 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
I have about 15 responses but I'm scared of Tahiti's Red Font of Doom

OMG, LMAO. "RFOD"

Old 01-17-2009, 12:27 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
OMG, LMAO. "RFOD"

The RFOD inflicts emotional distress on me.

I'm suing! I'm very injured!

Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satch View Post
The most consistent replies I've been getting to my posts about suing our condo association for inten. infliction of emotionl distress is that it's not worth it, costs too much money, too much time, too much of a hassle, etc.

Ok I buy that. But I'm curious if it's that much of a hassle, when IS it worth suing for inten. infliction of emotional distress??

Just curious
The only success I've seen in intentional infliction cases are situations where a business is involved. For instance if you have an elderly mother in a nursing home, and one of the aides tells your parent all of her family died in a plane crash. This case resulted in a lawsuit against the facility which involved a much larger settlement.

I've seen smaller examples where an ex-spouse will traumatize the the other making them unable to work, or scared to leave the house, causing monetary losses due to loss of wages. More of an alimony type case than Intentional infliction though.

Similar to your situation, I know of a case where a landlord told the tennant they were being evicted, and that if they didn't move out by "this weekend" all of their belongings would be destroyed and they'd be arrested for trespassing. This only resulted in the immediate costs of moving, and a 1 year lease at another facility. Not worth the attorney's fees.

In short, it's only worth it if you have "helpless" individuals involved (elderly/children/disabled).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey