Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:39 PM

983 posts, read 2,772,988 times

Advertisements

How about some South Jersey towns?

Haddonfield & Cherry Hill are 2 of my favorites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 01:01 PM

481 posts, read 1,086,077 times
I am one of the ex NJ residents to live in NC and we love it! No more crappy commutes for me, mild winters, tons of families with many kid friendly things to do. We have been here 4 years and would not want to move back. My family is still there and miss that at times but way more pro's than con's. Contrary to what many believe there is a lot of culture here. There are history and art museums, Opera, Ballet, many artsy stores in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill. All depends what you are looking for. Not that NJ was a bad place to raise a family, but the towns we would love to live all cost way more for us in house prices and INSANE property taxes. I used pay over 5k for my small 40 year old house in Old Bridge. We bought an 9 year old home, more space and I pay about $1600 a year! Plus I don't have to commute up and down the turnpike and gsp every day.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:05 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
ya shoulda bought in South jersey. I don't have none of that and LOVE it here. Forget NC.. No thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishellina View Post
I am one of the ex NJ residents to live in NC and we love it! No more crappy commutes for me, mild winters, tons of families with many kid friendly things to do. We have been here 4 years and would not want to move back. My family is still there and miss that at times but way more pro's than con's. Contrary to what many believe there is a lot of culture here. There are history and art museums, Opera, Ballet, many artsy stores in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill. All depends what you are looking for. Not that NJ was a bad place to raise a family, but the towns we would love to live all cost way more for us in house prices and INSANE property taxes. I used pay over 5k for my small 40 year old house in Old Bridge. We bought an 9 year old home, more space and I pay about $1600 a year! Plus I don't have to commute up and down the turnpike and gsp every day.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:51 PM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishellina View Post
A few other things your missing in the NJ/NY area

1. Jersey shore
2. Philadelphia
3. Local area access to decent reliable skiing venues
4. New York City (all of it)
5. Choice of more than 1 decent zoo, museum and other cultural venues
6. Water water everywhere
7. Major gambling venue (AC)
8. Superior education
9. Superior food in all aspects
10. Nice rural areas that are dotted with gentleman farms not shacks and the local sheriff letting you know if your particular race should be in "these parts"
11. True diversity
12. If you have children, the amount of choices you have of places to take them dwarfs anywhere in the United States

I'm sure I missed alot...

Old 07-10-2009, 01:57 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
please, let's not make this a charlotte vs nj thread.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:07 PM

66 posts, read 194,456 times
Hohokus is great.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:29 PM

131 posts, read 420,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
Hohokus is great.
I grew up there. Currently live in Ramsey, NJ now though (renting for the time being). Many northern Bergen County towns are an amazing place to raise a family, with some top rate public schools. The taxes and the price of homes are still pretty aweful though.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:20 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,458,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew in Jersey View Post
We're looking to make that ULTIMATE decision, with the usual criteria: a sense of community - good schools - attractive neighborhoods - a walkable downtown - no McMansions - in short, CHARM and old-fashioned "neighborly-ness."

I grew up in Montclair - while I like the diversity, culture and restaurants, the population is too transient (folks don't stay there, moving as soon as kids get out of school), taxes too high - and in general, too much 'tude . For me, Bergen County the same - too much stifling competition and attitude - both lack ... innocence (which is maybe just a non-existent romantic notion...)

Moving to PA or the south - while a kinder, gentler way of life - may sacrifice too much of the culture criteria (though it does seem like EVERYONE is moving to North Carolina, right?

So here are my selections for the Holy Grail of NJ Addresses in which to Plant Roots:

1. Madison
2. Summit
3. The Caldwells
4. Chatham
5. Westfield
6. Basking Ridge
7. Red Bank / Middletown area
8. Scotch Plains
9. Clinton
10. Princeton

Please, all - what do you think? Am I missing any hidden gems?

Besides the towns you mentioned
You could also take a look in Colonia (middlesex county)

Old 07-10-2009, 08:08 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,624 times
Manasquan, Point Pleasant and Allentown all fit the bill. The first two are near the water, Allentown is inland, but all are great communities with lots of charm.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:18 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
#1- Montclair - Overall a successful, diverse, town with one of the best suburban downtown's in America.
#2- Verona - A very family oriented town with great schools.
#3- Tenafly - Some of the best public schools in America.
#4- Basking Ridge - Great schools and in a beautiful location
#5- Chatham - Best town to raise a family in its county
#6- Toms River - A very safe, fun, and family oriented town.
#7- Leonia - A great town when it comes to education and family.
#8- Nutley - Good schools and one of the most family oriented towns in NJ
#9- Maplewood - Diverse and the most family oriented town in NJ
#10- Cherry Hill - The best suburban town of Philly.

I could move to any of those places and be happy as a clam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey