Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,000 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My friend was visiting me in NJ and racked up about 7 parking tickets in the process. She lives in PA. She wasnt issued any of them in person to my knowledge they were left on the windshield of her car, she sold this car a few months after she got the tickets. Initially, though wrong, she ignored the situation and figured since she wasnt handed the tickets personally and was selling the car maybe they would just go away since they are associated with old plates. Now she is worrying obsessively to me that she doesnt have any information on them and they may hurt her. My questions are:

1. will NJ seek out a PA driver and arrest them for tickets they had in NJ
2. will her PA license be affected/suspended or something
3. Could she be arrested in PA for these NJ tickets if she is pulled over.
4. Does NJ eventually turn over tickets to collection agencies
5. What if anything could I do to help her get information on these tickets that are like 2 years old now. ( can I personally call anyone or would they possibly send her anymore notices that she could handle herself or is that unlikely since 2 years have passed?)
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 09:40 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,165,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laniepr View Post
Hello all,
My friend was visiting me in NJ and racked up about 7 parking tickets in the process. She lives in PA. She wasnt issued any of them in person to my knowledge they were left on the windshield of her car, she sold this car a few months after she got the tickets. Initially, though wrong, she ignored the situation and figured since she wasnt handed the tickets personally and was selling the car maybe they would just go away since they are associated with old plates. Now she is worrying obsessively to me that she doesnt have any information on them and they may hurt her. My questions are:

1. will NJ seek out a PA driver and arrest them for tickets they had in NJ
2. will her PA license be affected/suspended or something
3. Could she be arrested in PA for these NJ tickets if she is pulled over.
4. Does NJ eventually turn over tickets to collection agencies
5. What if anything could I do to help her get information on these tickets that are like 2 years old now. ( can I personally call anyone or would they possibly send her anymore notices that she could handle herself or is that unlikely since 2 years have passed?)
Thank you

She will lose her privilege to be able to drive in NJ if she does not address these tickets. It won't affect her PA license, but if she is pulled over while driving in NJ, she will be arrested for driving with a suspended license.

Does she know the townships she was in when she received the tickets?

Old 02-03-2009, 08:15 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,627,758 times
She ignored them (7 of them)...because she assumed that they wouldn't mean anything (7 of them)...because she wasn't handed them personally (7 of them)...and she was going to sell the car anyway?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:34 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,636,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
She will lose her privilege to be able to drive in NJ if she does not address these tickets. It won't affect her PA license, but if she is pulled over while driving in NJ, she will be arrested for driving with a suspended license
Not to argue with you, because I have no idea what the law is, but are you sure this is the case?

I'm not sure whether NJ has the power to unilaterally "ignore" an out of state resident's valid PA driver license, suspend that person's driving privileges, and treat that person as driving with a "suspended" license if they are caught driving in NJ.

They might issue a warrant for her arrest (based on failure to pay the parking tickets) but I'm not sure whether they can charge her with a new crime of driving with a "suspended" license in NJ, so long as she has a valid PA driver license. Driving with a suspended license is a pretty serious charge, and not one that really should be based on failure to pay parking tickets.

I would think if NJ wants to seek a suspension of her driver license, they would need to work with the PA DMV.

There's no question in my mind that she should seek to pay these tickets and put this behind her. She should probably make a call to the police department from the town where the ticket originated, explain the situation, and ask for copies of the original tickets, or at least for copies of the original ticket numbers. Then she can work from there with tracking them down and getting them paid.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:43 AM

7,222 posts, read 11,944,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
She ignored them (7 of them)...because she assumed that they wouldn't mean anything (7 of them)...because she wasn't handed them personally (7 of them)...and she was going to sell the car anyway?
LOL, sounds like a real genius.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:14 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,627,758 times
My question is this: how long did it take for her to rack up the 7 tickets, and what didn't she learn from the first ticket?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey