Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,474 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am moving to jersey city in a few weeks, buying a condo there. It's located on Crescent Avenue between Astor Place and Communipaw.
I've never lived in Jersey city before and don't know the area at all.

All the internet searches i've seen are frightened me a little bit. If anyone is living there, can you please tell me if the place really is dangerous, would i have trouble walking my dog around at nighttime, getting home from the Path, which is a 20/25 min walk away.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 10:04 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaubabum View Post
Hi

I am moving to jersey city in a few weeks, buying a condo there. It's located on Crescent Avenue between Astor Place and Communipaw.
I've never lived in Jersey city before and don't know the area at all.

All the internet searches i've seen are frightened me a little bit. If anyone is living there, can you please tell me if the place really is dangerous, would i have trouble walking my dog around at nighttime, getting home from the Path, which is a 20/25 min walk away.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Run do not walk do not pass go...run from that condo. Hopefully you can still get out of the deal

Did you go and look at this area first..during the day and at night???

Old 02-04-2009, 10:23 AM

6 posts, read 14,619 times
Terrible choice.... Too expensive for a neighborhood that will not thrive or have resale value anytime soon. Very offerpriced in any of the areas worth living.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:37 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Yeah, it's really not a great area of JC, at all. I wouldn't recommend walking around at night after dark. Didn't you research the area?

I'm all about investing in a neighborhood, but that neighborhood doesn't have many assets/upside.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 PM

6 posts, read 35,206 times
Don't buy it!! Comunipaw is def not a good area, right around the corner is ocean ave!!! I have actually had a police officer tell me if you're on ocean ave run every red light

Old 02-04-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Yeah, it's really not a great area of JC, at all. I wouldn't recommend walking around at night after dark. Didn't you research the area?

I'm all about investing in a neighborhood, but that neighborhood doesn't have many assets/upside.

Tommy, if memory serves me correct isn't Lincoln HS some where in that area

Old 02-04-2009, 12:18 PM

54 posts, read 248,506 times
yes, Lincoln HS is by that area. there's also a police precint about a block away.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
yes, Lincoln HS is by that area. there's also a police precint about a block away.
Yes the West District....the areas they patrol...well let's just say they have their hands full
I believe back in the day it was the 5th

Old 02-04-2009, 12:34 PM

87 posts, read 351,904 times
I had family who lived on Astor. We were always terrified to get out of the car. And I lived in Jersey City a few years ago, but when I moved there, I made sure I avoided that area.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:48 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Tommy, if memory serves me correct isn't Lincoln HS some where in that area
Yeah, Lincoln's right there.

Sadly, that entire area of JC is bad bad bad. I do NOT see it improving in any of our lifetimes. This is why I repeatedly only recommend Downtown JC on this forum...it's like night and day compared to the rest of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey